Beetle PSX broken ZSTD compatibility

I have all my PS1 games as ZSTD CHDs and I just updated this core. All games fails to load now, luckily I still had a backup and was able to “downgrade” back to the old core. RA 1.22.2 Win64 / Beetle PSX (0.9.44.1 501e771)

Please tell me it’s a bug and not something that’s planned.

[edit] Oh bugger, it was planned. core locked

The removal was planned but there’s no indication in that commit message that the breakage you experienced was.

Yeah, I can see zstd is still supposed to work, I guess something broke in the process.

zstd decode now comes from libretro-common’s own rzstd

Is zstd the default with chdman nowadays? That is, if I go compress a bin/cue with default settings, will it be a valid test?

No, chdman defaults lzma.

I have used this parameter for a long long time and it have worked flawless until the change on Github.

I use chdman 0.289.

chdman createcd -c cdzs,cdfl -hs 9792

What is the point of that crazy hunk size? Only seen it suggested to be used with size 2048 when doing createdvd. Also zstd is supposed to be used with -c zstd,cdzs,cdfl when doing createcd, and just plain -c zstd with createdvd, or at least was, but I haven’t updated chdman in a while.

It still doesn’t work if I use createcd -c zstd,cdzs,cdfl

DVD (createdvd) is different to CD hunk size. e.g PS2 (for DVD based games) and PSP must have -hs 2048 specified to avoid issues.

Yep, updated the core and my discs won’t boot anymore either…

This commit fixed it for me, zstd is back in business.

Thank you.

@sonninnos “-hs 9792” was suggested to me by a MiSTer user.

1 Like