Android Nightly discussion thread

Hello guys. Is the Mupen64plus core on Android supposed to be how it is? I tried every setting under the sun, from dynamic recompiler and glide64 to gln64 (like the regular Mupen64 for Android), high level emulation, and HW shared content. Still nothing but a black screen (or a crash). I tried the latest version on Google Play, the latest version on f-droid, and even the nightly from yesterday, and still no dice. This is my last resort. Can you guys please help me. I thank you for your time

The core is broken atm, we will have to wait for a fix.

Assuming it ever does…

EDIT: Never mind; found the answer in one of my old posts -_-

On Shield TV OTA 3.1 with the latest 4/18 nightly and touch still doesn’t work on the retropad overlay via Logitech K400 Plus trackpad let alone any touch in RA. Please try to fix this as other devices also have touch issues as well.

Galaxy Note II - also waiting for a patch for the touch screen. Doesn’t work also mouse and S-pen

Fervi

Is this the best place to suggest UI updates? There’s a few things I noticed that has stayed consistent release after release (I think I brought some up at one point in the past somewhere in the forums. Don’t remember). There were tested on an nvidia shield portable with both the latest nightly and the latest stable release:

1. On options that allow you to cycle left/right through a list of values, hitting right at the end takes you back to the very first value. Hitting left though from there does not take you to the end of the list. Using Input > Max Users for example, pressing right at value 16 takes you back to 1, but pressing left at value 1 does not take you to value 16. I think this applies to every such option. Affects all menu drivers
  2. When moving inside to a sub menu and hitting back to return to the previous menu, your cursor usually stays at the last menu item selected. For example, if I enter the Video menu and make whatever changes I need to make there, and hit back to return to the main list of settings, the menu cursor remembers and starts off from the last item selected, which is Video. This doesn’t seem to be the case when entering the Input menu. Hitting back from there makes your cursor start back at the top (Driver). Affects all menu drivers
  3. On certain sub settings menu screens, hitting back after moving the menu cursor highlighting different sub items will make the menu start at a random spot at the beginning of the settings list and not at the spot where the highlighted menu item should be. It’s almost like scrolling through a sub menu also affects the parent menu’s scroll position. Affects only the glui driver I believe.
  4. This one isn’t so important but when using the touch screen to scroll and hitting the dpad while the scrolling animation is taking place, inertial scrolling does not stop. Only on the glui driver

Hopefully my explanations made sense.

The latest nightly on Android (5-14) crashes when I try to open it. I can’t move the cursor properly using a controller after entering a game and going back to the menu. The cursor only goes from top to bottom when I try to move it after exiting a game. Sometimes, when re-entering a game, the controller doesn’t respond and I have to go to the menu for Retroarch to notice the controller. This was in the last couple builds, though I haven’t tested the latest build since it crashes.

I also have an issue where the core directory doesn’t save properly when I change it with the default profile. It does save when I load custom profiles, but I have to load them every time since the default profile automatically changes the directory back to the default, even after saving it.

Edit: I reinstalled the 5-14 nightly and it’s working now. I still have the same issues with the menu and core directory saving.

[QUOTE=Radius;39014]You can’t change core directory on android. I’ll remove the setting I guess.[/QUOTE]

That’s not my experience. I was able to change the directory to elsewhere on internal memory, download cores to the changed directory, and load cores from the changed directory, just not keep it saved with the default profile. Please don’t delete the setting. I don’t want to root just to delete or use specific cores.

edit: Menu issue still not fixed as of the latest nightly. A bit disappointing that multiple issues were mentioned and the one that partially works gets the most attention.

hello how to remove entierly the overlay screen on android?because my games are not fullscreen

why the fucjed sreen are splited for all cores ?how to fix ?

Seriously big cheers for the new GUI it looks amazing keep up the great work, btw speaking of cores could you consider add a frameskip option to mednafen PC-FX Core? it run very well on my Nvidia shield portable but sometimes the frames and music are choppy with 1 or 2 frame skip it could be perfect, please consider it.

I tried the 5/17 nightly. It crashes whenever I try to load a game using a core. I tried with TyrQuake and Nestopia and both work in other builds. PCSX Rearmed is still crashing, even on the version from play store. The current MAME 2003 is still acting as if the service switch is on.

Are nightly builds supposed to uninstall themselves after an android system reboot? I’m using an odroid c2, so unlike a phone, it doesn’t say on 24/7 for weeks or months at a time between reboot/power cycles.

Every time i install a nightly build, as soon as i reboot the system it uninstalls itself (the data stays behind though). Any thoughts?

No, that shouldn’t be happening.

Alright, well the stable one from the playstore is doing something different than the nightly, Maybe the nightly is registering something into memory, and not into flash on my system. Odroid-C2’s version of android has 2 partitions, a 128mb FAT partition for the boot file, and the main partition. Retroarch seems to be the only folder that’s putting anything into the android_secure hidden folder on the FAT partician. (which is supposed to remain fairly empty.) So no clue what’s up with this.

Edit: I deleted the weird retroarch files from the 128mb fat partition and the play store’s retroarch still works. So now i’m wondering if those files came from one of the various nightly builds, and if that has something to do with the nightly build vanishing on me.

Which romset FBA SVN uses? tried Rage of Dragons and SS5SP the emu kick me to the gui or this particular games don’t boot? played matrimelee fine tough

Just search fba roms in google, the first result is good.

On latest build (2016-07-11-RetroArch.apk) Snes cores dropped performance dramatically only CATSFC works fine tested on several devices with same results (shield portable, shield tablet, shield TV, GPDXD, JXDS192) threaded video on and off still heavy fps drop/sound stutter on most games.

Using a 1.3.3 buildbot version,I get very great speeds on the Snes9x core with Shield TV using rewind (albeit granularity of 2) and HLSL 5xBR shader on nearest and 5x scale.

Yes,Shield TV may be pretty much one of the strongest things out there,but even “it” crawls to a halt on “post-April” GLideN64 at Native (1080P) resolution via Mupen64Plus AE,actually getting impacted with UI visibly being choppy in a special case of zooming fully into a fire torch on Banjo-Tooie in the Mayahem Temple Treasury’s top door. And this is with minimal settings for the best performance at 1080P! The added slowness is caused by changes since the new blending.

So that RA issue mention might have just saved us from the possible tragedy of a really slow 1.3.5 build when it gets released. I do expect a tsunami of issues upon release (no offense intended),as it always happens on new version rollouts.