4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Yes, please join the subreddit and share your work and finds. We’d love to hear from you! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I just passed by to say Hi to all of you. I’ve been “disconnected” due to a change at work, but I still keep following this thread and all beatiful Overlays you make.

3 Likes

Thanks @K-rnivoro! Congrats on the work opportunity! I am more busy with that lately too. Your help is always welcome if you free some time back up in the future :smiley:

2 Likes

More progress on a FixEight overlay. Here’s a custom marquee based on the flyer artwork I shared a while back:

Full Resolution FixEight Marquee

6 Likes

Fixeight 4K Vertical Overlay

Mega Bezel Pack Link

8 Likes

Hello, please ask me a question. I intend to buy a Samsung QN90, its HDR is really good, is the LG C3 much better? I intend to use it with the CyberLab shader because on my television the image was very dark because of its quality. CyberLab Death To Pixels Shader Preset Packs - RetroArch Additions / Shaders - Libretro Forums

2 Likes

The overall brightness of the HDR on the Samsung is much brighter than on the C3. But the HDR on the OLED can actually appear brighter in many circumstances (especially on the dark backgrounds that many arcade games have), because the contrast is greater, and for things like laser beams and shots in arcade games that can give it a more CRT-like appearance

The C3 will have smoother, closer to CRT quality motion. On the other hand, the C3 has the potential for image burn-in, which might be an issue if you leave a static image such as an overlay on for many hours.

The C3 is bright enough to me for the CyberLab shader, as long as you don’t enable black frame insertion, which would dim it quite a bit I think. I think @Cyber himself may be using it with an OLED and could give you more comprehensive advice.

There are pro’s and con’s to both TV’s but you can’t go wrong with either. Sorry if this was not totally helpful.

3 Likes

Interesting that Sega’s Golden Axe used voice samples from “First Blood” and “Conan The Barbarian” for the screams.

https://youtu.be/pZ6C69ZvW-w?si=z-rPvuV_RpmkQscZ

4 Likes

Just gonna throw this out here. I use an LG 55” C1 on a rotating stand for my main vertical arcade use. Looking at putting it in a cabinet soon. Reason I went with a C1 was for the black frame insertion (BFI) @120hz option. I’m one of those crazy people that tries to make my flat panel as close to a CRT experience as possible.

Apparently BFI @120hz has not become available again since the C1. Not sure why, but as an alternative for those seeking excellent motion clarity. I would recommend the Retrotink 4K as an external solution. It can produce BFI up to 4K @120hz and 1080p @240hz dependent on the refresh rate range of your TV/monitor of course. It also works on any panel.

Lastly, I recently purchased an LG 32GS95UE. It’s a dual mode monitor that can run 4K @240hz or 1080p @480hz. If anyone has any questions or would like me to test anything out on it. I can send you some feedback. Its only 32” but it has the potential to be a replacement for similar sized CRTs (hopefully)

1 Like

thanks. Does Samsung also have a similar image to a crt? In my country it is cheaper than LG.

1 Like

I have an LG 95UE OLED too and I love it! Fantastic monitor and I’m surprised how much I like the not-matte, not-glossy finish, it just looks like pure smooth black to me with no reflections but still has vibrant colors.

1 Like

It is not as CRT-like as OLED but still looks very nice. I use the Samsung for my vertical overlay setup and I have it on the rotating wall mount, so I can hit a button on the remote and it turns. I don’t think Samsung makes the mount anymore but you may be able to find it if you hunt around.

But in terms of a CRT-like presentation, OLED is the winner.

1 Like

Awesome! Nice to hear there is another here who adopted the tech. I just got it 2 days ago, so havent had much time to experiment. I am working on getting Retroarch BFI tuned. Looks like am behind on some key updates.

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12965

But yeah, have you tried the 480hz 1080p mode for retro games? Any comments, tips or experiences worth sharing?

1 Like

No, I haven’t tried BFI on it or the 1080p mode. I really like the higher quality subpixel rendering you can get out of 4K and it looks very smooth to my eyes. But if you find it to be a good option let me know!

I’ll have to update RetroArch and try these new BFI settings too.

1 Like

Hi. I think this has been replied before but, what are the cheapest Nvidia and AMD boards able to handle HSM Mega Bezel in 4K HDR? Maybe not in the highest presets, but still some decent CRT Emulation.

I´m trying to build a PC exclusively for that, but I don´t want to buy the wrong Graphics card.

Thanks.

PS: If there is any other discussion thread about that, just let me know and I erase this post.

1 Like

Hi @K-rnivoro! You might want to try the Mega Bezel thread?

1 Like

Anyone else see Doc Mack yesterday on MeTV’s Collector’s Call?

2 Likes

I didn’t, can you share a link?

1 Like
2 Likes

Here you go:

https://mega.nz/file/69cVEI5T#WiuN8cNkWHhhKL7juThbonZRguv4g0iynTn0kS0Av0w

3 Likes