Had a bit of a play with P-UAE in RetroArch and generally for emulating games it works quite well after it is setup on a game by game basis.
A couple of points:
-The current version of P-UAE that is used by the team working on UAE is 2.61 compiled from GnoStiC source (no longer on github) with an indication they are going to swap to the WinUAE version. See https://github.com/libretro/libretro-uae for details.
- This version is heavily restricted in comparison to other UAE variant and the configuration options should be taken from the configuration.txt file noting some options like Z3 memory and Graphics card just don’t seem to work.
-Some older games could not be loaded using WHDownload due to compatibility / memory issues with the emulated machine however using adf images solved the problem. The example here is Bards Tale noting it may have been ignorance that was the main issue.
- Have got Classic WB 28 version working noting that the configuration will not support Picasso96, filesystem2 mapping (Created a HDF for Software), required a cfg file to remove all the Retroarch hotkey binds and the P-UAE emulator messes up some keybindings mainly q w a z (verified hdf against WinUAE).
-Could not get the current android core to run on the nvidia shield however the same configuration file on Windows worked without an issues.
-Emulator Menu did not show the CPU emulation correctly however the CPU type was verified within WB using Scout
As far as setup you need the following files for a WHDownload Game in addition to the WHDownload hdf file with the Kickstart images:
.hdf (.slave file renamed to game.slave) in roms/Commodore - Amiga/hdf
.uae in roms/Commodore - Amiga/config with the configuration for the emulator.
In addition the following files may or may not be required:
.opt in config/PUAE - Contains PUAE RetroArch options (This file is created when saving the options from the RetroArch in game Options menu).
.cfg in config/PUAE - Contains RetroArch options eg. hotkey binds
I used the cfg file to remove all the hotkey binds when running WB however I did notice options like viewport are ignored in preference of the configuration within the .uae file.
Anyway it was good fun trying to see what did work and definitely a challenge getting Classic WB running under P-UAE and would recommend using WinUAE etc for WB however for emulating games within a Single Interface across multiple games systems there is definitely enough within the current P-UAE core to support a nice Amiga playlist of the top 100 Amiga Games.