4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Thanks @BlackTiger! I’m really happy with how this one came out too :slight_smile:

Really nice detailing work. A lot of subtlety. I hope you had fun putting it all together. Really amazing.

2 Likes

I picked up a better scanner the other day and am going to rescan some of the material I used previously.

Here are scans of the SF3 Third Strike instruction cards at 1200 dpi:

I cleaned them up a little bit but there is still some damage that I don’t know how to fix.

2 Likes

I’ve also updated the overlay for SF3 Third Strike with the better scans:

5 Likes

Here is a Black Label version of the Deathsmiles overlay:

Marquee and instruction card:

6 Likes

You could have used my scramble here. Scramble Zaccaria

I like your blacklight effect, for my personal taste you could punch it a bit more or even give it a bit more glare.

2 Likes

That’s hillarious. You even added the starfield monitor surround. I sat there yesterday thinking I should… then… nah lol. Looks like I’ll be using your bezel now. Even looks like we both used the same marquee source. Looks like I was wrong about that. You have some damage I didn’t have to clean up on mine. I had a giant vertical reflection on the bottom. Cool lol. I did push the blacklight effect much more but dialed it back a bit since it was a bit much to stare at for long periods.

1 Like

I’ve been working on an overlay for Battle Bakraid and as part of that cleaning up and translating various materials for the game, as well as creating an additional instruction strip.

Thanks to @benlogan for his assistance in cleaning up this arcade flyer, which had a prominent seam in the middle, presumably due to folding:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dtmzzxqstv0r4z/Battle-bakraid-flyer-fixed.png?dl=0

I’ve also translated both original instruction cards from japanese to english. And have a blank variation as well, in case someone wants to translate to yet another language:

I’ve also created a custom instruction strip, which documents how to use the Konami cheat code to unlock an additional 5 ships in the game:

Actual overlay is still in progress.

4 Likes

Battle Bakraid 4K Vertical Overlay

The final product:

7 Likes

Updated Gunbird 2

I recreated the marquee using cleaner, higher resolution scans and also added the japanese instruction card at the bottom of the overlay. At some point I’ll try to either replace the japanese with english or create a custom english overlay, but that will take some serious time which I probably won’t have for a few weeks. But this is still an improvement over the last version:

New marquee:

Instruction card:

Also, I didn’t use it, but it’s there for anyone who wants it for their own project, a vertical character strip:

4 Likes

Thanks man. Yeah I can be a little obsessive sometimes lol. But, anything worth doing is worth doing well, right? :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks @dreamstate for introducing me to this very cool artwork for the Gemini Wing game. I’ve ordered a marquee and will scan and clean it up once it arrives, as well as create an overlay.

For now, I did a reasonably decent cleanup that looks good at screen resolutions. Thanks to Raspbear from the mame forums for his vector logo work. I used that to add missing sections of the bezel that were cut off the original scan. (I don’t know if this is accurate whatsoever, but looks better than the chopped version IMO):

Here is the full size (huge) png:

Gemini Wing Bezel - Full Size

5 Likes

Commando 4k Vertical Overlay

6 Likes

This is some great artwork! Although I feel a little bit bad for this guy: Capture _2020-05-21-07-24-37

3 Likes

He’s super fun and has a great personality though! :joy:

1 Like

Here is the marquee for Gemini Wing, I was able to find someone selling this very rare artwork on eBay so purchased it myself to scan and share with the community. I spent this evening restoring it as best I could:

Full size PNG here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0965h4q7inzjyi/gemini-wing-marquee-ars-invictus.png?dl=0

7 Likes

Amazing ebay finds, Ars. Thanks so much for your gifts to the community — both in terms of recent art acquisitions, and especially your talent and creativity!

3 Likes

Here is the completed overlay for Gemini Wing. I really do love the art design on this one, it was definitely worth all the time, money and effort to resurrect it.

Many thanks to Mr. Do as well for supplying the original scan and doing the initial work on the bezel, as well as Raspbear on the logo art.

6 Likes

Wow. Finished product looks amazing. Thanks, Ars!

1 Like

Here is an Elevator Action overlay. Many thanks to Mr. Do for providing the scans for this game. I put some effort into cleaning up the art and there are links to the marquee and bezel below:

5 Likes