4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KxS_Rt6beAaDDGzjWGikWDEOw7R9oz_P/view?usp=sharing

Wrestlemania (1995), I added the bezel the @ArsInvictus, but I don’t have the marquee

5 Likes

Killer Instinct 2 (RARE - 1996)

Thanks to @walter.farmacia for providing the excellent CPO design for this overlay, which was also a nice nudge to put this one together.

MAME - Killer Instinct 2

RetroArch - Killer Instinct 2

5 Likes

I absolutely love these little descriptions you all do for the games!

3 Likes

WWF WrestleMania (Midway – 1995)

MAME version

RetroArch version

Let’s get ready to wrrrrestlleeee (we’d have to pay Michael Buffer to say “rumble”) with Midway’s 1995 chair-smashing fighting game, which brought Midway’s trademark video-captured visual style to a WWF arcade game. Sort of a cross between NBA Jam’s fast-paced arcade sports action and Mortal Kombat’s competitive fighting mechanics (including the fanciful special attacks, but minus the ultraviolence), WWF WrestleMania brings pretty much everything you love and/or hate about pro wrestling into a fun and approachable face-kicking package. This one was designed by @walter.farmacia, I just added the marquee and lay/cfg files.

6 Likes

Glad you like them @Rion! I certainly enjoy writing them, and you’ll find lots more at verticalarcade.com, we have writeups for all the games.

2 Likes

super beautiful!!! amazing!!! thank @ArsInvictus and @Thoggo you are the best!!

5 Likes

Punisher (Capcom - 1993)

Another overlay with the CPO contributed by @walter.farmacia, thanks again Walter for chipping in your time and effort on this!

I recreated the look of the original Capcom Dynamo cab for this one and used an actual photograph of the marquee taken at Galloping Ghost. Hope you enjoy!

MAME - Punisher

RetroArch - Punisher

8 Likes

Good Night!! In this work use the bezel of @Thoggo

Work 100% in MAME 0.225

NBA Showtime (1999) (MIDWAY) 4K https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hnzzT6DT8IegF01FNTKMr89vdb0MEu0B/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Good night !!!

Killer Instinct (1994) (NINTENDO) (RARE)

I made one with @Thoggo’s bezel and one with @ArsInvictus’s bezel

3 Likes

@walter.farmacia, here is the full overlay for NBA Showtime. I’ve been having some technical issues getting it working on my machine using the latest version of MAME. If you can set it up and capture a proper screenshot to share, as well as the LAY configuration, it would be appreciated:

Note, I’m using the plastic bezel here as that is on the original cabinet design.

5 Likes

Last Blade (SNK - 1997) and Last Blade 2 (SNK - 1998)

Finally got around to publishing 2 more in the NEO GEO series of games. Many thanks to Mandy from Neotropolis for contributing the scans of the Last Blade 2 instruction strips, which weren’t available online until now.

MAME - Last Blade

MAME - Last Blade 2

RetroArch - Last Blade

RetroArch - Last Blade 2

8 Likes

Crystal Castles (Atari – 1983)

MAME version

RetroArch version

An early-80s Atari classic that is celebrated as much for its beautiful MC Escher-esque cabinet art as for the game itself, Crystal Castles is a somewhat surreal take on Pac-Man-style “eat the dots” gameplay, within a series of three-dimensional castles filled with fantasy baddies. Players control Bentley Bear, whose insatiable greed compels him to pick up all the gems from every level, evading sentient crystal balls, aggressive trees, swarms of bees and a flying witch along the way. The game’s trackball controls added a level of novelty common to several Atari games of the era, while the levels (rendered using a technique known as trimetric projection, says Wikipedia) feature 3D twists and platforms that require quick thinking and dexterity to navigate while staying alive.

8 Likes

NBA Showtime (Midway – 1999)

MAME version

RetroArch version

This was a joint effort between @walter.farmacia and @ArsInvictus, and it looks great. NBA Showtime was the first Midway NBA game to feature 3D graphics, in the same style as the NFL Blitz series, with which it later appeared in Midway’s SportStation cabinet. The game features NBC branding and is designed to loosely resemble an NBC game broadcast. Note that it can be a bit of a pain to get working properly depending on which version you’re using, but it’s worth the effort for some turn-of-the-millennium arcade basketball.

7 Likes

Too funny, this came up on my background rotation, it seems some kid got more than he bargained for when he was playing where’s waldo :rofl:

5 Likes

You guys are doing a wonderful job of capturing that unique texture that later Atari CPO surfaces featured (Crystal Castles, for example) – that kinda matte / grainy feel that diffused light so nicely. Just great.

4 Likes

Thanks @benlogan! I’m glad it feels right to you, that’s certainly the goal. We’ve used a variety of different types of textures – the CPOs I do are in Photoshop, and often from scratch (I recreated the Crystal Castles CPO art from scratch as we didn’t have a great art source), and the textures vary somewhat, I don’t know that they are always super accurate as I’m seldom in the presence of the original cabinets. In the case of Crystal Castles, I think it turned out quite nicely. Our rendered CPOs sometimes accentuate the texture a bit more in order to catch the light better and “look” a bit more realistic, as you could miss the texture if it’s too subtle. At any rate, we certainly strive to capture the look of the cabinets and to make you feel like you’re standing in front of the real thing.

6 Likes

A quick update on the Vertical Arcade site: I just posted a new update, which adds 16 new games (already posted here) to the collection, and you can now download a Zip file with just the latest update if you already have the rest. If you follow this thread, you may have already downloaded them all, but in case you haven’t, check out the latest at https://www.verticalarcade.com/overlays/latest-overlays .

7 Likes

You’re always pointing out the hilarious and weird in the cabinet art, @HyperspaceMadness, thank you for that. :clap:

4 Likes

Awesome. Love that these are packaged as a update. Super convenient. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi ALL,

well it’s been awhile, thing got a bit hectic and still are, but hopefully will get back to some new overlays.

But first here is my collection of overlays that I already did and give a bit of an update to fit in with the new style and look that the team is working on. I will give a link to the main folder where you can just grab what you need.

little sample pic:

some of you might notice a few new overlays hidden in there, so hope you enjoy those.

get overlays here (and if you feel something is not working, please PM me)

8 Likes