Blastem Core?

It’s using the same mapping as Beetle Saturn, so I was able to copy my input remapping from there. I’m surprised they don’t use the GPGX default map, since that makes a little more sense to me. Though I personally use A on top face button, B on left, C on bottom, Y on right, X on L and Z on R. That gets the primary action buttons for most games under my thumb’s neutral position on the diamond layout, with the third just above it. Then the top row sort of in a line. I’m more concerned with ergonomics than matching the physical layout of the original controller though. And Yu Yu Hakusho Makyou Toitsusen and Contra Hardcorps are the only two six button Gen games I play, which work well with that layout.

If you need a modern 6 button controller, the HORI Fighting Commander is nice. It is used mainly for fighting games, but it works just fine for classic games as well.

2 Likes

These ‘are’ indeed fantastic controllers. I’ve got the X360 and PS3 versions (for 2-player lol)

BUT this controller is doing exactly what I was talking about, it has missing and moved features. Z & C aren’t Z & C, they are RB & RT, while RB & RT are LB & LT, and LB & LT are LSB & RSB, and there’s no analog sticks at all.

It’s a great controller (and there are some awesome sxi button pads from 8bitdo and retro-bit now as well) but there exists no controller that has every standard input. ie an Xbox or Dualshock layout with the added Z&C buttons; so every system (sans keypads) can be properly mapped.

I understand what you mean now. Yes that is a shame, i wish the toggles would let you set the front facing buttons are R3/L3 instead.

I just tried the Blastem core on Linux, and it runs amazingly well ! I could even enable run ahead and a frame delay of 8 !

It doesn’t make up for the extra frame of lag it has vs gen+gx.
I’m not sure if it is in stand-alone as it hasn’t got a “next frame” key.

Hmm yes actually, Run ahead does not seem to work.

Yeah have just tired the Windows release and it says its disabled run ahead when you start the game.

Seems to have 3 frames of delay on Castlevania Bloodlines.

Will run ahead compatibility be added to this core?

Just tried the blastem core and on problem for me is, that the buttom mapping is completely off. While Genesis Plus GX is correctly mapped with the Retro-bit SEGA Mega Drive USB Pad innately, most buttons except the D-Pad are mapped wrong with blastem, making it unusable.

Did you try going to the ‘controls’ menu and saving a core remap?

Can’t change anything, no matter which button i press

oh lol, it doesn’t have the input descriptors hooked up. d’oh!

Anyway, I put in a PR to get it working, so hopefully it’ll get merged soon enough.

3 Likes

Is it normal that this core has no options?

Yes, I think so. It’s still not as fleshed out as it could be. I only added descriptors (i.e., to enable control remapping) fairly recently :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks. I thought something was broken in the recent RA update to 1.7.8 :slight_smile:

The author just fixed the input lag. :+1:

2 Likes

Good stuff. With that fixed there’s mainly the sound quality that could improve. Last time I bugged Mask on Discord about some Sonic SFX sounding a little “dirty” compared to GPGX he said:

Sound differences might just be down to my PSG resampling being janky in the libretro core currently, but I will look into it when I get a chance

I have the latest version of the core and i still seem to have an additional frame of input delay compared to genesis plus.

It still does not work here, just updated.

There’s also the crashing when playing games that use interlaced modes, unless I’ve missed something.