Beetle mednafen Saturn core on Android

Can’t get full speed on Sonic jam world level. I have Snapdragon 855+ and can run the most demanding ps1 game (rage racer) perfectly on beetle mednafen psx using only two-thirds CPU speed. Even at full CPU speed on mednafen saturn, I get crackling sound on Sonic jam world level. Is Saturn core that demanding or is it something else? My audio latency is 128 in retroarch and video is full screen. Audio synchronization timing skew is .15 and delta rate control is .005.

1 Like

I can’t speak for the Saturn core but I can say that the PS1 is not a proper benchmark. Snex9x even has a higher system requirement.

1 Like

I believe for any setup, the Beetle Saturn core is much more demanding than the Beetle PSX core.

Phones are too weak to run beetle saturn.

Generally about demand: fast forward with framerate display enabled. It’s often possible to extrapolate results roughly from different host systems that way for cores also, e.g. I know that when reaching about 400 fps on my desktop PC, I can at least expect full speed for 60 FPS content on my old notebook, while my old LG phone probably is performing at half that speed at best generally.

Yeah I was afraid of that! I heard Saturn has like nine chips that need to be emulated. All those chips and the PS1 still comes out ahead in 3D. I tried yaba sanshiro and yabause cores but they have various problems like yellow vertical lines on the screen and yaba sanshiro audio and video way out of sync with jerky video. Thanks for the answers everyone!