Core and Feature Requests

BlueMSX remap keys such in the Fuse core. Thanks

Hey there ā€¦ Iā€™m actually quite new into libretro but started to build an Atari ST/E emulation box based on Lakka which in turn uses libretro. Since I was very much into the demoscene there, I wanted to run some old and new demos there. Unfortunately, I figured out that the bundled hatari_libretro is fairly old (v1.8) ā€¦ is there a chance to include the most recent version anytime soon (currently on v2.2) since it contains a much better soundchip emulation and some other significant improvements. I tried it by myself in a very pragmatic way - cloning the current hatari_libretro and replace the source folders with the most recent original github version ā€¦ but failed massively due to a lot of (quite cryptic) compile errors. I also understood, that the bundled Makefile.libretro should be adapted to work against the new libsdl-2 and probably the cmake stuff. But some help or a general answer would help me a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance ā€¦

Hi, please for help. Iā€™m using PlayStation 2 Play! emulator and I want to give you advice on how to set it up so I donā€™t cut the sound? The picture is ok, but the sound cuts horribly, stutters. Can you advise anyone? Thank you all in advance

As commonly known, ā€œLegacy Collectionā€ style releases of classic games are all the rage right now. Unfortunately, these official releases usually just pack some ROMs with lackluster emulation and little in the way of shader or scaling options etc.

What if we could buy these collections legally, but run the included ROMs through Retroarch? The idea would be to manually create and feed some database of these game collection file checksums (in their various update versions), paired with corresponding data of the offsets in which each contained ROM can be found inside the game collection files (usually grouped in a compiled executable). Retroarch would then recognize these files as playable, optionally adding to a playlist or database, ask you to select which ROM you want to run and in what core and just extract the ROM data and run it.

That way, players could legally support these releases (such as Mega Man X Legacy Collection) but run them in the superior Retroarch. There have been various efforts of the community to extract the roms from each of these collections, this feature would just make it easier for players buying these collections to just run it through Retroarch instead of the included emulator without having to extract the files themselves. Also, no file modification or creation would be required, Retroarch would just read the executable or packaged file, find the necessary data and run it accordingly. It would be no different from buying the game and running it through a mod launcher application for example.

4 Likes

I would like to see the NeoGeoCD Core have a Option for Overclocking like that is on the FBNeo Core when playing Neo Geo CD Games on it

1 Like

This is a nice idea. Actually, in SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics on Steam, the ROMs are stored in plain sight in game files, and can be used in an external emulator.

1 Like

Iā€™m so excited whenever I see Basilisk II mentioned here. I love 68k Macs so much.

Iā€™ve been following the commits on GitHub, but they are a bit beyond my level. How far off does that seem to be?

A few things Iā€™d like to see in the future:

1. A way to auto-hide empty playlists. If anything returns the result ā€œNo Playlist Entries Availableā€ just hide it, I guess? Why am I being forced to deal with an ugly black square in the XMB? When content is actually in the lpl file, by all means, show me lol. This would help me kinda pull off 2 playlist directories at once via symlinking. Right now, I can set the playlists directory to default then point to pre-curated lpls burned to a disc with a symlink. I can continue having lpl files in the root directory with the idea of gaming without the extra discs, but the empty symlinks still show up.

2. Let me choose what settings/features to hide in Kiosk mode. Right now, it just turns off a lot of stuff a normal user would still need access to. Import Content, sound settings, password settingsā€¦ I donā€™t want these disabled, but I still want to lock down the OS in some places. A custom kiosk mode would be amazing.

1 Like

Hey guys. Iā€™ve been avoiding CD based cores like Mednafen PSX, Mednafen Saturn and Opera because of the huge file sizes required in the past for CD based games, but then I dipped my toes in the water once I noticed that these cores all feature CHD support now, which is a huge gamechanger so thanks for that!

I have a couple request regarding CD based cores. Could you guys please add CHD support to every CD based core including cores that donā€™t have CD based consoles software use? Cores such as PUAE that support CDTV and CD32 games could use CHD compression if feasible. The same goes with PicoDrive for Sega CD games.

Also, is there a way you can add disc control options to Genesis Plus GX, Opera, PUAE and other CD-based cores? Multi-disc games arenā€™t that common and I appreciate the support for this option in the Mednafen cores, but Iā€™d love to be able to use it for the other two cores I mentioned. I understand that it might be a chore to implement due to it maybe not being natively functional in those emulators, but I just wanted to give my feedback on how you can improve those cores in the long-run.

Thanks for listening guys! Retroarch is amazing. Love your dedication.

Is there any chance that we can get the melonDS fork that emulates DSiWare? I mostly do my emulating on Android, through Retroarch, and I know the current MelonDS core doesnā€™t support DSi games, but the stand-alone version from the MelonDS website does.

Thereā€™s an updated fork in the works but no ETA for it.

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I want to ask if there will ever be a kernel for PSX games on the PS2? I want to upload RetroArch to PS2 and play via PS games on PSX. Thank you

Is it possible to also include a gap option for the melonDS core? That be great.

2 Likes

Currently I am thinking about HD Audio replacement. Many emulators feature a HD texture replacement. So why not do the same with audio. Similar to the msu feature of higan, a hd audio option for megadrive, n64, ps1, dreamcast would be awesome.

1 Like

I attach myself to @OrphanedPixel request from '17 - ā€œā€¦ would like to see Potator, the first Watara Supervision emulator for Windows, as a RetroArch core because it emulates the Watara Supervision better than MESS (as far as Iā€™ve heard) and I donā€™t feel like screwing with MESS anyway because itā€™s a confusing mess (pun not intended) of an emulator. Here is the GitHub link: https://github.com/alekmaul/potatorā€

1 Like

I do get perfect even scanlines when using integer scale. However, when I play another console, letā€™s say I go from snes to Ps1, I sometimes have to turn off integer, and then on to make the scanlines even again. What about a feature that do that automaticly once you push play? (if they are on from start)

Iā€™d love to see more support for .m3u files. They do wonders for Saturn, PlayStation, and Dreamcast - would be great to see them eventually supported in cores like 4DO, PicoDrive, GensPlusGX and the like.

Honestly though, every update pushed out is fantastic. Keep up the great work everyone!

1 Like

It would be great to be able to generate ,m3u files from the playlist.

It would be great to see more support for generating and adding thumbnails from the screenshots (start screen), adding cover images, uploading all these things to the repo. Generation could happen automatically while playing games (random screenshot, start screen, maybe a short film), and the cover image could be downloaded from wikipedia or other places ā€¦

What about cloud saves, like ScummVM does?

Add support for more formats than .png.

A frontend mode like Hyperspin to support wheel images or preview videos.

1 Like