4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Hey @benlogan, glad you like it, the name of this book is Cave Shooting Artworks, you can actually see all the artwork via this youtube video someone put together: https://youtu.be/PXIPv96hYAM

It’s a great compilation of art from a ton of their games. I was able to use this as the source for a number of custom Cave overlays, and in fact I still have some more left to go, which I should probably revisit again soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Red Earth 4K Vertical Overlay

This game never got wide distribution outside Japan and was both the first game on the CPS III and the only game from that platform to never get a home release. So, if you want to play this game, emulation seems to be the only option. Happily, we have good quality scans of the instruction cards, but only a low resolution marquee, unless there is a scan lurking around that I don’t have access to. I did a little cleanup on the Capcom and logo text for the marquee and think it’s fairly presentable for the overlay. The marquee and instruction cards were all sourced from the Launchbox game database. I was also able to get some more mileage out of the SF Capcom control panel @PapaShine rendered here.

MAME - Red Earth

RetroArch - Red Earth

10 Likes

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

These next two overlays need no introduction. Thanks again to @PapaShine for the quick turnaround on the control panel render that enabled us to get these both out today.

MAME - Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

RetroArch - Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

6 Likes

Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting

MAME - Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting

RetroArch - Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting

7 Likes

Primal Rage

Another entry in the fighting game genre today, Primal Rage! No control panel render for this one yet, but we hope to provide one in the future.

MAME - Primal Rage

RetroArch - Primal Rage

5 Likes

Updated Dragon Breed

Some small changes, updated the bezel and marquee lighting effect. Main purpose was to provide packaging for MAME and Retroarch:

MAME - Dragon Breed

RetroArch - Dragon Breed

6 Likes

Killer Instinct

The marquee here was sourced from @MrDo, which I cleaned and restored. The instruction strip was created by Malenko on the arcadecontrols.com forum.

MAME - Killer Instinct

RetroArch - Killer Instinct

6 Likes

Blood Brothers 4K Vertical Overlay

This was a new game for me but I loved the art on this one so wanted to get an overlay out for it. It’s from the same developers as Cabal and is a spiritual successor to that game. I imagine it might be more well known today had a SNES version gone to market, but the game designer on that version had a stroke during it’s development and the project was sadly cancelled.

MAME - Blood Brothers

RetroArch - Blood Brothers

4 Likes

Guerrilla War 4K Vertical Overlay

I never played this back when it was released in 1987, but it’s a follow up to Ikari Warriors that used the same rotary joystick controls. Follow Che Guevera and Fidel Castro (as they are called in the Japanese version) as they fight to free a caribbean island from a tyrannical dictator :smiley:

There is a bootleg version of this (gwarb.zip), which lets you control using Commando style controls. I tried it out and it worked really well.

MAME - Guerrilla War

RetroArch - Guerrilla War

5 Likes

Ikari Warriors 4K Vertical Overlay

Going back to the genesis of this breed of games in the SNK line-up, Ikari Warriors. There is a bootleg joystick hack variation of this one (ikarjpb.zip) and it also works well. I played this game quite a bit on the Amiga (and the arcade at the time) so there’s a lot of nostalgia here for me.

MAME - Ikari Warriors

RetroArch - Ikari Warriors

6 Likes

Looks good! I played this a lot on the Nintendo, but it was way more fun in the arcade with the rotary joystick.

Thanks for mentioning this, I just did some googling and there’s similar hack for Midnight Resistance (midresbj).

I was very sad the last time I tried to play Midnight Resistance with a regular joystick without the bootleg hack.

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like quite a few of the rotary games have joystick hacks available, it’s still not as nice as a real rotary stick, but at least it plays similar to the console versions.

2 Likes

Victory Road (a.k.a. Ikari Warriors II) 4K Vertical Overlay

Sadly there is no joystick hack that I was able to find for this game, though you can still bind the left and right turns to a couple buttons as a fairly clumsy workaround.

MAME - Victory Road

RetroArch - Victory Road

5 Likes

Ikari 3: The Rescue

This completes the Ikari series. Sadly, no joystick mod is available for this one either.

MAME - Ikari 3

RetroArch - Ikari 3

7 Likes

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

MAME - Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

RetroArch - Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

6 Likes

Kageki 4K Vertical Overlay

MAME - Kageki

RetroArch - Kageki

4 Likes

nice work,where can i download these bezels?

1 Like

Hi @Halloallemaal,

Glad you like them.

The MAME versions can all be found here: MAME Files

The RetroArch files are here: RetroArch Files

Note that these are all the most recent vertical overlays (I’m not doing horizontal overlays anymore), we’ll be packaging the other overlays up over the coming weeks. We are also working on a new web site which will provide a visual catalog of all the overlays that will be easier to navigate and will have the download links too. Hopefully not too much longer before that is opened up.

4 Likes

Mortal Kombat 4K Vertical Overlay

MAME - Mortal Kombat

RetroArch - Mortal Kombat

6 Likes

Mortal Kombat 2 4K Vertical Overlay

MAME - Mortal Kombat 2

RetroArch - Mortal Kombat 2

6 Likes