Beetle PSX HW Core not Loading! (Help!)

Beetle PSX HW Core all of a sudden isn’t working! I just used it a few months ago in August and I haven’t changed anything. The regular Beetle PSX core is working but not Beetle PSX HW. What happened all of a sudden?! I see it trying to open down on my tool bar then it just crashes and closes…

Same as in this topic.

But that suggestion didn’t do anything as I don’t even have “Use Second Instance for Run-Ahead” enabled…

Also I tried deleting the core options/ the .opt file and that did nothing either…

Okay, it works with gl but when I switch to Vulkan it crashes every time. I really want to use the Texture replacement option. Is there any reason why I can’t use Vulkan?

We would need to see a log of it crashing to even guess, but if it was working before and now isn’t, it’s probably something external to RetroArch. For example, GPU drivers.

Here is my log

[INFO] [CONTENT LOAD]: Updating firmware status for: C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\cores\mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll on C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\system
[INFO] [CORE]: Using content: D:\Emulation\Playstation Emulation\RetroArch Playstation ISOs\Chrono Cross\Chrono Cross.m3u.
[INFO] [Core]: Content ran for a total of: 00 hours, 00 minutes, 00 seconds.
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core..
[INFO] [Core]: Unloading core symbols..
[INFO] [Video]: Average monitor Hz: 60.002400 Hz. (2.592 % frame time deviation, based on 2048 last samples).
[INFO] RetroArch 1.9.1 (Git cf6ca2a)
[INFO] === Build =======================================
[INFO] CPU Model Name: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor            
[INFO] Capabilities:  MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AES AVX AVX2
[INFO] Built: Mar 28 2021
[INFO] Version: 1.9.1
[INFO] Git: cf6ca2a
[INFO] =================================================
[INFO] [Input]: Found input driver: "dinput".
[INFO] [Core]: Loading dynamic libretro core from: "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\cores\mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll"
[INFO] [Overrides]: No core-specific overrides found at "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\config\Beetle PSX HW\Beetle PSX HW.cfg".
[INFO] [Overrides]: No content-dir-specific overrides found at "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\config\Beetle PSX HW\Chrono Cross.cfg".
[INFO] [Overrides]: No game-specific overrides found at "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\config\Beetle PSX HW\Chrono Cross.cfg".
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_CORE_OPTIONS_VERSION.
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_LANGUAGE: "0".
[INFO] [Environ]: RETRO_ENVIRONMENT_SET_CORE_OPTIONS_INTL.
[INFO] Core requested VFS version >= v2, providing v3
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_CONTROLLER_INFO.
[INFO] [Remaps]: Remap directory: "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\config\remaps".
[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save file to "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\saves\Chrono Cross.srm".
[INFO] [Overrides]: Redirecting save state to "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\states\Chrono Cross.state".
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_LOG_INTERFACE.
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_MESSAGE_INTERFACE_VERSION.
[INFO] [Environ]: SYSTEM_DIRECTORY: "C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\system".
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_SAVE_DIRECTORY.
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_DISK_CONTROL_INTERFACE_VERSION.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_DISK_CONTROL_EXT_INTERFACE.
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_PERF_INTERFACE.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_SERIALIZATION_QUIRKS.
[INFO] [Environ]: PERFORMANCE_LEVEL: 15.
[INFO] [CONTENT LOAD]: Content loading skipped. Implementation will load it on its own.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_INPUT_DESCRIPTORS:
[INFO] [Environ]: GET_RUMBLE_INTERFACE.
[libretro INFO] Rumble interface supported!
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: XRGB8888.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_CONTROLLER_INFO.
[libretro INFO] Loading D:\Emulation\Playstation Emulation\RetroArch Playstation ISOs\Chrono Cross\Chrono Cross.m3u...
[libretro INFO] Checking if required firmware is present...
[libretro INFO] Firmware found: C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\system\scph5501.bin
[libretro INFO] Firmware SHA1: 0555C6FAE8906F3F09BAF5988F00E55F88E9F30B
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_HW_RENDER, context type: vulkan.
[INFO] Requesting Vulkan context.
[INFO] Reached end of SET_HW_RENDER.
[INFO] [Environ]: SET_HW_RENDER_CONTEXT_NEGOTIATION_INTERFACE.
[INFO] [SRAM]: Skipping SRAM load..
[INFO] Setting disc in tray: 2/2 - Chrono Cross (USA) (Disc 2)
[INFO] Version of libretro API: 1
[INFO] Compiled against API: 1
[INFO] [Cheats]: Load game-specific cheatfile: C:\Users\nxjta\OneDrive\Desktop\RetroArch\cheats\Beetle PSX HW\Chrono Cross.cht
[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 44228.26 Hz.
[INFO] [Video]: Video @ fullscreen
[INFO] [Video]: Using HW render, vulkan driver forced.
[WARN] [Vulkan]: Got HW context negotiation interface, but it's the wrong interface version.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Vulkan dynamic library loaded.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found vulkan context: vk_w
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Detecting screen resolution 1920x1080.
[INFO] [Video]: Setting fullscreen to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz on device \\.\DISPLAY1.
[WARN] [Vulkan]: Got HW context negotiation interface, but it's the wrong interface version.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 0: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Found GPU at index 1: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU index 0.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Queue family 0 supports 16 sub-queues.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Creating swapchain with present mode: 2
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using swapchain size 1920 x 1080.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Got 3 swapchain images.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Creating swapchain with present mode: 2
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using swapchain size 1920 x 1080.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Got 3 swapchain images.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using resolution 1920x1080
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Using BGRA8888 format.
[INFO] [Vulkan]: Loading stock shader.
[INFO] [XInput]: Found XInput v1.4.
[INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: "xinput".
[INFO] [Font]: Using font rendering backend: freetype.
[INFO] [Video]: Found display server: win32

