4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Yeah forgot to mention that. Double Dragon was a mono game. I’m trying to be more accurate in these things.

4 Likes

Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja

I’d forgotten about this game over the years. But once I saw the gameplay I did remember playing it in the arcades back in the day.

The marquee here is grey, but every photo I could find of it demonstrated an orange tint, even photos from when the game was new. So I mimicked that effect here. Here is a flyer from the original release as an example:

7 Likes

You are right, I did push it blue in addition to desaturation, as that matched the original too. Mine is pretty close at this point and am happy with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Xevious

It would be cool to do a version of this with the backplate art, but I haven’t found a decent scan of that, so followed my usual format here.

7 Likes

Ohhh, love this one, xevious has to be one of my all time classic games, and looks great. Can’t wait to play it now.

3 Likes

Is this one (Black Label version of DeathSmiles) available for download, Ars? Can’t locate it in your Dropbox. Thanks!

Great schmup. Had never heard of Truxton. Thanks for the introduction, and of course the beautiful cab. Super soundtrack, too.

1 Like

Yeah it is out there. It has a weird abbreviation… dsmbl. Here is a direct link to the png:

Yeah Truxton is one of my overall favorite shmups ever. A true classic and it’s a shame is mostly forgotten for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, Ars! Looking forward to playing this one tonight. :smile:

1 Like

Xevious backplate work over at BYOAC

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=161338.0

2 Likes

Wow that is impressive work! Thanks for sending my way @MrDo. I’ll flip back to experiment with that once I get these Colony 7 and Shadow Force overlays done.

Colony 7 4K Vertical Overlay

Thanks to Raspbear again on the mameworld forums for his work on the bezel. It is still a work in progress for him, so I took what he had and just cleaned it up enough to look decent on the overlay. When he completes the restore I will update the overlay.

For the marquee I found one on ebay, bought, photographed it and cleaned it up for this overlay. You can find the marquees on my dropbox.

Here is the overlay:

And here is a link to the marquee:

7 Likes

Love the pedestal artwork flanking coin door. Extra awesome. Thanks! Also, I so appreciate that you’re willing to purchase arcade art in the interest of preservation.

2 Likes

Thanks @benlogan, yeah, I like making the artwork for these more rare and obscure games available to everyone. And I get quite a few hours of entertainment out of the work to restore these, so I feel it’s a good use of my money :slight_smile:

For anyone interested here are some shots of the original cabinet for reference:

5 Likes

There we go. That’s the post I saw. Thanks Mr!

Great work as always, something I want to do sometime is find a good ref for the coindoor, as some of these old cabs have the metal types, just a variation and keep it looking as close to ref as possible. And if I get time to add a cpo version (becoming my thing in most of my overlays)

@ArsInvictus with all those marquee purchases, you must have a bit of a museum vibe in your house, bit envious here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Ha! That coin door totally caught my eye, too. Quite a looker.

1 Like

Yeah that is a hot coin door there. I did think about trying to recreate it, but decided to just use the usual for now and maybe come back to it. I’ve been thinking to get some good photos at an actual arcade of some different coin doors to use for these things too.

@Briball, I’ve really only bought a handful of marquees and bezels at this point, but I’m up for purchasing 2 or so a month to supply this hobby. Let me know if any pop up you are interested in. I really like it when I can do it to complete a set where we already have the bezel or marquee but not the other. Like in this case of Colony 7. I also got a Shadow Force marquee yesterday that I’ll work on soon. @MrDo has the bezel scan so that will be a set too.

5 Likes

Shadow Force Transformation Ninja bezel restoration

I spent much of my free time this weekend working on this bezel restoration. Many thanks to @MrDo for providing the scan.

There are some imperfections here, and I might go back later and correct them, but most of them are not visible unless looking very closely at very high resolution.

This one was a challenge, the original scanned copy was in pretty bad shape and had a lot of color gradients, making it impossible to use the methods I usually would for this kind of work. I ended up recreating the bezel background and pattern by hand, tracing much of it pixel by pixel using the pen tool. I’ve color matched it fairly well, but that was also difficult due to the damage to the original source.

Anyway, here is the resulting bezel. I also have a marquee I got from ebay and have restored it somewhat and will put together the overlay shortly.

Source scan:

Full resolution file is on the dropbox here (warning, 60MB file):

Shadow Force Bezel

1 Like

Attaching King of Fighters 2000 marquee to be cleaned and restored in high quality.

Jonny