4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

I have to say @HyperspaceMadness… I’d never played The Last Duel until now, but it is one very cool game. I love that there is both a driving and flying mode and the ability to jump or phase out to avoid obstacles etc. Amazing, colorful graphics too. Very unique, thanks for the recommendation!

3 Likes

Dynamite Duke 4K Vertical Overlay

I don’t believe there was an official bezel offered for this game. I found a generic bezel with red borders that was being sold online as a “Dynamite Duke” bezel that had been used in an actual arcade and I based this off of that. That bezel had an instruction card attached, which I’ve recreated here. I did see the same instruction card on multiple arcade reference photos so I’m guessing the card was most likely packaged with the PCB by Fabtek. Coin door here is from the Williams Defender coin door by @papashine. I purchased the marquee off eBay and I’ve contributed the 600dpi scan to @MrDo’s site as well.

5 Likes

Sengoku 3 4K Vertical Overlay

The marquee here was another eBay purchase, I’ve scanned and provided it to @MrDo’s site as well. Mr. RetroLust has also incorporated it into his Neo Geo full dedicated marquee project and he did the lighting effects on the marquee for this overlay.

5 Likes

Rastan 4K Vertical Overlay

Best soundtrack ever! Love the music in this game. For this game I cleaned up the larger, translucent marquee with the full vertical height of the artwork. I shared that out on the MameWorld forums too. As usual, using a lot of little @PapaShine graphic elements here.

Here is a shot of the original cabinet:

6 Likes

ok, Rastan is definitely one of the best examples of this kind of game there is - everything about it was amazing to me at the time, and agree the soundtrack is awesome - played this a load on my spectrum too but never got far in the arcade so going to enjoy this one allot - thanks @ArsInvictus!

3 Likes

This is Awesome, thanks @ArsInvictus!

Lots of good memories playing this one at the arcade, although since you couldn’t just keep feeding in quarters to progress, I think I only saw the first level :wink:

For anyone who remembers the music fondly here’s a good remix!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this @HyperspaceMadness! The remix is cool, just shows this music is timeless. It’s funny my 15 year old daughter heard the music for this game and starting jamming along to it too, soo good :smiley:

3 Likes

same here - I’d literally never seen the second level of the game until I realized I could fix that in mame - if you jump into the dip switches, you can allow continues!.. which means the arcade owners were to blame for that, not the developers! feels less brutal now :slight_smile:

nice remix - thanks for posting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow — Rastan cab looks amazing. Especially love the pedestal art to side of coin door. What a treasure. Thanks!

2 Likes

Solar Warrior (a.k.a. Xain’d Sleena) 4K Vertical Overlay

This was another request by @HyperspaceMadness. I wasn’t familiar game but apparently it had very nice Amiga and Atari ST ports back in the day. It was originally called Xain’d Sleena and developed by Technos/Taito in Japan but was licensed by Memetron and release under the Solar Warrior title in the states.

I was fortunate to be able to find a new old-stock bezel that looked like it had been in storage for the last 35 years on eBay and restored both it and the marquee I found on arcadeartwork.com. It looked like it had been sourced from @MrDo’s site but I couldn’t find it there.

It looks like the original dedicated cabinet had this red and white striped front panel art but I wasn’t able to make out the other cabinet ornamentation because of the low resolution of the only ref pic I could find.

Hope you enjoy.

Here’s a shot of the original cab:

solar warrior cab ref1

8 Likes

Oh man, that’s a beauty. Thanks so much, Ars.

2 Likes

Wow, that came out great! Thanks!

It’s funny, I had never even heard of Memetron, maybe that why it wasn’t very common.

I think the one I played as a kid was Xain’d Sleena and installed in a cocktail machine!

Edit: Although Memetron sounds like it should be a meme generator

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d never heard of Memetron either, seems like they were just a short lived distributor. Glad you told me about it and I was able to locate the original artwork. That was a great stroke of luck and it’s so cool I was able to preserve this art and make it available for anyone to enjoy when they play the game. :smiley:

4 Likes

Updated Metal Slug 3 Overlay

I updated this overlay using a new scan from an original marquee as well as updates to the other graphic elements with new components and reworked lighting, shading and other effects.

EDIT: Correct a few issues with color etc.

7 Likes

Looking awesome, I think the new lighting is looking great! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @HyperspaceMadness! I know the darker bezel might seem too dim to people when they look at it on a smaller screen, but when you are right in front of a 40+ inch TV I think it’s much easier on the eyes and still plenty bright. Really makes the screen image and marquee pop :star_struck:

4 Likes

I think you are right, when I loaded up the Robocop one on the 40+ inch in front of me the bezel area felt quite bright. And you are right it really pulls the screen and marquee forward :smiley:

4 Likes

I agree @Dreamstate, it does feel more natural and it’s just a more visually engaging experience overall. Yes, goes without saying these days, most of the components in that overlay were @papashine renders, though I’ve tweaked the levels a bit on them to darken them and fit them into the overall presentation. The speakers were lifted from one of @Thoggo’s overlays and he did those in Photoshop. I’d like a 3D version as well to keep the look more consistent. It was a pretty popular speaker plate.

I do need to fix a couple things on that overlay, will update that pic when I do. Hazards of doing this stuff late at night…

2 Likes

hey, just caught up with these Overlays @ArsInvictus, they look great! love some metal slug 3, definitely going to make a lot of use out of that one!

I’m working on a test 3D CPO for my current collab with you, with a mind to a) have a 3D template I can use quickly and b) supply the basic elements as a PSD kit for anyone to build their own, along with a bunch of other bits we’ve been talking about - just wondering if the CPO components (sticks, Buttons, etc) is something people might want at two angles or maybe a third as well? (top-down?)

8 Likes

Beautiful work as always @papashine! I almost feel like I could reach out and touch that thing, sheesh. Would definitely love a set of buttons like that in all 3 angles, top down as you mentioned. If you can provide the joystick ball and buttons in a variety of colors it would be good. I can usually change the color myself, but in some cases it doesn’t come out looking as good as the native render (i.e. white/black).

5 Likes