Cannot get OGG Vorbis audio to work

Tried both Genesis Plus GX and PCE Fast, upon loading a game it returns me to the HBC. The setup at least for SEGA CD is the same as the main version of Genplus GX.

I’ve read around that there is support but I can’t test on other platforms to see if I’m doing something wrong or if it doesn’t work on Wii.

I’d really like to bring those +500MB games down to 40-50MB

IDK RA had ogg support…

Can you get it to work on standalone Genplus GX at least? In that, it need to be in a list like this: track.iso, track 2.ogg … track xx.ogg.

Same for PCE CD… Can you get it to work on Mednafen Wii? You must edit the .cue file and replace .mp3 with .ogg in its’ text.

RetroArch v1.0.0.2 doesn’t but the current source should, as the linked post hints support was added around May this year and one of the Android users in that thread was happily using it.

Yes to the first question, I stated this in the op btw. For the second question I haven’t bothered. Both cores kick me back to the HBC; when the expected problem would be missing audio but instead the game doesn’t actually load.

My opinion on this is that it’s not Vorbis support the problem but RA and separated iso/bin files not loading anymore on Wii at least.

To clarify for the second question it does work in WiiMednafen perfectly.

Even though it’s not public yet, I’ll submit this issue just in case.

I found out yesterday that PCE Fast RA 1.0.0.2 core SUPPORTS .ogg files but only in some PCE CD games. I have about 60 PCE CD games, all of them in .cue/.iso/.ogg files. I tested them all with RA.

Here’s a list of working ones with RA:

and here’s a list of NOT working ones with RA (i get thrown back to HBC or Wii hangs):

All 60 work with Mednafen Wii btw.

Interesting, Star Parodia is the only one I have from your working list and it doesn’t work here. Maybe it’s super sensitive to the encoding(?)

Add Space Fantasy Zone to the working list!

Anyway, my music files are .ogg encoded @128 bitrate, stereo. .cue files are like this when opened with txt editor

FILE Track-01.ogg WAVE TRACK 01 AUDIO INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-02.iso BINARY TRACK 02 MODE1/2048 PREGAP 00:03:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-03.ogg WAVE TRACK 03 AUDIO PREGAP 00:02:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-04.ogg WAVE TRACK 04 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-05.ogg WAVE TRACK 05 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-06.ogg WAVE TRACK 06 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-07.ogg WAVE TRACK 07 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-08.ogg WAVE TRACK 08 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-09.ogg WAVE TRACK 09 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-10.ogg WAVE TRACK 10 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-11.ogg WAVE TRACK 11 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-12.ogg WAVE TRACK 12 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-13.ogg WAVE TRACK 13 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-14.ogg WAVE TRACK 14 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-15.ogg WAVE TRACK 15 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-16.ogg WAVE TRACK 16 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-17.ogg WAVE TRACK 17 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-18.ogg WAVE TRACK 18 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-19.ogg WAVE TRACK 19 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-20.ogg WAVE TRACK 20 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-21.ogg WAVE TRACK 21 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-22.ogg WAVE TRACK 22 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-23.ogg WAVE TRACK 23 AUDIO PREGAP 00:00:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00 FILE Track-24.iso BINARY TRACK 24 MODE1/2048 PREGAP 00:03:00 INDEX 01 00:00:00

And each game’s folder is like this: [attachment=0:a5xez08d]untitled.PNG[/attachment:a5xez08d]

I have Castlevania Chi no Rondo, Ys I & II, Ys IV in the iso/wav/cue format and they work fine. in 1.0.0.2 Windows and IOS version :slight_smile:

Good for you, but 1) we are referring to the Wii version and most importantly 2) wav files are very large in size so we are not gaining much in MB trimming versus .iso/.cue, contrary to .ogg which are much smaller in size.

Just in case you are still interested… I have just fixed this issue in the latest nightly version of the mednafen pce-fast core for Wii/NGC. I did as I noticed no one was interested in make it work (the issue has been open for a lot of time). I think the best version of retroarch is the Wii one because you can get the original resolution of the game without trying to emulate its look using shaders… shaders are nice but they have no match for a real CRT :).

NOTE: as RA 1.2 has just poped up I think we will need to wait some time to get a new build, as I think the console release will be next week. But believe me, it will worth the wait as all the games will work just like in WiiMeadnafen!

