Core and Feature Requests

How about a way to remove cores from inside RA instead of having to open the core folder and delete them manually?

How about a way to remove cores from inside RA instead of having to open the core folder and delete them manually?

Also, an option to check for updates to cores that have already been downloaded.

guicrith: how do you feel about the lack of microphone-button support for the FDS?

(edit: there would also be the inaccurate NES sounds, but this one sounds like a longstanding bit of nagging ā€“ since 2013)

gamepad detection for cores to detect whether or not controllers are really unplugged so that the unplugged game screens can come up.

snes n64 psx

mostly

@McSwingles Have you tried going into settings > input > player * binds and changing the device to ā€˜noneā€™?

Why? What Iā€™m asking is for those 3 cores to look at windows to see if itā€™s really plugged in regardless of what retroarch says so we can get to see stuff like this:

And for psx, half the games autopause and/or give special messages or just messages telling you that your controller is unplugged. This isnā€™t needed for the other cores. Maybe for the future cores. But it isnā€™t need for other cores because nothing happens on those real consoles when one is unplugged. Going for the geniune feel here. As of now, every core does nothing during this time. thatā€™s why half of my psx games I play on retroarch and the other half still on epsxe because one set does nothing during this time, and the other set does do things.

And for all the cores that you donā€™t need this for, you could actually add a retroarch only feature where if one is unplugged that normally wouldnā€™t do anything, it would automatically press start when one is disconnected. Sure, pressing the system button would do that by going to the retroarch menu, but what about those ppl who have that menu disabled so third party ppl wouldnt go in those menus and mess a config up? Know what I mean Vern?

1 Like

@radius: yes, Iā€™m sure explaining what I meant about a certain feature, which is what this thread is aboutā€¦features, is derailing itā€¦ are you saying that setting it to none will have the controller still work? is that what youā€™re saying? because all I hear is trying to start a fight instead of explaining yourself like a human being. donā€™t got time for your nerd arguments. Go ahead on back to pcsx2 forums for that trolling bs. I requested a simple thing, stop attacking me, because it is you who is derailing a thread when you come at someone with some ol bs. Otherwise, you should stay out of convos you arenā€™t involved in if no one is talking to you. That is, if you WANT to prevent problems. But knowing you. Problems are very much what you want.

And since I got a dumb response from somebody I wasnā€™t even talking to, since you want to speak, answer this: If it is changed in the ini, does it actively read the ini to make the change occur instantly after you change it in the ini? This is so I can use ahk to achieve this myself so I wont have you following me talking trash everywhere I go from now on. Can you answer that? Nope, you probably wonā€™t. Youll probably just say nothing now. Oh but you wanted to be soooo helpful though.

ā€œRead the OP again. He made a thread about core requests. This would need support on both ends of the API.ā€ How would a user know that a core would not be able to do this? You didnā€™t care, you just wanted to flame somebody.

Thanks for the infraction of you being an ass. ā€œAnd the thread has officially de-railed now.ā€ ā€”> YOU. Learn how to talk to ppl and stop being a jackass. You intended to be nothing but by your words.

" There is no need to be insulting either." Speak for yourself for it was you who wanted to be that way.

ā€œAnd Iā€™m not giving ā€œnerd argumentsā€ I actually know the codebase and I was ā€œexplaining like a human beingā€ why this isnā€™t possible. You could yank the cord, cut it, destroy the pad, whatever. That wonā€™t cause RetroArch to forward a ā€œcontroller is disconnectedā€ message to the core since the RetroPad is always active since itā€™s also used as a controller for the menu (via kbd, overlay, mice, or network sockets).ā€

This is what you could have said the first time instead of being what you were. Yet you still didnā€™t answer the question that would speed everything up a keep from ā€˜derailing the thread like you ever so wantedā€™. Does the program read the ini instantly or what so that I can do it my self?

.CFGs you knew what i meant, but yet you still want to continue to be an assā€¦

@hunterk, if referring to the retroarch control area and not the core, when I shut the controller off, it auto switches to none so I dont think thatā€™ll do it. But what about the auto pause thing then? Does that work the same way or would that be easier to tell retroarch that if it reads as ā€˜noneā€™ to press the start button (since itā€™s being read as always connected)?

Hmm, not sure. Can you name some games that should have these behaviors?

