Android Nightly discussion thread

Tested Mame cores again using latest nightly October 10 on my Shield Portable Kitkat.

I have two Mame cores (Arcade Mame 2003 and Arcade Mame 2014) and none of them work. There’s currently no Mame core available that works on my device. The error I get is that it asks me to “open archive as folder” or open in core, and regardless what I choose it then crashes “retro arch unexpectedly quit”.

Other cores such as fba work just fine.

This problem with Mame cores has been persistent for about 2 months in all nightlies.

It worked in the last release version so something went south during the nightly development of the Mame cores.

I updated info files and tried basically everything. I am not sure what else I can do to help fix this error.

I will not and should not have to upgrade to lollipop which is broken on the shield portable on so many levels (sound for example is distorted in lollipop)

It works on my devices and I have proved it even by video… so I don’t really know what’s the problem in your end, I can’t fix what I can’t reproduce. BTW There is MAME GIT too now on the buildbot, try that too just in case.

[QUOTE=rsn8887;29254]Tested Mame cores again using latest nightly October 10 on my Shield Portable Kitkat.

I have two Mame cores (Arcade Mame 2003 and Arcade Mame 2014) and none of them work. There’s currently no Mame core available that works on my device. The error I get is that it asks me to “open archive as folder” or open in core, and regardless what I choose it then crashes “retro arch unexpectedly quit”.

Other cores such as fba work just fine.

This problem with Mame cores has been persistent for about 2 months in all nightlies.

It worked in the last release version so something went south during the nightly development of the Mame cores.

I updated info files and tried basically everything. I am not sure what else I can do to help fix this error.

I will not and should not have to upgrade to lollipop which is broken on the shield portable on so many levels (sound for example is distorted in lollipop)[/QUOTE]

The same… I really losing any hope that mame will be fixed soon…

I just want to add that Mame core is working perfectly on windows 64…

It’s not broken…don’t spread FUD… It’s working on 5.0 and 5.1 and we haven’t changed it to be like that so it’s most likely a toolchain issue. It would be good if you could build the cores with an older toolchain to confirm, we don’t have unlimited spare time

[QUOTE=Radius;29270]It’s not broken…don’t spread FUD… It’s working on 5.0 and 5.1 and we haven’t changed it to be like that so it’s most likely a toolchain issue. It would be good if you could build the cores with an older toolchain to confirm, we don’t have unlimited spare time[/QUOTE]

Radius seem to be right , i’ve build from old toolchain (NDK10 standalone tc gcc 4.8) and it work for me on a 4.4 device. can you try on your device to confirm ?

http://dl.free.fr/mc7EBTgNB

The latest MAME/MESS 2014 cores are built with R10d /GCC 4.8 can you test them retro?

I tested Mame GIT a few hours ago and it is working OK !!!

Mame 2014/2003 didn’t work…

Test again mame 2014/2003 ?

Yeah but wait a few, I’m compiling the r10 toolchain and then MAME, try tomorrow I guess.

Just tested also on my Archos Gamepad 2 and it is working OK with the git core but NOT with the 2014 core…

Can you compile the old mame 2003 core ?

My previous answer stands

I Will update you tomorrow with the tests results…

Thanks!

Everything should have rebuilt by now so if you can test I would appreciate it

I tested again on my nvidia shield portable kitkat. I wasn’t able to download latest nightly - the build bot did not show anything (is it down?). But when I click on core updater now the mame git core shows up in addition to mame 2003 and mame 2014. Lo and behold the mame git core works as expected - no issues apart from the occasional crash mid game.

The mame 2003 and mame 2014 cores still show the erroneous “open archive as folder” option followed by a crash.

The hoster pulled the plug and we’re running of a day old backup… so, the builds are outdated

Waiting…

Still waiting for testing a new version…

??? I work on this on my spare time. I haven’t had any. Don’t be pushy.

[QUOTE=Radius;29363]??? I work on this on my spare time. I haven’t had any. Don’t be pushy.[/QUOTE]

I really don’t want to be pushy, I just want to help…

I am also doing this on my spare time…

Firstly, Radius, thankyou for all your hard work towards RetroArch.

Retro, please be patient. Chasing Radius is just going to reduce his motivation to find time for the project. The project team are amazing people who should be thanked and nothing else. This isn’t their job, and they have no obligation to the project or its community. We and it do not pay their bills. It is a hobby to them, which we are lucky to also benefit from. And like all hobbies, they do it because they enjoy it. If they start getting harassed, chased and scrutinized then its not going to be a fun hobby anymore. Which means, they will stop. Just back off and let Radius do what he can when he can.