Amiga Core (PUAE) Vsync Weirdness

Just playing around with PUAE v2.6.1 in RetroArch and something odd is happening. When running the Android version at 60 Hz (ntsc=true) on my Nexus 5, the scrolling is perfectly smooth. Using exactly the same options on Linux (same version of RetroArch, v.1.3.4 which works perfectly with other cores) the scrolling is all over the place. There is even some tearing at the top of the screen at times.

It’s clearly a core issue since the FBA SVN core and others run perfectly on the same Linux box. As I understood things, RetroArch itself handles the refresh rate and if one core vsyncs perfectly at 60 Hz, shouldn’t they all? I’m thinking then, PUAE is somehow not in sync with RetroArch but the Android build of the same core is?

I was wondering if anyone else can verify this before I submit it as an issue on github?

EDIT: I just tried the core on a different Linux box (Openbox based) and the vsync was much better, comparable to Android. Interestingly, the following is logged to the console:

NTSC mode V=59.8859Hz H=15734.2637Hz (227x262+1) IDX=11 (NTSC) D=0 RTG=0/0

RetroArch’s refresh rate is set to 59.950 Hz, so it looks like the core make up its own mind. I wonder if this is configurable or perhaps the video output is not completely “hooked up” to libretro?

How do I use an Amiga core whilst running retroarch/Lakka on a Raspberry Pi 2?

You have to create a configuration file for the disk(s) you want to load, then save it with a .uae extension, for example this is my config. for Robocod:

kickstart_rom_file=/home/modeler/Amiga/ROMs/Kickstart v1.3 rev 34.5 (1987)(Commodore)(A500-A1000-A2000-CDTV)[!].rom
chipmem_size=1
bogomem_size=2
use_gui=no
nr_floppies=1
cpu_type=68000
cpu_speed=real
cpu_compatible=true
ntsc=true
chipset=ocs
immediate_blits=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_framerate=1
sound_output=normal
sound_frequency=44100
sound_channels=mixed
sound_interpol=none
show_leds=true
floppy_speed=800
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_color_mode=16
floppy0=/home/modeler/Amiga/Games/James Pond 2 - Codename Robocod (1991)(Millennium)[cr SKR].adf

Then you can load the .uae file into RetroArch. Once loaded up you use the Select button to switch between mouse and joystick. That’s it!

There is a GUI but the mouse is all messed up in the current build. It might look like a lot of effort, but Amiga games need a fair bit of tweaking before they’re run well on any version of UAE. Once up and running the core works brilliantly, but I’d love to see these few bugs ironed out.

I’m using Lakka for the raspberry pi. Does this already have an amiga core included? If I use that script will it launch the game assuming I have the correct adf. Kickstarts. Etc?

I’m not sure about Lakka, I’ve never used it. The core should be available via the Online Updater, assuming it exists under Lakka. You should be able to load a .uae file as if it were a ROM image, assuming the paths specified therein are correct.

Can I use an online updater via retropie to download this version of Amiga core PUAE? Then this will launch .uae configuration files assuming all your adf and kickstarts are located in the right paths according ti the uae.cfg file?

PUAE is available on Lakka for PC platform not yet for RPi.

Cool thanks can anyone do a YouTubevideo on how its done. I don’t see a lakka video on YouTube about it.

[QUOTE=Modeler;39730]You have to create a configuration file for the disk(s) you want to load, then save it with a .uae extension, for example this is my config. for Robocod:

kickstart_rom_file=/home/modeler/Amiga/ROMs/Kickstart v1.3 rev 34.5 (1987)(Commodore)(A500-A1000-A2000-CDTV)[!].rom
chipmem_size=1
bogomem_size=2
use_gui=no
nr_floppies=1
cpu_type=68000
cpu_speed=real
cpu_compatible=true
ntsc=true
chipset=ocs
immediate_blits=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_framerate=1
sound_output=normal
sound_frequency=44100
sound_channels=mixed
sound_interpol=none
show_leds=true
floppy_speed=800
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_color_mode=16
floppy0=/home/modeler/Amiga/Games/James Pond 2 - Codename Robocod (1991)(Millennium)[cr SKR].adf

Then you can load the .uae file into RetroArch. Once loaded up you use the Select button to switch between mouse and joystick. That’s it!

There is a GUI but the mouse is all messed up in the current build. It might look like a lot of effort, but Amiga games need a fair bit of tweaking before they’re run well on any version of UAE. Once up and running the core works brilliantly, but I’d love to see these few bugs ironed out.[/QUOTE]

You helped me immensely, thank you :slight_smile:

Anyone know any other commands (and what they do) that can go into the config files for each game ?

Looks like this will never see the day of light on YouTube. Would be nice if someone would showcase it on YouTube. It will get more people interested.

I have a guide for setting it up here: http://lindqvist.synology.me/wordpress/?page_id=182

It’s written for Android, but most of it also applies to other platforms.

Hi gouchi, do you have some news about PUAE on RPi?