Arcade Overlays

These look great John!

John

Would it be possible to make a new Old Tv Overlay with minimal reflection glass like the one above?

Here is a Retro TV for use with the Analogue Shaders Pack V3. I have kept a retro “wood” look throughout the overlay, to keep it simple and retro.

dang, that’s great.

Great John! Tested on the Megadrive but the image is bigger, comes out of the TV, how do I resize the image as your photos? Thank you!

Add these lines to your Sega Megadrive cfg

current_resolution_id = “0” custom_viewport_width = “1080” custom_viewport_height = “820” custom_viewport_x = “264” custom_viewport_y = “142”

When running Retroarch, play around with those settings to get desired result. I only roughly centered the image. Hunterk, thanks for the comment.

Quick note. The Horizontal res of 1080 should have a height of 810, not 820, when trying for 4:3 resolution. I just used the extra 10 pixels to fill the virtual screen.

Here is another Retro TV v2, the Emerson.

This one can be used with full 100% opacity.

Use these lines to make sure the image is centre on the virtual TV

current_resolution_id = “0” custom_viewport_width = “1200” custom_viewport_height = “872” custom_viewport_x = “204” custom_viewport_y = “106”

Here is v1 with FULL 100% opacity.

1 Like

[I][B]Jhon Fantastic !!!

Can you create a generic overlay for vertical games similar to the generic horizontal cabinet overlay ???

And also a monitor to fit the shader 80s Super Bloom because the screen is tilted and RETRO TV can not be adapted.

Thank you![/B][/I]

A vertical overlay is on my to do list. And No, I will not do a monitor to fit your 80’s whatever. Not interested, no time.

John excuse my bad English, I mean on a screen inclined shaders for example what I told you … What other ideas do you have in mind?

Thank you John these look so authentic! Would you mind revisit this Overlay

and give it the same treatment as the ones you just posted?

Sorry I’m sold on that tv lol

Fantastic work John, it’s so life-like.

Ok, here is the vertical version using as much screen space as possible - 1080x810.

To center the image use the following in your MAME cfg.

custom_viewport_width = “810” custom_viewport_height = “1080” custom_viewport_x = “556” custom_viewport_y = “0”

>>>Fantastic work John, it’s so life-like.

Thanks to your wonderful shaders, they truly look awesome.

>>>Would you mind revisit this Overlay

I think the problem isn’t the reflection, it’s the fact that I forgot about the opacity levels and it’s at 100%. Will have a look later.

1 Like

Thank you john for looking in on it. I’m a sucker for old tv’s. The settings you posted are they specifically for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis?

1 Like

>>>>Thank you john for looking in on it. I’m a sucker for old tv’s.

This is the last one I’m doing for this overlay. I’m not really liking this one too much as the resolution and definition is too low and grainy.

>>>>The settings you posted are they specifically for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis?

They’re just to get anyone started quickly, without needing to do any config tweaking/editing.

Just a quick test for v3 Vintage TV.

1 Like

Thank you! Won’t bug you anymore with that overlay. Looks great now :slight_smile:

What settings would you recommend even if you dont the like the image too much?

V3 Vintage looks very authentic!

Here is something i have been thinking about for quite some time now. Its a request if you would like to do it.

How about a full overlay for Vectrex using lr-mess or lr-vecx.

There are a couple of Arcade version and the home console versions/clones

I think the best would be to integrate the Inlay with the overlay to get the right feeling of sitting down with the real thing.

These are the sites that have artwork and more pictures that i could find.

http://www.vectrex.co.uk/ http://vectrexmuseum.com/news/ http://computer-classics.de/cah_blog2/test-resource-post/vectrex/ (A few hq scans) http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/vectrex.htm

Here is a thread on RetroPie forum about the Overlays that are done. https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2638/vectrex-overlay-artwork

Vectrex is tough because of the alpha channel. If you mask off the TV only, then you will get two different parts of the overlay. One part with lower opacity and brightness, while the other is normal. My only thought is to make the whole overlay a alpha channel and use the in-built overlay opacity to 60-70%, resulting in this.

That is just a test, but not bad. You would then need a overlay per-game. Just got to get the position of the emulated image in the correct place.

Bit better now. Vectors now get coloured by the overlay. Image is now in the correct position, the fuel line has to line-up with the very bottom overlay line. Changed shader, bit duller but better defined vectors.

2 Likes

Omg! These look so good!

This is exactly what i was thinking. They even look better then i imagined.

An overlay per game yes but i think there where only 23 Official games made. I don’t know about the homebrew but they should also have an overlay.

They look better fullscreen and in motion. The resize doesn’t do them any justice.

Pole Position. Just wish Retroarch had dedicated vector shaders like MAME. Will upload a test overlay a bit later.

2 Likes