AMD Ryzen for Mednafen Saturn?

I am looking forward to build a budget PC for my next multi-system arcade cabinet and Saturn emulation is a must.

On my main PC (i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX760) the Mednafen core runs Saturn images without any issues whatsoever.

My cabinet build will have to be on a tight budget and a friend has access to AMD Ryzen processors at good prices.

I would like to know what to expect with the current Ryzen series of processors because I understand that mid-low level Saturn emulation is highly demanding even for modern systems.

I use an 8350 @ 4GHz and it runs it just fine if that’s of any use to you for a reference.

That’s interesting. I wonder if the Saturn core relies on multi-core processing or it’s all about single core performance. 8350 seems to have quite fast single cores but it’s outdated (in terms of release date).

A cheap Ryzen (1200) runs only at 3.1GHz but I’m not sure how it compares to your 4GHz FX.

Ryzen is about 52-60 percent faster per clock (IPC) than the 8350’s, so even the slower clock 1200 will destroy the old bulldozer architecture. You’ll be good to go.

1 Like

Depends if you want to use hard sync and frame delay though.