Anyone have VICE xpet working? Game closes instantly for me

The xpet VICE core is newer so perhaps it isn’t quite ready for a arbitrary install yet without preconfigured settings.

Whenever I try to run any content (.prg) the black window appears that always does right before load and then it immediately goes back to the retroarch menu. I’ve tried this with d3d12, vulkan, and gl video drivers. Based on the log it seems like it may have to do with no being able to read the cfg file (since it doesn’t exist) but then it also can’t use defaults for some reason.

Though, there are also a few entries of it not being able to load a few ROM files that I can find a bit on through Google (primarily links to standalone VICE pages), but not much. There is also some strange behavior in that it seems to start and stop the core and then start it again before the core fully loads the first time.

Either this is still bugged or the PET does need some system files that aren’t disclosed on the Github page for libretro VICE yet because I have all of those and none of them are called anything like what the log reports. I can try to get them myself but I have no idea what extension is expected because the log refers to them without an extension (perhaps they are extensionless?), i.e. “edit4b80”. Though at the same time those errors could just be a leftover from standalone VICE as in the calls not being removed for finding those but them not actually being needed in the libretro port. No way of knowing.

Log: https://pastebin.com/4SnzM4ds

https://vice-emu.sourceforge.io/vice_4.html

I see there info for what standalone VICE needs, including the “chargen” file noted for each system that my log does note is missing.

It is a bit ambiguous though because I don’t have those files for the 64, 128, and VIC-20 yet those all work in the libretro port, so if the PET needs them I guess I could try system/vice/PET I suppose.

EDIT: Placing the PET folder from standalone VICE into system/vice/ allowed the core to start but I just get “Ready” even though autostart is on. I can’t try typing run either because the keybindings are all out of wack. They don’t register half the time and when they do the key is completely wrong.

I still haven’t figured out if non-retropie retroarch has a hotkey enable button either which would be essential in having phsyical passthrough work correctly since otherwise I’d be hitting hotkeys most of the time :confused:

EDIT 2: Got hotkey enable working, bindings are still wrong even with the onscreen keyboard (may have to do with the standalone files for the PET), was able to determine what R, U and N were mapped to but I cannot for the life of me find return.