Android Nightly discussion thread

(The fact that even snes cores get sluggish for him makes me afraid to update,especially if he didn’t use rewind and/or a shader.)

Not complaining,just giving my 2 cents about elconejotres’ issue,what if many other users encounter the same problem including myself? Knowing of this issue,I don’t wanna risk grabbing a newer build apk until the cause is found and fixed up.

The conflict is that I really want to test the mupen64plus HW core with “paraLLEl” when it comes out,and it requires me to install 1.3.5 when it gets released.

The “tsunami of issues” is just the problem about official updates,new versions offer new stuff and fixes to older ones,but it frequently ends up with stuff breaking which is really unfortunate for both sides.

I’m curious if its the cores or the apk build itself,I hope its the easier one to fix.

Does he have ALL of the mentioned devices set to a lower performing governor?

Point out where I said something “sort of” runs slowly “but not really” in my post,stop trying to pick fights with me by jaccusing me for complaining.

All of what I have said has been STATEMENTS the entire time,I been having a blast with the current build installed,my only current issue is Android’s fault for changing a crucial feature so touch functions like RetroPad stopped working in RetroArch because of Android itself via OTA updates.

Me using quotation marks instead of bolding “because the option is missing in advanced” can make one seem hateful or arrogant even when not wanting to. Testing the bold command manually… Bold words It worked,I should have been using it.

Edit: I admit to complaining in a rage before when dealing with the menu touch issues making it nearly impossible to do custom mappings,but to add,I can’t even do the exploit I used anymore because Android’s MM update killed touch access to RetroPad. Please point out if any newer build has changes that might have fixed the touch issues,such as mouse input support or anything else that makes it work again.

Regardless,I apologize for annoying you with all of this.

Would be great is there was a small delay between registering button presses when a button is held in the UI. At the moment, holding A or B (Shield Portable) for even less than a second makes the retroarch ui register a second button press. This for example makes it frustratingly easy to accidentally select the wrong directories while assigning custom dir paths, since “Use this directory” is the first option when entering a directory.

[QUOTE=retroben;42456]Does he have ALL of the mentioned devices set to a lower performing governor?

Point out where I said something “sort of” runs slowly “but not really” in my post,stop trying to pick fights with me by jaccusing me for complaining.

All of what I have said has been STATEMENTS the entire time,I been having a blast with the current build installed,my only current issue is Android’s fault for changing a crucial feature so touch functions like RetroPad stopped working in RetroArch because of Android itself via OTA updates.

Me using quotation marks instead of bolding “because the option is missing in advanced” can make one seem hateful or arrogant even when not wanting to. Testing the bold command manually… Bold words It worked,I should have been using it.

Edit: I admit to complaining in a rage before when dealing with the menu touch issues making it nearly impossible to do custom mappings,but to add,I can’t even do the exploit I used anymore because Android’s MM update killed touch access to RetroPad. Please point out if any newer build has changes that might have fixed the touch issues,such as mouse input support or anything else that makes it work again.

Regardless,I apologize for annoying you with all of this.[/QUOTE]

This is why I never updated to Marshmallow, it’s not what it’s cracked up to be, if you can revert to Lollipop, I would do so as long as there’s a safe way to revert to an older OS; I would back up your data as it will be erased when you flash the device. There’s nothing compelling, really with MM when it comes to helping emulators.

Please read edit,simply overlooked stable being a different signature and nightly installed fine with vulkan driver working great with smoother menus even.

All I can do is wait until the ParaLLEl core is actually listed,I hope the slightly older nightly is capable of seeing it,otherwise I will need to install over a 2nd time with the next build.

EditL I DO however have an issue where shaders stopped working when using vulkan,darn I can’t see 5xBR in vulkan. :frowning: The Snes9x and Genesis Plus GX cores work fine,normal Mupen crashed as expected I think.

It is only an issue when on the vulkan driver,shaders still work fine on the gl driver. I wonder if the EGL stuff could have been utilized for since the release of Shield and Shield TV?

Fzurita ported the RA Glide64 to Mupen64Plus AE,it makes me curious,could the same have been done the other way around for GLideN64 including the Full GL variant before even RA’s backport version was started?

Right, libretro-gl cores won’t work in the vulkan context, and neither will Cg or GLSL shaders. We’re working on hand-porting some Cg shaders over to the slang format that the vulkan context requires but it’s a slow process, and it’s likely 5xBR will require Hyllian’s intervention to port.

You can find the ports in progress at:

The quick menu now appearing after loading a core doesn’t work in the way intended,the options aren’t showing up for configuration so one can get out of settings that trigger immediate crashing upon booting a game. Downside is the current normal Mupen core crashes again (yes on gl backend too),so I couldn’t attempt a proven setup anyway just yet.

It worked fine on my end a few days/a week ago. Just tried my sure-fire way by nuking the list of custom mupen options on the core .cfg file in “/sdcard/Android/data/com.retroarch/…” (worked when I set rice and kept crashing before an update fixed it),but it still crashes before booting. Why must this core always be so sensitive to changes,and so close to ParaLLEl whenever its built? :frowning:

Edit: Darm it! The rewind and shader enhancements are causing the crashes again! Turning both off made it boot again. The core version before I updated allowed rewind to be on and used.