Thing is I can use Vulcan with the regular PSX Beatle core but not the HW core…

Does anyone see anything wrong with the log?

I’m way out of my depth but there’s some warnings logged related to vulkan. Scroll down toward the end. Wrong interface version.

Are you using the iGPU for anything? Try disabling it in the PC bios.

How specifically do I get to that setting?

Every BIOS is going to be a little different. You can check your motherboard/BIOS info at the manufacturer website, or just look for some kind of setting about integrated graphics, and shut it off so that you are only trying to use your video card.

its not a bit dated your version of retroarch? 1.9.1

And that 1.9.1 was working in August. As of now, all of the cores and assets are updated. Shouldn’t matter though if the cores are up to date.

Doesn’t make any sense though because every other core I’ve tried works with Vulkan except Playstation Beetle HW…It has to be some update made to that core that reverted my access to the Beetle HW for whatever reason. I just used it in August, so it has to be the update.

Of course it matters. There may have been significant changes to the video drivers.

FYI, many cores will run with Vulkan as the chosen video driver. . . that does not mean they will use Vulkan. For example, if you select GLideN64 as the RDP renderer for Mupen, it will auto switch the driver to glcore. You can try to edit your Beetle_PSX_HW.opt and replace…

beetle_psx_hw_renderer = "hardware"

with

beetle_psx_hw_renderer = "hardware_vk"

…to force Vulkan rendering.

If that fails you can try…

beetle_psx_hw_renderer = "hardware_gl"

…to force opengl.

You could also try deleting your opt file, or temporarily renaming it.

Mine is still working fine… I just used it last night.

I tried editing the opt file but it is already set to beetle_psx_hw_renderer = “hardware_vk”, and still doesn’t open or run. But, it does run when I set the video to gl. Also, I already tried deleting and renaming the opt file and that didn’t work either.

My specs are:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor 4.50 GHz

64.0 GB (63.1 GB usable)

Nvidia 4090

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 11 Home

Did the recent Beetle HW core update change or alter Vulcan support for users with these specs? Like, I said an older version of the Playstation Beetle HW Core was working for me a few months ago…

You should be able to run Vulkan using a 4090. My concern is still that something is wonky because both your GPUs are visible to the OS.

When I go to task manager/performance/GPU 0 (Nvidia Gforce RTX 4090) is the only one being used when I start a game. The second option below it, GPU1 (AMD Radeon) is at 0% at all times.

I’d assume I’m using my 4090 as my main GPU. In my Nvidia Control panel in 3D management options there is no dropdown menu to select any other GPU’s, like laptops have. I have a Desktop. I found a post about this. But, I assume that’s just for monitor settings. As I have my monitor directly plugged into my Nvidia RTX 4090’s hdmi slot.

In this post I found, this guy also said

“Desktops use whatever GPU the monitor is connected to. Motherboard is iGPU, video card ports, then dedicated GPU. There is no software selection like laptops have.”

Did you try to disable it? I mean… if it didn’t work you could just turn it right back on.

What about updating the Retroarch… did ya try that?

We already know Retroarch is using the Nvidia card, that is not the question. The question is if the other card is causing an issue.