Android Nightly discussion thread

I tried the 5/17 nightly. It crashes whenever I try to load a game using a core. I tried with TyrQuake and Nestopia and both work in other builds. PCSX Rearmed is still crashing, even on the version from play store. The current MAME 2003 is still acting as if the service switch is on.

Are nightly builds supposed to uninstall themselves after an android system reboot? I’m using an odroid c2, so unlike a phone, it doesn’t say on 24/7 for weeks or months at a time between reboot/power cycles.

Every time i install a nightly build, as soon as i reboot the system it uninstalls itself (the data stays behind though). Any thoughts?

No, that shouldn’t be happening.

Alright, well the stable one from the playstore is doing something different than the nightly, Maybe the nightly is registering something into memory, and not into flash on my system. Odroid-C2’s version of android has 2 partitions, a 128mb FAT partition for the boot file, and the main partition. Retroarch seems to be the only folder that’s putting anything into the android_secure hidden folder on the FAT partician. (which is supposed to remain fairly empty.) So no clue what’s up with this.

Edit: I deleted the weird retroarch files from the 128mb fat partition and the play store’s retroarch still works. So now i’m wondering if those files came from one of the various nightly builds, and if that has something to do with the nightly build vanishing on me.

Which romset FBA SVN uses? tried Rage of Dragons and SS5SP the emu kick me to the gui or this particular games don’t boot? played matrimelee fine tough

Just search fba roms in google, the first result is good.

On latest build (2016-07-11-RetroArch.apk) Snes cores dropped performance dramatically only CATSFC works fine tested on several devices with same results (shield portable, shield tablet, shield TV, GPDXD, JXDS192) threaded video on and off still heavy fps drop/sound stutter on most games.

Seems fine on my Shield Upgrading from what? 1.0.0.2? 1.2.2?

Using a 1.3.3 buildbot version,I get very great speeds on the Snes9x core with Shield TV using rewind (albeit granularity of 2) and HLSL 5xBR shader on nearest and 5x scale.

Yes,Shield TV may be pretty much one of the strongest things out there,but even “it” crawls to a halt on “post-April” GLideN64 at Native (1080P) resolution via Mupen64Plus AE,actually getting impacted with UI visibly being choppy in a special case of zooming fully into a fire torch on Banjo-Tooie in the Mayahem Temple Treasury’s top door. And this is with minimal settings for the best performance at 1080P! The added slowness is caused by changes since the new blending.

So that RA issue mention might have just saved us from the possible tragedy of a really slow 1.3.5 build when it gets released. I do expect a tsunami of issues upon release (no offense intended),as it always happens on new version rollouts.

@retroben your post doen’t make any sense. I’m not sure if you are complaining or what, it talks about 1.3.3, MUPENAE and what not. I don’t see any speed regressions and I’ve been testing on my Shield Portable not an ATV.

(The fact that even snes cores get sluggish for him makes me afraid to update,especially if he didn’t use rewind and/or a shader.)

Not complaining,just giving my 2 cents about elconejotres’ issue,what if many other users encounter the same problem including myself? Knowing of this issue,I don’t wanna risk grabbing a newer build apk until the cause is found and fixed up.

The conflict is that I really want to test the mupen64plus HW core with “paraLLEl” when it comes out,and it requires me to install 1.3.5 when it gets released.

The “tsunami of issues” is just the problem about official updates,new versions offer new stuff and fixes to older ones,but it frequently ends up with stuff breaking which is really unfortunate for both sides.

I’m curious if its the cores or the apk build itself,I hope its the easier one to fix.

@retroben There is no issue to begin with. Otherwise there would be more reports.

The SHIELD Tablet has a shitty performance governor. It works fine if you set it to max performance as we have established before. I tried on several devices now and I haven’t seen any performance regressions, I can even play non special chip games in the SHIELD portable with bsnes perf.

There haven’t been any major rewrites or anything that could affect performance recently. Just menu touch ups. It’s working totally fine. And I find your “sort of but not really” complaints really annoying.

@elconejotres you updated from what version? I can’t reproduce what you described at all.

Does he have ALL of the mentioned devices set to a lower performing governor?

