4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Sky Soldiers 4K Vertical Overlay

MAME - Sky Soldiers

RetroArch - Sky Soldiers

5 Likes

Wow! Sky Soldiers looks great. Wonderfully convincing lighting here. Thanks, guys!

Also, bookmarked Thoggo’s vertical arcade site. What a winner!

2 Likes

Hyperdyne: Sidearms 4K Vertical Overlay

Another refresh and repackage:

MAME - Sidearms

RetroArch - Sidearms

5 Likes

Awesome :smiley:, Side Arms is one of my favorites! I remember playing this one as a teenager, even though I wasn’t terribly good at it.

4 Likes

I think SideArms is just very hard lol. I’m not surprised if you weren’t good at it! :smiley: @papashine will be working on the CP render for this overlay, so it will have a nice upgrade soon!

3 Likes

Gemini Wing 4K Vertical Overlay

This one didn’t work in standalone MAME for me for some reason (maybe a version difference in the rom?), but I’ve got the MAME lay format zip’s out there nonetheless.

MAME - Gemini Wing

RetroArch - Gemini Wing

7 Likes

Bubbles 4K Vertical Overlay

Just a repackaging for this one:

MAME - Bubbles

RetroArch - Bubbles

6 Likes

Congo Bongo

MAME version

RetroArch version

One of the next plans for Vertical Arcade is focusing on classic arcade games that we haven’t yet done, especially 80s games that defined that era. This is one of those (at least in my mind), a Donkey Kong-inspired platfomer that added the novelty of isometric 3D to the mix (not to mention a lot of aggressive animals). The death music is one of those memorable bits that brings back memories for me!

Both versions have two screen sizes, the standard size shown here and a larger size for those that prefer it (you’ll need to choose the right Zip file for the version you want in RetroArch).

7 Likes

Willow

MAME version

RetroArch version

In celebration of the announcement of a Willow TV series on Disney+, I give you the 1989 Willow movie tie-in arcade game from Capcom. Not exactly Capcom’s most well-known run-and-gun platformer, but if you’ve never tried it, it’s worth spending some time with Willow and his best bud, Madmartigan. Willow the game combines elements of a lot of different Capcom games, with gameplay a lot like the Ghosts 'n Goblins series but with a greater health bar, weapon power-ups, decent boss fights and the ability to buy items from vendors along the way.

8 Likes

No PNG file in the RetroArch version only config file.

1 Like

Oops, sorry about that DonkyKong, was working too fast. :grin: Should be fixed now.

2 Likes

No Problem, Thanks for all your work :+1: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

I would like to Thank ALL the contributors here for their time and talent… The Artwork is fabulous. Like others here I also leave a tab open on this Thread eagerly awaiting any new overlays updates :grin: :grin: :grin: :beer: :beer:

6 Likes

Thoggo can I add a suggestion to your website. when Browse “ALL” Vertical overlays have a sort option for “newest/latest added” so can easily see the latest additions to the site. Thanks DK

3 Likes

We’ve been talking about that among us as well @DonkyKong and @Thoggo will be adding features that assist with finding new content more easily to the web site over the coming days. Thanks for the suggestion!

4 Likes

Commando 4K Vertical Overlay

Updated style and packaging.

MAME - Commando

RetroArch - Commando

6 Likes

Vasara 2 4K Vertical Overlay

This is obviously one of my custom designs as there was no release for this game outside Japan. Updated look and packaging as usual:

MAME - Vasara 2

RetroArch - Vasara 2

5 Likes

Defender

Just a repackaging for this one:

MAME - Defender

RetroArch - Defender

7 Likes

Raiden 4K Vertical Overlay

Thought it was time for a new game overlay. This series is one that’s been on my list to do for a while and I know it’s also a favorite of @thoggo’s. There was no dedicated cab for the games in this series so I took some liberties with the cabinet color scheme.

MAME - Raiden

RetroArch - Raiden

7 Likes

Hell Yes!!! Raiden one of My most played games… Thank You @ArsInvictus :beer: :beer: :grin:

4 Likes