4K Bezel Overlay Variations

Well regardless, it’s great work and no one but an absolute perfectionist like yourself would notice unless it was pointed out.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I’m not exactly a perfectionist it’s more like OCD lol!

Yeah I noticed that on the pengo cab. I put a temp grab of the monitor frame in my overlay, till I got time to do a rework on it. I also had the backboard and speakergrill in as to stay as true to the original feel. @Dreamstate I got rid of the sega and serial number on the bezel in found on arcadeartwork.org. as I found it a bit to distracting and couldn’t find it on any photo’s of cabs on the net.

1 Like

Same here obviously. I just didn’t like it lol.

That’s… weird… assuming the copy you got was the one at arcadeartwork in the Arcade Bezels (Pixel Graphics, non vector) folder, then that is the exact same file as the one from my site. (Side note: everything in that folder was originally ripped from my site some time ago, along with 98% of the stuff at Home / Arcade / Mixed Artwork, along with a few things in a few other folders).

It wasn’t that I “avoided the challenge” when I first scanned this myself 14 years ago… I just didn’t have the capability to scan that inner part correctly at that time. It was on loan from a cabinet, and that particular bezel was already not in the best of shape. I attempted to fold the inner part flat, but I could tell that I was going to end up permanently damaging it if I continued, so I had to make do with what I had at the time.

If you want a good look at the complete bezel, with the inner part “flattened out,” Jeff Rothe tackled this some time ago: http://www.rotheblog.com/2008/04/arcade-game-artwork/pengo-bezel-artwork-update/

To address Briball… you don’t see the serial number or Sega copyright at the bottom of the bezel on a complete cab, as it is covered by the top of the control panel.

3 Likes

MAME black light special #4 Donkey Kong 3. I started working on this artwork over a year ago and it’s since gone through many different looks. I learned on the way how to make it look good in dim light, then black light. I struggled with the marquee in particular and left it only to return to it months later to continue work on it until I was satisfied enough to just show it to a few people for advice. I think it’s at the point now that I can release it to the public for you to enjoy. dkong3.zip

4 Likes

@ArsInvictus I just had to try this, not sure if it’s up to the quality, as i couldn’t find a high res pic of the coin door, but this was close, just a bit of touch-up. you can give me your 25ct worth :wink:

3 Likes

That looks awesome! I think the photo I saw the door was darker though? And there was a 25 cent light on both sides?

I’d love to use it and possibly tweak it myself if you don’t mind. Can you share a file of just the coin door?

1 Like

i found some other ref, the old coin door i think were metal so in your ref might just be dark reflection or painted black.

my ref i found:

2 Likes

Yeah, either way it’s an improvement. The only thing i would change is the placement if possible. Placed further down the panel might look a little better and to do that there’s going to have to be room made by shortening some things like the height of the speakers, the height of the control panel lip. Even 100 to 200 pixel shift down the cab will make a difference. Like the ratio of the gyruss cab above your post. Notice how the top of the coin door is shifted further down the cab. Just looks better when it’s further down. I like it and want to shove it in my personal version.

1 Like

That’s a great ref photo!

But for the original ref photo for Colony & I was using…It’s possible it’s just the lighting, but I don’t know, it really does look black, could there have been two versions of that coin door?

I’m sure there were more versions. I just wanted to see what this would add to the feel of it( also space invaders looks cool with the speaker next to it). I know what you mean by having it lower, but need to see how that makes the whole look like, we could play with the placement for sure. I did fudge the taito logo on it up a bit so you could see that, I might also want to look at the scale of it, as it feels a bit small compared to the ref. I know Arsinvictus is also going to play with it, so we should come to something cool together.

my two tests:

1 Like

Winner is on the left. The ratio is better. Size and placement.

just a quick test with that coin door

1 Like

Hey @Briball and @Dreamstate, you guys got me down a rabbit hole with that coin door. Here is my take on it, I just drew an abstract version of the door by hand in photoshop:

And how it might look on a cab:

2 Likes

And here is a lighter version:

3 Likes

Excellent, those pesky rabbit holes always get you. For me I would go a bit deeper and make them a bit more realistic looking, some slight texture/reflection difference and in the metal ref I noticed they used different metals (frame lighter and coin return looks brassy). Anyway, great start on these. They will really finish of the cab look to look like originally manufactured.

1 Like

a different coin door for Bally midway games.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never really been targeting realism with these. My style is more the rendered look. I think this could definitely still be improved a bit more with better shading and texture though, so I might experiment with that some more. I’d also be interested in a 3D modeled version like @Dreamstate mentioned, but I’m not familiar with that process at all and don’t even know what app to use for that.

I’m happy to share the PSD if you want to mess around with what I did on this. It was all just hand drawn with effects for embossing, shadows etc.