Android Nightly discussion thread

[QUOTE=retroben;33611]Waste ro make a new thread,how do I get transparency to work on xmb mode with a menu wallpaper? I can’t find the specific image I used that worked once before,so I need one that makes the game visible when in the menu because I hate not being able to see it when for example changing shader options. I had one with a cool Retroarch UI bar look with a blue bar on the top plus the menu fit right into place visually and the rest of it could be seen through.[/QUOTE] I used Paint.NET to make a simple semitransparent black background: http://i.imgur.com/sqTLgZQ.png

Thanks hunterk. :slight_smile:

Of course it is not appreciated,and I know that a lot of devotion and work went into not only making everything,but every port of each core to several platforms. I respect it very much,it just doesn’t show much at all when ranting. I can’t do anything in my position,no computer of my own,stuck with Android stuff plus non rooted Shield TV and no access certain stand alone emulators with rewind like the SNES9x mod with rewind support which is Windows only,all stand alone SNES emulators on Android don’t have rewind support,meaning RetroArch is the only choice. I was lucky to even get the Shield TV,I hate myself every time I get a new device because I really would rather have a powerful laptop that can run Dolphin at high resolultion at full speed,but I can’t get one because of personal reasons.

After doing the exploit and so much hassle,I have it working fine. (no one should have to learn an exploit just to get it to be functional) Now I have that crazy Yoshi’s Island (Yoshi’s highland) hack running beautifully with 5xBR HLSL at 5x scale. Rewind is crucial for that hack to beat levels,even to simply get a defeated boss object to spawn if the level gets too broken to complete.

You are looking at a loser who’s life really sucks on a daily basis. Though I did come up with a lot of cool Gameshark codes for N64,many making games extra fun to revisit using those cheats… Still really cool N64 can use rewind,but really stinks that cheats are officially unsupported,which explains why I had a really frustrating time trying to get them working. Would love to see it actually have cheat support eventually,and I am surprized it still hasn’t been updated with upstream changes that make DK64 work correctly,Banjo-Tooie not crash,and many other changes including a recent Conker performance fix already available on AE. Such a letdown it is so outdated after all this time.

Wouldbe edit: Internet crapped out before I could post,damn you wifi!

Also thanks Awakened for that,I saw another thread with one after doing a Google image search,but I haven’t tested it yet.

[QUOTE=retroben;33626]Thanks hunterk. :slight_smile:

Of course it is not appreciated,and I know that a lot of devotion and work went into not only making everything,but every port of each core to several platforms. I respect it very much,it just doesn’t show much at all when ranting. I can’t do anything in my position,no computer of my own,stuck with Android stuff plus non rooted Shield TV and no access certain stand alone emulators with rewind like the SNES9x mod with rewind support which is Windows only,all stand alone SNES emulators on Android don’t have rewind support,meaning RetroArch is the only choice. I was lucky to even get the Shield TV,I hate myself every time I get a new device because I really would rather have a powerful laptop that can run Dolphin at high resolultion at full speed,but I can’t get one because of personal reasons.

After doing the exploit and so much hassle,I have it working fine. (no one should have to learn an exploit just to get it to be functional) Now I have that crazy Yoshi’s Island (Yoshi’s highland) hack running beautifully with 5xBR HLSL at 5x scale. Rewind is crucial for that hack to beat levels,even to simply get a defeated boss object to spawn if the level gets too broken to complete.

You are looking at a loser who’s life really sucks on a daily basis. Though I did come up with a lot of cool Gameshark codes for N64,many making games extra fun to revisit using those cheats… Still really cool N64 can use rewind,but really stinks that cheats are officially unsupported,which explains why I had a really frustrating time trying to get them working. Would love to see it actually have cheat support eventually,and I am surprized it still hasn’t been updated with upstream changes that make DK64 work correctly,Banjo-Tooie not crash,and many other changes including a recent Conker performance fix already available on AE. Such a letdown it is so outdated after all this time.

Wouldbe edit: Internet crapped out before I could post,damn you wifi!

Also thanks Awakened for that,I saw another thread with one after doing a Google image search,but I haven’t tested it yet.[/QUOTE]

I’ll be spending more time on Mupen64 again after version 1.3.1 is out. I’ll merge the changes to new_dynarec then.

What’s your secret to the Mupen64Plus core’s really fast performance on at least Shield TV? I feel like it hits 100fps with fast forward on Super Smash Bros. when on the “No Contest” screen viewing four DK models. And yet the character select menu lags from the static effect of the “hidden” characters not being unlocked.

Mupen64Plus AE runs it much slower in comparison,one reason could be from certain updates adding accuracy and fixes causing even more slowness,or an obscure bug yet to be found.

mupen64plus-libretro and mupen64plus AE are pretty different from one another at this point, so it’d be hard to say which difference was causing any single disparity in either direction.

More specifically,what makes RetroArch’s core so blisteringly fast on the Shield TV,disregarding AE’s slowness? (even almost just as fast with rewind enabled,but at a granularity of 2 and the same fastness without threaded video)

There must be some major optimization for more powerful devices to push/be pushed extra hard to squeeze out lots more performance. Does it perhaps detect and use the Shield TV’s desktop GL in some method and/or is the entire UI tweaked for maximum performance of the running core?