Well as far as that goes, that would be a unique feature only to retroarch for every core. I donā€™t know if the program (retroarch) can still press buttons programmatically when the controller isnā€™t in but I just thought Iā€™d ask. Most of the games that use it, just press the start button. But some games like that n64 link, display special messages. But some real games that just press the start button when the controller isnā€™t in include (psx) Bomberman - Party Edition, Bust a move 99, chocobo racing, gekido urban fighters, legend of mana, nba jam extreme, parasite eve II, resident evil survivor, xenogears, xmen vs sf, etc. Those are just a few.

But if buttons can still be pressed programatically, this feature is best suited for the cores so a user could use it along with the per game/core settings feature.

EDIT -Also, as far as other cores, Iā€™d like to see a rumble boost for psx up to 200% as an option. Current rumble is a bit weak compared to epsxe with pokopom input plugin.

-up to 6xbrz for the psx core (because itā€™s better for 3D games with stretched textures. 2D can still use scalefx for performance)

-Nintendo DS rumble pak support

One feature that would be useful is proper .dsk support for BlueMSX. As it is now, 95% of the library post MSX 1 is not available due to it being disk games (SD Snatcher, Xak, etc). Also support for the various audio cartridges that the disk games made use of such as Konamiā€™s SCC+

1 Like

Iā€™d like dsk support too.

For the particular cartdriges I could make an entry in RetroArch\system\Databases\msxromdb.xml like this at the end:

<software>
	<title xml:lang="en">Aleste 2 (rom conversion)</title>
	 <system>MSX</system>
	<company>Compile</company>
	<year>1989</year>
	<country>JP</country>
	<dump>
	<original value="false" />
		<megarom>
			<type>KonamiSCC</type>
			<hash algo="sha1">e93d0840c59c6eba273df546d22148d486a150a6</hash>
		</megarom>
	</dump>
</software>

You need to check the hash of your rom.

Or just add/edit the ā€œmegaromā€ part if the game is already in the list.

1 Like

please add support for cue sheets with wav or any compress audio tracks(ogg, mp3, or probably ape), so we can save a bit of storage space from cores requiring disk images with majority of space used as redbook audio tracks, its also easier to play modded or translated games this way(which patches usually requires 2048 format)

Ehā€¦ Genesis Plus GX and Mednafen cores already have this feature, it works at least with wav and ogg. Check your .cue file. An example of Sega CD cue with ogg files (itā€™s a .cue piece actually):

CATALOG 0000000000000
FILE "Sonic The Hedgehog CD (Japan) (Track 01).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "Sonic The Hedgehog CD (Japan) (Track 02).ogg" OGG
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "Sonic The Hedgehog CD (Japan) (Track 03).ogg" OGG
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:01:74

External WAV are still crashing Retroarch on the mednafen PCE cores. OGG are fine.

1 Like

Hello

Iā€™ve always been a fan of Nestopia on Win32, especially for 4 player game support. When I found out that Nestopia was one of the many NES cores available for Retroarch, I jumped on it. The 4 player support works great for most games (mostly NTSC/Four Score supported games), but not Famicom 4 player adapter games. The Win32 emulator has an option to auto detect if a game is NTSC or Famicom by checking up itā€™s CRC information, but most of the time it doesnā€™t do the best job in detecting it correctly, but luckily the emulator does give the option to manually choose one or the other and setā€™s the adapter. Hereā€™s an image below showcasing it. This is Nestopia 1.47 Win 32.

I tried looking to see if there was an option for this the Nestopia core, but sadly there wasnā€™t. I had downloaded the source code for the Nestopia core and tried to implement it myself with the source code from the Nestopia Win32. Iā€™m a little rusty with my coding, so I didnā€™t get too far. I just added an option within the coreā€™s option menu to switch 4 player adapterā€™s similar to the Win32 application as seen below

Would it be too difficult to implement the code into the Nestopia core? Thank you for your hard work btw, and sorry for the lengthy post LOL

All the best!

Yes, this is kind of serious issue since Half of my collections are not playable through retroarch. Also, 75% of Old Japanese computer Disk or Casettes are not playable at this moment. Please fix this ASAP:

PC-Engine CD-ROM, MSX1+2, MSX Turbo R, X68000, FM TOWNS Full support Please!

WTF. Do you think this is top-priority?