Beetle PSX HW - Broken texture filterring with IR more than 1x

Since texture filtering was added to the core a picture is broken in some games (mostly 2D). I wonder if there is any way to fix it or at least add an option to disable texture filtering if needed.

This is FF7 example. In Silent Hill everything is fine thou.

Texture filtering enabled with Internal Resolution set to 4x

Texture filtering enabled with IR set to 1x

Even with IRx1 you can see green outlines on some objects. It’s just not that obvious.

Yeah the issue is old as the PS emulation itself. Not even Pete has managed to fix the infamous FF7 green outline bug (and he spent some time to adjust his special texture filtering). Luckily it doesen’t happen with lot of games. It has something to do with interpolation with alpha values i think.

The best way to avoid it is to use a 2D+3D shader from Hyllian instead of default filtering.

1 Like

It shouldn’t show up if the filtering is set to ‘nearest’, AFAIK. That’s the normal PS1 sampling mode, so it should show the fewest bugs.

@hunterk did you add texture filtering to the Vulkan renderer at last? I saw a PR.

Sure did. It still needs the texture clamping that iCatButler added to the GL filtering, though. They offered to do the same for the vulkan renderer, so hopefully that will fix up the remaining artifacts with the bilinear/3point/jinc2 filters, as well.

Well yes. But it would be nice to have an option to disable texture filtering thou. Like it is in Pete’s plugin.

“nearest” should be the same as disabled.

1 Like

So I tried texture filtering, and it’s weird - you get smooth tiles that repeat and don’t look quite right. I think my tastes have just changed and I like the PS1’s pixellated textures now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks. It works. But the core has to be restarted thou.

Yeah. I’m also into it. I have to say that CRT Lottes shader mask those pixelations on textures good enough.