Sorry to bug you with so many questions,I just want to help out the devs for Mupen64Plus AE so they can find out what to change for better performance.

I don’t know any of the details but it’s definitely not anything intentionally shield-specific. That is, nothing is hardcoded like ‘if SHIELD == 1, #define RUN_FASTER’

Mainly the strength of any given device,not specialized for a specific one,just if it meets certain requirements for whatever boosts the performance compared to less powerful devices running it really sluggishly. I am not even overclocked or rooted on the Shield TV and it still runs so fast,their clock settings are low thanks to enrgy star.

Please inform us when GLideN64 is available for the Mupen64Plus core,I will gladly test ASAP to see how it runs and report back the results.

I also hope for you to eventually apply this commit below if not done already and to bring in cheat support so I can test my various 60fps and “lag fix” codes.

Would I simply add a plus “+” to indicate codes with multiple lines so moonjump codes and others can work with activators,or will it need enter support for going to the next line in a single pass?

[video]https://youtu.be/dmer8grgrfI[/video]

[QUOTE=Radius;20370]Android nightlies are now available. The nightlies have no cores included but you should be able to fetch the cores from the core updater in RGUI

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/android

Changelog:

• Reset OP

Known Issues:

• Reset OP[/QUOTE]

Android 6 (RetroArch Touch Not Working) ! [video]https://youtu.be/dmer8grgrfI[/video]

Touch not working on Shield TV official OTA 3.0 Marshmallow on retropad elements via Logitech K400r mousepad on both the build I already had and the latest nightly as of February the 19th.

One oddity though,after trying the latest nightly,I managed to touch once to hide the retropad buttons. I mainly use it to prevent getting stuck in menus or if something else goes wrong.

Just tested latest nightly,and tried to use the “vulkan” video driver backend,it doesn’t work yet as I would expect so early. Retropad touch still doesn’t work on Marshmallow Shield TV,I hope someone can find a solution because that completely cripples doing initial setup on a new install for both the touch mainly and the Retropad. Luckily I already had it done so I can actually DO something in it.

This would be a good reason to design a touchless companion app to fully configure RetroArch entirely via non-touch functions.

I haven’t tested using the bundled controller,and I don’t know if mine would freak out on the 3.0 OTA like several other users reported.

For personal reasons of secrecy,I can’t use controllers at all,it really sucks,I had to hide it with my other one recently (Logitech joypad) when my room went through a cleaning overhaul. Plus I have grown attached to keyboard controls on my K400r keyboard,as it also makes it easier to use functions like rewind. One issue either way when it was on Lollipop and touch worked was that I can’t enter Pro Action Replay codes or even decrypted Game Genie codes because the colon : key on the keyboard overlay doesn’t respond like it should. I think it should be able to type any and all letters and symbols to fix that issue and so those codes can be entered in,of course after the touch detection is fixed for Marshmallow. And I would still prefer having a Gamecube controller (I wish I could get one) because it is dah best kind I have ever used since it is not bulky and so much is right about its design. So tired of the countless mockups of the bulky xbox controller designs and PS1-PS4 controllers have their own issues,mainly with compatibility from reading so many people having to root just to hack in support for them.

Edit: Just tried Mupen64Plus AE with touch controls on my Shield TV Pro,and they work perfectly fine. Now you know it is more likely an issue in RetroArch itself due to Marshmallow compatibility issues.

Not the UI itself,I specifically mentioned the touch controls,I mean the ones enabled via switching the “touch” profile to “everything” which works fine when pressing each of the buttons and even moving the analog stick part works smoothly. Though I guess you mean that RetroArch runs on a purely different engine than the use of Android’s UI engine,so thats what got something disabled.

Touch says “no” in 7zipper 2.0’s device info list,but that may be similar to the Play Store (requires touchscreen) compatibility filter. In an unrelated note,enabling the mouse support in RetroArch makes a white mouse pointer appear,but I can’t control it from the looks of it.

My first thought would be to blame Google since they are the ones who removed Shield Controller touchpad support in SATV and now they must have removed the emulated touch part that RetroArch uses for Retropad and the like.

I have been fine with playing the Classic Mario World 3 hack that was recently released,having the Retropad overlay disabled,but whenever an update is made,I will gladly test to see if it works again with that change.

Hello, I wanted to ask what is the difference between: RetroArch.apk and RetroArch_debug.apk? If you go to nightlys there are always 2 APKs ago by date?

I’m running RetroArch on my GPX XD. Had 1.3.2 installed and configured everything to my needs. Updated to 1.3.3 today and some things broke. Tried the latest (2016-03-21) nightly and still the same problem.

When opening a configuration (.cfg) file the core specified in that config file is not loaded anymore. Manually loading a core is not problem though.

Yeah, question, why does the Android port of have a DeSmuME core if it’s this slow (<10 fps) on an nVidia Shield K1 Tablet? I honestly want to know. Using 1.3.2 official, no nightly build was being used, not trying to be rude, but just wondering.

If it builds, we include it (typically), if not, not.

So, the core is just part of the cores and will be released as is? Fair enough. I’ll just use DraStic or something in the mean time, sorry for asking a stupid question.