Android Nightly discussion thread

Two doubts that I’ve been thinking about:

To update RA in Windows, I replace exe and some other files, leaving cores and configs intact, in Android, I install the apk and it updates sometimes, but for some reason, sometimes the only way to install a newer build is by removing the current one, which removes configs (although I noticed that the latest versions can read configs from the internal memory in “Retroarch” folder, not stored inside Android/Data directory), cores, etc. When it happens, is there a easier way to update, or it should just be installed by the APK? Is it my phone that sometimes doesn’t let me install a newer build?

In the nightly folder, we can see the latest cores, if I download them using the core updater inside Retroarch, the latest cores are downloaded, or the ones available are the stable version?

Cores are always the latest nightly builds.

Yeah, just remove the old one and install the new package. I’m not sure what causes it but it happens on my Shield ATV sometimes, too.

[QUOTE=hunterk;50692]Cores are always the latest nightly builds.

Yeah, just remove the old one and install the new package. I’m not sure what causes it but it happens on my Shield ATV sometimes, too.[/QUOTE]

Good to know man,thanks a lot.

Hi, the last nightly crash in my android jelly bean 4.1 (weird because works fine in 4.4.2), I don’t have this issue with 1.36 stable.

same here crash in my galaxy s6 6.0.1

Anybody have broken landscape mode in latest stable/nighly releases? My phone tries to draw portrait picture in landscape.

Games look the same too

Gonna chime in again with this question/feature request. Will there ever be a feature update that adds properly functional mouse support (not like the current option creating a virtual mouse,but the actual device provided cursor activated via Shield Controller or any mouse peripheral) so touch events work again on Shield TV etc.?

Remember that it was Android’s fault with the initial Marshmallow OTA upgrade for many users losing touch access for such things as Retropad functions,which I liked using along with the more importantly wanted onscreen keyboard for attempting to type in cheats. Another problem with said onscreen keyboard is that many keys won’t even function such as “-” for Sega Genesis Game Genie codes (game data manipulation) and “:” for its PAR codes (ram manipulation),so you can’t directly put in codes manually that require such special keys.

Also,possibly too much to ask,but,why not have options to support either input setup for menu functions to use either the mapped game keys or the generic/global keyboard inputs so a real keyboard could also be used for many other functions including entering cheats with access to all keys for easy cheat adding? Not to complain at all,purely asking about it and wishing it would become possible to do these things in the future.

Is there a way to change core specific settings without actually running a game? There are times where I would set something that would upset retroarch and thus, force crash the app when a game loads

[QUOTE=Frufo;53050]Hi!

When selecting a shader preset and trying to apply these changes nothing happens in current builds. Setting a shader preset via config (video_shader, video_shader_enable) also doesn’t work. I tried the builds 2016-12-18, 2016-12-19 and 2016-12-20_staging.

Have a nice day[/QUOTE]

Same here. I also noticed that none of the built in shaders get listed anymore (despite the files being there). A different folder of shaders I have display fine but as mentioned, none of them work now.

I installed newest nightly. My boxarts have all a blue color in them.

How can i fix it?

[QUOTE=Seedlord;53209]I installed newest nightly. My boxarts have all a blue color in them.

How can i fix it?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that. And it’s affecting in-game too, gambatte for example. It’s swapping red & blue it seems.

Another thing I noticed is I have a gameboy shader that applies a nice gameboy-like green shade over the screen and that worked pretty well with older builds (as well as the current stable build in the playstore) but on the newest nightlies, the green tint is off and becomes more dark, aqua greenish. Don’t know if that’s related to the bluish overlays in any way

Another thing I noticed is I have a gameboy shader that applies a nice gameboy-like green shade over the screen and that worked pretty well with older builds (as well as the current stable build in the playstore) but on the newest nightlies, the green tint is off and becomes more dark, aqua greenish. Don’t know if that’s related to the bluish overlays in any way. The applied shader also seems to be heavier now and slows the UI quite a bit. Again, wasn’t a problem with older problems.

Another thing I noticed is I have a gameboy shader that applies a nice gameboy-like green shade over the screen and that worked pretty well with older builds (as well as the current stable build in the playstore) but on the newest nightlies, the green tint is off and becomes more dark, aqua greenish. Don’t know if that’s related to the bluish overlays in any way. The applied shader also seems to be heavier now and slows the UI quite a bit. Again, wasn’t a problem with older builds.

All my NES games are blue with Nestopia since a few days.

Yeah, it’s a texture format issue. We know what broke it (a fix that helps the Glupen core) but we’re hoping to find a compromise that fixes this issue without breaking Glupen. We’re not there yet but hopefully soon.

I cleaned everything and download the last nightly, but it’s not working for me, it freezes at first run.

Before updating my GPD XD firmware to the LegacyROM 1.8Ghz firmware, I had a nightly Retroarch build ( 2016_11_26 ) installed and it had a “Playstation-like” user interface and the Stella 2600 emulator was working fine. However, after formating my GPD XD and installing the new firmware, I installed another nightly Retroarch build ( 2016_12_25 ) but in this one, the user interface is completely different… the “playstation” menus are gone and now the interface has a simple top-down grey menu layout with 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen. Also, the Stella 2600 core is not working properly, all colors are wrong in games. I did the same test in another Android device and it has the same results, so it’s nothing device-related.

So I would like to know if the playstation-like interface is gone for good now and if the Stella 2600 core will be fixed. Thanks people :slight_smile:

You can switch to the playstation-like menu by going to settings > driver and changing the menu driver from glui to xmb.

The Stella color issue is actually part of a larger issue that we’re still working out but should at least be back to its old behavior in more recent nightly builds (of RetroArch, not the core itself).

Thanks hunterk, now the playstation menu is back!!

However, I’m trying to set the Explorer directory to start inside my ROMS folder located in /emulated/0/ROMS, but when I enter the ‘load content’ option, It doesn’t start in the path I defined (inside the ROMS directory in this case) and so I need to open all the way to the ROMS directory to select my roms everytime. This option was working in the previous version…

Thank you for your help and keep improving this superb platform :smiley: