Audio in the Atari800 core

Hi,

I found that R-Type recently released an Atai800 core here:

Being the Atari 800 such an amazing machine, I was surprised to see it finally appearing on libretro! The problem is that I can’t get the sound to work. Has anybody got it to work? Maybe it’s an early version and sound is not connected?

[QUOTE=vanfanel;34166]Hi,

I found that R-Type recently released an Atai800 core here:

Being the Atari 800 such an amazing machine, I was surprised to see it finally appearing on libretro! The problem is that I can’t get the sound to work. Has anybody got it to work? Maybe it’s an early version and sound is not connected?[/QUOTE]

Hi ,

Sound working for me at least on linux X64 and android .

Is there a compiled Windows x64 link anywhere ? Would love to try this.

not tested and no support on this platform :slight_smile:

http://dl.free.fr/choThCJc9

r-type, many thanks. :slight_smile:

Edit: Just tried it, works well, thanks. Sound is only coming from the left speaker, but I can live with that.

Is the Atari 800 keyboard supported ? Many games require the START/OPTION keys to start a game, but not sure what these are mapped to on a PC keyboard. Tried the usual F1, F2 etc… but these just change retroarch’s settings.

[QUOTE=John.Merrit;34208]r-type, many thanks. :slight_smile:

Edit: Just tried it, works well, thanks. Sound is only coming from the left speaker, but I can live with that.

Is the Atari 800 keyboard supported ? Many games require the START/OPTION keys to start a game, but not sure what these are mapped to on a PC keyboard. Tried the usual F1, F2 etc… but these just change retroarch’s settings.[/QUOTE]

yes it’s a wip port !

and yes for sound it’s mono and maybe the pb for vanfanel. have to look deeper .

for start/option :

In joy mode

L3 NA R3 NA L2 KEY SPACE R2 KEY ESCAPE L CONSOL_OPTION R TOGGLE UI SEL CONSOL_SELECT X FIRE2/KEY ESCAPE IN GUI Y VKBD ON/OFF

In Keayboard mode

F1 MAIN GUI F2 CONSOL_OPTION F3 CONSOL_SELECT F4 CONSOL_START

But you have to choose in retroarch input menu: atari_keyboard or atari_joystick instead of retropad. i enable a hotkey for retroarch (personnaly i choose F11 ) then hiting F1 lead me to the atari menu not the retroarch one (F1 +F11 with my hotkey) .

r-type, that was very helpful many thanks. :slight_smile:

@r-type: I have both speakers connected. All the other cores do have sound (your other cores too), except this one…

Strange, as it work (basically 1channel) for me and John.Merrit , BTW do you have an .atari800.cfg created by the official core that could interfere with this core ? on mine i have .

SOUND_ENABLED=1 SOUND_RATE=44100 SOUND_BITS=16

@r-type: I have deleted my previous atari800.cfg, and still no sound. All other cores sound well, so this is a problem with this particular core: this one doesn’t even make background noise, it’s totally silent. I am always using latest RetroArch from the repository.

EDIT: I was building an ARM version for Raspberry Pi. Building an X86 version, audio seems to work (in MONO). So it’s something on the Raspberry Pi that makes this core silent. Strange…

ok ,

Arm android work also.i ll try on ubuntu on nvidia shield. BTW sound is weird on this core , i ll look at when possible .

@r-type: also, when one saves the settings from Atari800 internal GUI, wrong color settings are saved, so next time emulator is launched we get all-white image. One has to delete the color settings manually from atari800.cfg to be able to see something again.

can you be more precise, which color setting ? i m not familiar with atari800 emulator i try only with color preset and they save fine. did you mean external palette ?

edit: i try external act and they work fine too after save exit and reload. i use save at exit and can’t reproduce the all white image .

@r-type: this is what you can do to reproduce the problem.

1. Load the core with a game.
  2. Press F1 to go to the menu. The RA menu will come up: press F1 again to stay in the Atari800 GUI.
  3. Go to “Emulation Configuration” -> “Save configuration file”. No need to make any changes, just save it.
  4. Exit the core and RA.
  5. Enter the core again and you should see a white image and nothing else.