On the latest 1.3.6, the MAME core is rendering games at only 4/3 screen ratio. Forcing 16/9 in the video configs do nothing with using either the GL or Vulkan render paths. The ratio works fine for Genesis emulation cores. If this has been posted already, thanks Obama!!

Sorry for the late response I´ve been busy with work, in fact I always delete all except the saves and do clean installs, on my new GPDXD was the first time installing and had the same problem at first I tought it was due to JXDS192 shi… performance then I used it on shield devices and the GPDXD with the CFW and overclocked governor that plays even saturn games fine, I even tried on a real nexus 5 and got the same results, what really intrigues me is the fact that in all of my reports like the previous MAME ones you always say it works fine on your device when I tried all sort of things even with custom roms and governors including using lollipop,kitkat, custom rom and the new stable final update of the shield portable rom maybe something wrong on my end? anyway you’re doing an excellent work I understand these are just beta releases so is expected to find bugs and problems after all that’s because this is a feedback thread guys

PS If you want to fast replicate the issue try “SUPER PC GENJIN 2” (super bonk 2) or try battling the eye thing boss on demon’s crest you`ll see the flicker on all snes cores except on catsfc

Why has the Angrylion plugin never worked? Is cxd4 missing LLE mode when angrylion is in use? The cxd4 RSP uses HLE on its own when Glide64 is selected,I can tell by the half decent speeds. I am asking to help a Mupen64Plus AE developer who wants to try porting the plugin to see how it would run on standalone. The cxd4 RSP in HLE and LLE mode has already been successfully ported to Mupen64Plus AE and runs fine in both modes thanks to GLideN64.

I tried setting all of the RA Mupen core parameters to: Pure Interpreter,very high,angrylion,cxd4,1500,original,VBO=off,and 640x480 resolution. All of this,after all this time,and it still refuses to run even SM64,the easiest game to try for the best compatibility,it gets the same black screen,but at least no longer hangs RetroArch itself.

There’s a high chance one reason why Angrylion and even ParaLLEl refuses to work properly on Shield TV is because of shader compilation errors. I know this is possibly what it is since a port of Angrylion on stand-alone Mupen64Plus AE booted with a black screen until the dev briefly fixed a shader compilation error that was found,now it (albeit slow) works perfectly fine.

The problem is that RetroArch outright refuses to boot games on either plugin,so there is something else wrong,I wish you luck in finding the cause of this issue.

Having trouble installing the nightly build without a second storage. And still having a problem keeping the nightly WITH a secondary storage. Ok the playstore version works fine, just a little outdated.

First, the With secondary storage. Using an odroid, which has a FAT partition for the boot.ini configuration file. it’s only 126mb, so it’s almost nothing. If i install the nightly version, it’ll be gone after the next reboot, the icon will be on the homescreen, but clicking it will say the app isn’t installed. So it’ll install, but it won’t hang around, though the files will all be there, even the ones in the data/data

Which brings me to… I can unmount the FAT partition after the system has booted. Once i do, it no longer allows me to even install retroarch, it’ll just tell me the App is not installed. Straight up fails to install. If anyone knows a solution that doesn’t involve using the playstore version. Let me know.

[QUOTE=Myst3r90;20404]Hello

Again, congratulations to the developpers for Libretro/Retroarch

I’m having issues with the latest nighlies (including the last I downloaded yesterday, the 15th of march) The app crash after about 3 minutes of gaming. I would like to give you more info, but I don’t know where to find the log

My device is a TV ANdroid Box, with RK3188 core, and Kitkat 4.4.2

Myst3r90[/QUOTE]

Get A Dictionary!!! Developers

What’s your thoughts on the Snes9x 1.54 update? It mentions a libretro core,but that is likely only for desktop platforms currently,hopefully it can be added to Android sooner or later for its nice improvements. I would say DON’T replace a version with it but instead make it an entirely new core slot like exactly Snes9x 1.54 (maybe Snes9x 2016 to fit the other year-named cores) because of the more accurate soundchip emulation that will likely break many SMW etc. hacks more-so than they already might do in certain points.

http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23752

Regular ol’ snes9x-libretro has been in step with mainline for a long time.

Do you guys know why Retroarch stopped saving contents to the SD card? I can’t save states, only load them, in the nighties builds it stuck in 0%, the stable build just says it failed to save state. I never had problems like these before.

I was using adoptable storage for some time, and it was working, but before, in Android 4.3 and 5.1, I used the external storage, and RA never had problems. Last week, I decided adoptable storage has more disadvantages than it has advantages, so I converted the SD card as external storage again, as exFAT.

RA also has permissions to read/right from the SD.

Edit: It does save states in internal memory.

I was reading about it right now man. No big deal, I`ll use internal memory for it.

I accidentally set a video filter, how do I unselect it? The only choice I have is to select a different one.

This menu is a complete usability nightmare but the emulator is great.

press retropad start on the option to return to default. If you don’t have an external gamepad connected, you’ll need to go to settings > onscreen overlay and disable ‘hide overlay in menu’ or whatever it’s called so that it shows all the time. I personally like this better than using the regular touch menus anyway.