Core and Feature Requests

This would be a bug, and it belongs here https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fceumm/issues

1 Like

Config option to set the filename extension of the SRAM interface. Currently is is .srm as commonly used by snes emulators. Having a config option to set this to anything would be useful for save compatibly with other programs the use other extensions.

Cheats in Megadrive, NES, and SNES cores would be awesome.

This is set by RetroArch not the emulator, the emulator provides a ram dump and RetroArch handles all file io and nameing.

Yeah I know this Iā€™m talking about a RetroArch feature.

Bump!

how do you feel about both these issues, guicrith?

Besides, would you be interested in some income concerning this? (I have a job now and didnā€™t have one before, so I could offer some amount in return for bug fixing. Please keep in mind though that I am far from being a millionnaire.)

1 Like

Sure, but you must understand that I am not for sale, your request will be put in the list just like everyone elseā€™s that meet the requirements and will receive equal priority.

2 Likes

All right with me. I will be checking the list once in a while for updates, then!

Thanks in advance, twipley

Does libretro-fceumm have those issues?

I am no expert, but I believe that it has a better audio module and therefore does not suffer from the inaccurate-sound problem.

On the other hand, if I remember correctly it shares the lack of a microphone button.

I was uncomfortable to go with fceumm since screenshot comparisons on my part revealed that there is less data shown on the left and right sides, as compared with Nestopia. I have read the popular threads on aspect ratios ā€“ many times over the years ā€“ but I did not grasp much.

To my mind the ā€˜authenticā€™ experience is the nostalgic 4:3 output that people were used to back in the days, and I simply tend to trust that Nestopia has it better in this respect than fceumm, which is quite far from that 4:3.

EDIT: this applies to the default settings for both cores, which I tend to trust and would fear to fiddle with.

Use FCEUmm and set ā€œcrop overscan = false and preferred aspect ratio = 4:3ā€

I can try to fix the microphone button in FCEUmm.

I wont support nestopia since FCEUmm is more accurate while still running fullspeed on everything.(I think picking one core per console is best when possible.)

http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html

Nothing wrong with settling on FCEUmm instead of Nestopia but if itā€™s because of accuracy, youā€™re barking up the wrong tree.

I dont see FCEUmm on there, do you mean FCEUX(old/new ppu?)?

Yeah, FCEUX, Mednafen and FCEUmm are all very similar. I havenā€™t seen or heard of any major divergences in FCEUmm that would significantly impact its accuracy vs FCEUX in either direction.

Iā€™m not sure if I was on track with the ā€˜more-accurate audio moduleā€™ claim, concerning FCEUmm. It might have been the reverseā€¦

QUOTE from https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/4870/why-no-nestopia-respect/18: I tried them both now, and nestopia definitely has the better audio emulation. Mario 1 dying sounds so inaccurate in fceumm. In the past, nestopia had this strange sound bug every now and then but I no longer hear it.

Your right the ringing at the end of the death sounds are missing in FCEUmm.

I will support nestopia because of this for now.

2 Likes

Good idea. And if it meets the requirements, there would therefore also be the need for a solving of the ā€˜incompatibilityā€™ bug between RetroArch and Nestopia where the core and Libretro do not agree on how to process e.g. the sliding sound in SMB3. (This is, at least, my layman understanding of the issue.)

But of course you probably remembered that. Enough said from my part; sinking back into the background of common life!

hi guicrith,

Thank you for this thread, your efforts and your time.

Do you think it would be possible to add ccd/img support to Genesis Plus GX? BizHawk seem to have added support for this (though I donā€™t know if it is in the BizHawk part of the emulator or the Gen core itself). The reason for this would be to support the trurip format.

1 Like

I noticed that when you switch to either OpenGL or Vulkan Mednafen PSX HW will ignore the ā€œcorrectā€ aspect ratio that is normally forced by the game. This is most noticeable in PAL games. I am wondering if it was possible to also do that in software mode, and if not, would it be possible to add?

I also noticed that a similar feature was added to Mednafen Saturn called ā€œss.correct_aspectā€

https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/ss.html#ss.correct_aspect

Whatā€™s the problem using redump format?