CPU overclock on bsnes_libretro

I wanted to use the new (one year old though) overclocking feature of bsnes so I tried a few cores and all of them gave me different problems but I will stick here to bsnes which is the one I know most.

I plan to use it on SA1 and SuperFX chip games, for that purpose I downloaded bsnes_libretro for which I couldn’t find an entry in libretro docs. Testing on Dragon Ball Hyper Dimension what I get is crackling audio and stutter or tiny freezes and when entering into the GUI (I have transparent GUI background) the sprites flicker in colors. This is the same even if I lower the CPU and SA1 OC to 110%.

It looks like this core is shady, no docs, no github(?). Has someone made it work?

There’s a github repo at https://github.com/libretro/bsnes, but it’s just a mirror of upstream, which is https://github.com/byuu/bsnes, IIRC. EDIT: repo is at https://github.com/bsnes-emu/bsnes now. I’ll need to change our stuff to match…

It’s a fairly recent core, and the guys who were working on most of the docs took a break before it debuted.

The overlocking should be pretty stable, but it increases hardware requirements a lot, I think. This is the first I’ve heard of the color flickering with OC, but it used to do it all the time. I’m not sure why the OC would bring it back, but we can look into it.

1 Like

The build is from one month ago but didn’t have time to ask until now, will try to redownload and see with other games. EDIT: looks like it’s the same build - no updates.

Is bsnes_libretro comparable to higan (in accuracy)? I know there’s HD mode and all but I will disable everything except for OC. I’m not sure what CPU requiriments it would need, I bought an 4790K last year for my board, it was TOL until not very long ago.

Just in case, I post my core settings, bsnes_mercury settings might also be in there since they share the same prefix:

bsnes_aspect_ratio = "Auto"
bsnes_blur_emulation = "OFF"
bsnes_chip_hle = "LLE"
bsnes_coprocessor_delayed_sync = "ON"
bsnes_coprocessor_prefer_hle = "ON"
bsnes_cpu_fastmath = "OFF"
bsnes_cpu_overclock = "200"
bsnes_crop_overscan = "disabled"
bsnes_dsp_cubic = "ON"
bsnes_dsp_echo_shadow = "OFF"
bsnes_dsp_fast = "OFF"
bsnes_entropy = "Low"
bsnes_gamma_ramp = "disabled"
bsnes_hotfixes = "ON"
bsnes_mode7_mosaic = "OFF"
bsnes_mode7_perspective = "OFF"
bsnes_mode7_scale = "1x"
bsnes_mode7_supersample = "OFF"
bsnes_ppu_deinterlace = "ON"
bsnes_ppu_fast = "ON"
bsnes_ppu_no_sprite_limit = "ON"
bsnes_ppu_no_vram_blocking = "OFF"
bsnes_ppu_show_overscan = "OFF"
bsnes_region = "auto"
bsnes_run_ahead_frames = "OFF"
bsnes_sa1_overclock = "150"
bsnes_sfx_overclock = "200"
bsnes_sgb_bios = "SGB1.sfc"
bsnes_superfx_overclock = "100%"
bsnes_violate_accuracy = "disabled"

It can be made to have the same accuracy as higan via core options, yes. It makes it very slow like higan, too, though :stuck_out_tongue:

What settings would be very demanding to make it like higan? I can’t find a guide what all settings do.

PPU Fast Mode, DSP Fast Mode and Prefer Coprocessor HLE all OFF. I’m not sure if anything else needs to be twiddled, but those should get you most of the way, AFAIK.

2 Likes