Core and Feature Requests

Is it possible to use retroarch through openloader?

Texture injection and dumping for snes or gba or ps1

1 Like

This is not possible because you cant know what format the data is in until it hits the background or sprite slots.(could be native, compressed, 8-bit vga mapped)

Just tested again. FCEumm is NOT broken with smb1 death sound. It is only distorted when overclock is enabled.

1 Like

Redump

Multiple *.bin files that you have to rebuild or audio tracks seperated from the image to conserve space.

Trurip

Pure 1:1 copy. Bin/cue or ccd/img

Okay. Thanks for letting us know. I agree that it would be best to stick with one core over the other, but you are the judge concerning which one. My only concern is accuracy (as per the tests from the hunterk link), but I am not sure that there are downsides, in the practical world, coming from an imperfect score on e.g. the apu.

And isn’t it better to have separated tracks? So you can convert to OGG and save some space (mainly for Sega CD and PC Engine CD).

Sonic The Hedgehog CD (Japan): 583 MB --> 179 MB (using 160 KBit/s) Lunar - The Silver Star (USA) (RE): 499 MB --> 48 MB Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo (Japan) (FABT, FACT): 520 MB --> 98 MB

Btw, I can’t find Trurip databases. Isn’t redump a more reliable database for disks?

Do you still have bugs with FCEUmm?

Is analog control planned to be implemented in the Mednafen Saturn core for the 1.5.0 stable release?

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Redump personally (the debate on offsets, subcodes, read errors, single or split image etc… is way over my head) and if anything I prefer its naming convention. It’s just that some games are not available in Redump format (Flink, Flashback) and vice versa…

It was more a ‘why can’ t we have both’ suggestion from a player point of view rather than “one is better than the other.”

Now I also understand trurip is a rather secretive project (tools and dats are not public) and I could totally see that as a reason not to support the format within the greater Libretro/RetroArch philosophy.

I have no machine to run cores on, but the page over at tasvideos looked scary with the ‘failed tests’. But I guess that in the concrete world, there are no bugs to be encountered with the popular games – so no, I have no bugs with, nor something against, FCEUmm!

Hello!! Actually, the bsnes and bsnes Mercury cores don’t support cheats (RetroArch crashes when I try to apply a loaded *.cht for a specific game). Please, fix or implement the support of cheats for that cores (Game Genie mainly).

Thanks!!!

1 Like

In regards to the NES cores (FCEUMM, Nestopia, any of them), would it be possible to add a button map for A + B simultaneously? Trying to play certain games on my android phone when pressing A+B at the same time is required to jump makes it difficult on the touch screen, having to using 2 fingers to press both buttons. Maybe a single button map, or maybe an in between button press that counts as pressing both buttons?

Thanks

It’s easy to add an overlay button that hits both at the same time. Much easier than adding it to the core itself.

Nice, never knew that. How can I add overlay buttons? I just know how to change overlays, and that’s it. lol

To add a button to an existing overlay, just make a button icon in png format and drop it into the directory with the others (or, even easier: just reuse an existing one), increment the number of descs for the overlay (e.g., overlay0_descs = 19 would become overlay0_descs = 20), and then copy/paste the lines corresponding to one of the buttons you want to press (A or B) at the end of the list and change the desc numbers to match. Then, where it says “a,0.whatever,0.whatever,radial,0.whatever,0.whatever”, change the ‘a’ to ‘a|b’ (you can look at the dpad diagonals to see how it should look). Change the first 2 numbers to move the button’s centerpoint to a new location (somewhere close, presumably).

Another option is to just modify an existing overlay with more buttons (e.g., SNES overlay) and change the Y button to A|B.

1 Like

Thanks man. I went into the cfg for the nes overlay to see how it looks, and your description helps a lot. Greatly appreciate it

Edit: So I could edit the nes.cfg file on windows and just copy it over to my android phone and it would work?

It should work, yeah.

The flat overlays already do that, I think almost all overlays there have a hidden combo button, see Flat gamepad overlays

You’ll have a hidden A+B between A and B butons in gamepads/flat/nes.cfg

Edit: actually it doesn’t have it yet, I’ll add it.

Thank you. I actually managed to add my own thanks to hunterk’s post, but that would be great for others to benefit too, cause it’s a real game changer.