Many thanks for the fix! I’ve been wanting to use OGG for a long time now and finally have the same setup as the VC and it was such a quick fix too, I originally thought the problem was on the RA side and not the core. I also saw your improvement for gambatte regarding the baked in palettes, very useful.

[QUOTE=SuperrSonic;24580]Many thanks for the fix! I’ve been wanting to use OGG for a long time now and finally have the same setup as the VC and it was such a quick fix too, I originally thought the problem was on the RA side and not the core. I also saw your improvement for gambatte regarding the baked in palettes, very useful.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was a quick fix but it took me some time to figure it out… Debugging for Wii is not easy!! And yes I will focus on making small but useful changes… I was also able to add sixaxis support, resolution option saving and other small features to RA 1.0.0.2 on Wii, As it is the most stable of all. I don’t like the current version, so many bugs for now in the nightlies.

Oh man, if you’ve already done these things, please give us pull requests for your patches so that we can consider integrating them upstream. Radius just spent a number of hours last night trying to get resolution-saving to work, so that would have saved him that time and effort. Sixaxis support sounds great, too.

If you can add the wii u pro controller lib, too, we’d love to merge it.

[QUOTE=hunterk;24624]Oh man, if you’ve already done these things, please give us pull requests for your patches so that we can consider integrating them upstream. Radius just spent a number of hours last night trying to get resolution-saving to work, so that would have saved him that time and effort. Sixaxis support sounds great, too.

If you can add the wii u pro controller lib, too, we’d love to merge it.[/QUOTE]

I would do it, however I did it for version 1.0.0.2, you may remember, hunterk, I asked you about the source code of this version and you suggested me to research the date of release of this one and then check out a commit near this date? I did it and then I applied some fixes to it.

Now, I can do the resolution saving and sixaxis support to the nightly version if you like, I didn’t do it before because it was clear to me that you guys did not wanted to included this feature ever into the Wii version. Glad to hear you changed your mind about this.

I just own a Wii, not yet a Wii U so I’m unable to add the Wii U Pro controller support for now :(.

I added resolution saving and reverting last night…

Anyway it would be cool if you can see if your patch is better and if you can integrate USB his in the current trunk.

Yeah, we purposely left out the resolution-saving, but you guys made it clear that it’s worthwhile. :slight_smile:

If you just send us diffs between the 1.0.0.2 source you worked from and your patched version, we should be able to get it figured out. As for the wii u pro controller, I think it works on regular wii homebrew, as well…?

[QUOTE=hunterk;24629]Yeah, we purposely left out the resolution-saving, but you guys made it clear that it’s worthwhile. :slight_smile:

If you just send us diffs between the 1.0.0.2 source you worked from and your patched version, we should be able to get it figured out. As for the wii u pro controller, I think it works on regular wii homebrew, as well…?[/QUOTE]

Yes!! once I did the resolution saving I just could not believe how something as useful was left out… I guess that you were afraid someone will be setting a weird resolution in the configs and broke RA. However I implemented it by just saving the index of the resolution list already available in the code. So it is restricted to the proven ones :).

I will add the sixaxis support, and regarding the Wii U Pro didn’t know it could be used on regular Wii, I will research on this and if I can get a controller I will give it a try. I have just seen the commits from Radius about the res-saving so I won’t mess with it.

I tried just saving the index and it didn’t work :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway the menu code has changed a lot so you’d have to redo it, in the meantime if you want you can check mine

It’s merged already, even though it’s untested on a real Wii (I only tested in dolphin, don’t have a Wii here) Here is a build: http://bot.libretro.com/.radius/wii-resolution-saving.7z

[QUOTE=Radius;24642]I tried just saving the index and it didn’t work :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway the menu code has changed a lot so you’d have to redo it, in the meantime if you want you can check mine

It’s merged already, even though it’s untested on a real Wii (I only tested in dolphin, don’t have a Wii here) Here is a build: http://bot.libretro.com/.radius/wii-resolution-saving.7z[/QUOTE]

Nice!!, I will give it a try this night and return with you to confirm if it is working on a real Wii… Thanks!

Hmmm I got a Wii, testing with dolphin give me misleading results so I’m back at the drawing board