[beetle-psx] Playstation .sbi files with PBP or even multidisc PBP

Does anyone have experience with Playstation game in pbp format + sbi (Subchanneldata) files? Some games need the because they are copyprotected. Im using the core: https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro

Using the sbi files with normal .cue/bin images does indeed work just fine.

Using the same sbi file with pbp does not work, although there seems to be code to load sbi files when using pbp files see: https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/blob/6cfd34ab307d08d5bcde543a95cdcd00f54afec0/mednafen/cdrom-new/CDAccess_PBP.cpp

One line in that sourcecode even mentions multidisc pbp sbi support:

// for multi-disc images change the sbi file syntax to [filename]_[disc_number].sbi instead of [filename].sbi if(PBP_DiscCount > 1) { // use a substitute char here, set the proper one in Read_TOC() sbi_path.insert(sbi_path.length()-4, “_x”); }

Using the Syntax described in that comment did not work for me though. Or i am actually doing something wrong here.

I’ve been using PBP compressed games for some time now, I still use them for multi disc games, but not for single disc games as I’ve found CHD support to save even more space, but multi disc PBPs are much more practical to keep, as they are a single file that keeps all discs inside it.

I’m curious, I know one or two things about sbi files, I read it some weeks ago, but are there specific games that aren’t working for you in PBP? If so, can you tell me which game so I can try it on my end? I tested all multi disc games in my collection in PBP and they work fine, so I can try helping you with this.

1 Like

It is not in particular a problem with pbp itself. Most games do work just fine in pbp but for example if you convert final fantasy 9 (any Pal version will do i guess) it wont boot. That is because it needs either a patch to fix the protection or the correct sbi file. Obviously i would preferr using sbi file since you can download them from redump and not every game out there has a proper anti protection ppf fix available.

It seems as if the .sbi files dont even get loaded/recognised when using pbp files although there seems to be code in the source that indicates that it should work?

Here is a Link to the redump SBI collection: http://redump.org/sbi/psx/

Edit: I’ve just read that sbi protection are for PAL versions only, I’ll download some from this list and try to make it work in PBP so I may be able to help you figuring this out.

I don’t have FFIX PAL version here, but I’d test it for you if I had it ready, I tried the US version though and it loads fine, but I want to help you figuring this out, so I believe all games you are talking about are all PAL versions? Are there any US I can try here? I have a list of multi CD games below, let me know if you want me to try some to make sure it works here.

1 Like

I have Asterix Mega Madness here, which is on the list that needs sbi sub-channel data to work, it locks loading the first stage and I’m picking it to test with the sbi file so I’ll return as soon as I have succeeded.

OK, I managed to get in game now, all I had to do was putting the sbi file in the same directory as the game with the same name like :

• Asterix - Mega Madness (Europe).pbp
  • Asterix - Mega Madness (Europe).sbi

But I’d need to test it in FFIX to make sure it would work in multi disc games.

yeah most of the copy protected games a from PAL region. Final Fantasy 9 German Version for example does not boot anything after the BIOS boot.

When i tried FF9 PAL-G with DISC1 in a single PBP i could not get the game to load even when the sbi file was besides the pbp in the same folder.

Im using Retropie so maybe the sbi need to reside somewhere else? I dont know. But that would contradict the behaviour when i tried the normal bin/cue which worked fine with the sbi residing in the same folder.

Thanke you for your effort aorin1 i really appreciate it

Actually, I just figured I’m actually using CHD files for single disc games, it only worked with the sbi residing in the same directory as the game though, so I end up not helping much since it seems that it’s related to PBP, I don’t believe it has anything to do with the Retropie thing, it’s something that will need to be updated in the mednafen PSX core, probably something really simple to add in the PBP lines.

Sorry I couldn’t help more, you seem to be doing everything alright, so you’ll need to wait for the updated core, is this already notified in Github as an issue for this core?

Thank you for your help though. I guess it is a problem with pbp files. No i have not made an issue in github. Will do that tomorrow.

1 Like

The Problem was located: When using pbp files with sbi files the extension both must be lower or uppercase. Having them mixed will result in the emulator not finding the sbi file since linux systems are casesensitve.

Github issue:

1 Like

Like i said in the github post, i never have problems with “hot-swapping” obligatory games. Like Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Cross and Parasite Eve 1. These games dont have a “save and turn off the console for resume later” option, like the Final Fantasy series or Legend of Dragoon.

The only multidisc game with hot-swapping and SBI file i have is Parasite eve 2 (pal-spanish), and even with sbi files, the game freezes. But i managed to load it, read github for details.

My question: whast is the real difference/adventage for the PBP versus the bin/cue formats for Windows version users? In the bin/cue system, i dont have any problems with hot-swapping games, NTSC vesions without sbi files.

To be honest, i have yet to complete a multigame disc on emulator with sbi files so i dont have any experience in that case.

About your question: For me having my games in pbp format is just for convinience. You dont have like several bin/cue files sitting there and there is compression which savbes some discspace.

Another reason for me was so that i only have one savefile for each game, because if you use seperate images it with create mcr files based on the filename of the loaded bin/cue. Although this could perhaps be some specific behaviour of retropie which im using.

1 Like

Ok, but if you create a m3u playlist file and load the game with it (maybe retropie dont support it, i dont know), you kill two problems at the same time: the memory card is named by the m3u file (not individuals bin or cues), AND let you have a “hot swapping” option.

The disc saving space feature of PBP files is interesting, but i no need it right now. But thanks for the info.