Point out where I said something “sort of” runs slowly “but not really” in my post,stop trying to pick fights with me by jaccusing me for complaining.

All of what I have said has been STATEMENTS the entire time,I been having a blast with the current build installed,my only current issue is Android’s fault for changing a crucial feature so touch functions like RetroPad stopped working in RetroArch because of Android itself via OTA updates.

Me using quotation marks instead of bolding “because the option is missing in advanced” can make one seem hateful or arrogant even when not wanting to. Testing the bold command manually… Bold words It worked,I should have been using it.

Edit: I admit to complaining in a rage before when dealing with the menu touch issues making it nearly impossible to do custom mappings,but to add,I can’t even do the exploit I used anymore because Android’s MM update killed touch access to RetroPad. Please point out if any newer build has changes that might have fixed the touch issues,such as mouse input support or anything else that makes it work again.

Regardless,I apologize for annoying you with all of this.

I’m not accusing you of anything, I’m saying I don’t really understand you, your posts are not clear. Your wording is weird at times.

Would be great is there was a small delay between registering button presses when a button is held in the UI. At the moment, holding A or B (Shield Portable) for even less than a second makes the retroarch ui register a second button press. This for example makes it frustratingly easy to accidentally select the wrong directories while assigning custom dir paths, since “Use this directory” is the first option when entering a directory.

[QUOTE=retroben;42456]Does he have ALL of the mentioned devices set to a lower performing governor?

Point out where I said something “sort of” runs slowly “but not really” in my post,stop trying to pick fights with me by jaccusing me for complaining.

All of what I have said has been STATEMENTS the entire time,I been having a blast with the current build installed,my only current issue is Android’s fault for changing a crucial feature so touch functions like RetroPad stopped working in RetroArch because of Android itself via OTA updates.

Me using quotation marks instead of bolding “because the option is missing in advanced” can make one seem hateful or arrogant even when not wanting to. Testing the bold command manually… Bold words It worked,I should have been using it.

Edit: I admit to complaining in a rage before when dealing with the menu touch issues making it nearly impossible to do custom mappings,but to add,I can’t even do the exploit I used anymore because Android’s MM update killed touch access to RetroPad. Please point out if any newer build has changes that might have fixed the touch issues,such as mouse input support or anything else that makes it work again.

Regardless,I apologize for annoying you with all of this.[/QUOTE]

This is why I never updated to Marshmallow, it’s not what it’s cracked up to be, if you can revert to Lollipop, I would do so as long as there’s a safe way to revert to an older OS; I would back up your data as it will be erased when you flash the device. There’s nothing compelling, really with MM when it comes to helping emulators.

Please read edit,simply overlooked stable being a different signature and nightly installed fine with vulkan driver working great with smoother menus even.

All I can do is wait until the ParaLLEl core is actually listed,I hope the slightly older nightly is capable of seeing it,otherwise I will need to install over a 2nd time with the next build.

EditL I DO however have an issue where shaders stopped working when using vulkan,darn I can’t see 5xBR in vulkan. :frowning: The Snes9x and Genesis Plus GX cores work fine,normal Mupen crashed as expected I think.

It is only an issue when on the vulkan driver,shaders still work fine on the gl driver. I wonder if the EGL stuff could have been utilized for since the release of Shield and Shield TV?

Fzurita ported the RA Glide64 to Mupen64Plus AE,it makes me curious,could the same have been done the other way around for GLideN64 including the Full GL variant before even RA’s backport version was started?

Right, libretro-gl cores won’t work in the vulkan context, and neither will Cg or GLSL shaders. We’re working on hand-porting some Cg shaders over to the slang format that the vulkan context requires but it’s a slow process, and it’s likely 5xBR will require Hyllian’s intervention to port.

You can find the ports in progress at:

The quick menu now appearing after loading a core doesn’t work in the way intended,the options aren’t showing up for configuration so one can get out of settings that trigger immediate crashing upon booting a game. Downside is the current normal Mupen core crashes again (yes on gl backend too),so I couldn’t attempt a proven setup anyway just yet.

Mupen/GL is working fine on my shield