Now, you can see these values have been added to .atari800.cfg COLOURS_NTSC_SATURATION=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_CONTRAST=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_BRIGHTNESS=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_GAMMA=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_HUE=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_GTIA_DELAY=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_EXTERNAL_PALETTE= COLOURS_NTSC_EXTERNAL_PALETTE_LOADED=0 COLOURS_NTSC_ADJUST_EXTERNAL_PALETTE=0 COLOURS_PAL_SATURATION=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_CONTRAST=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_BRIGHTNESS=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_GAMMA=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_HUE=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_GTIA_DELAY=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_EXTERNAL_PALETTE= COLOURS_PAL_EXTERNAL_PALETTE_LOADED=0 COLOURS_PAL_ADJUST_EXTERNAL_PALETTE=0

These values ARE the problem. Remove them totally (delete those lines), re-enter RA with the core, and image will be ok again.

[QUOTE=vanfanel;34396]@r-type: this is what you can do to reproduce the problem.

1. Load the core with a game.
  2. Press F1 to go to the menu. The RA menu will come up: press F1 again to stay in the Atari800 GUI.
  3. Go to “Emulation Configuration” -> “Save configuration file”. No need to make any changes, just save it.
  4. Exit the core and RA.
  5. Enter the core again and you should see a white image and nothing else.

Now, you can see these values have been added to .atari800.cfg COLOURS_NTSC_SATURATION=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_CONTRAST=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_BRIGHTNESS=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_GAMMA=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_HUE=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_GTIA_DELAY=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_NTSC_EXTERNAL_PALETTE= COLOURS_NTSC_EXTERNAL_PALETTE_LOADED=0 COLOURS_NTSC_ADJUST_EXTERNAL_PALETTE=0 COLOURS_PAL_SATURATION=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_CONTRAST=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_BRIGHTNESS=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_GAMMA=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_HUE=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_GTIA_DELAY=1.21004e-298 COLOURS_PAL_EXTERNAL_PALETTE= COLOURS_PAL_EXTERNAL_PALETTE_LOADED=0 COLOURS_PAL_ADJUST_EXTERNAL_PALETTE=0

These values ARE the problem. Remove them totally (delete those lines), re-enter RA with the core, and image will be ok again.[/QUOTE]

i have hotkey enable so F1 lead me directly to atari menu ! btw, i have change many setting (color ,palette, machine ect …) or just save configuration file like you explain , and i don’t have to behaviour. it’s definitively a bug on rpi or at least not affecting linux x64 . surely related to float value.

COLOURS_NTSC_SATURATION=0
COLOURS_NTSC_CONTRAST=0
COLOURS_NTSC_BRIGHTNESS=0
COLOURS_NTSC_GAMMA=0.3
COLOURS_NTSC_HUE=0
COLOURS_NTSC_GTIA_DELAY=26.8
COLOURS_NTSC_EXTERNAL_PALETTE=
COLOURS_NTSC_EXTERNAL_PALETTE_LOADED=0
COLOURS_NTSC_ADJUST_EXTERNAL_PALETTE=0
COLOURS_PAL_SATURATION=0
COLOURS_PAL_CONTRAST=0.08
COLOURS_PAL_BRIGHTNESS=-0.08
COLOURS_PAL_GAMMA=2.35
COLOURS_PAL_HUE=0
COLOURS_PAL_GTIA_DELAY=23.2
COLOURS_PAL_EXTERNAL_PALETTE=/vm/libretro/act/jakub.act
COLOURS_PAL_EXTERNAL_PALETTE_LOADED=1

ok just tested with a pi2 and get the same behaviour (white screen and wrong value in cfg) like you. i ll look at.

You also get no audio on the Pi2, right?

No with last commit i get sound over hdmi working fine.

@r-type: Ok, I got sound working now on the Pi. However, there’s still something very wrong with the sound. This doesn’t sound like standalone Atari800 emulator: it has far worse sound. Have you also noticed that? Compare Dropzone audio effects, for example.

yes i know, it’s sound horrible, I tried on my own many sound implementation (sync/callback/pokeysnd … ) but they all sound as bad as the current one , it’s a bit frustrating.

i don’t know why ,but i don’t give up :slight_smile: