CRT SwitchRes not working unless desktop is progressive

Hi all, I’m hoping to get some help on getting SwitchRes to do its thing properly with an interlaced desktop set to 640x480.

I’ve been chiming in on other threads here and here on SwitchRes, it’s an awesome feature that should really get more attention.

For some reason, I can’t get it to work properly unless my desktop is set to a progressive resolution, anything other than 320x240p or 2560x240p gives me interlacing in RetroArch. The real trouble is LaunchBox Big Box looks barely legible at 320x240p and having a super resolution desktop would make it unusable with the stretching.

I’m using all the recommended super resolutions in the documentation + the Groovymame modelines (120 in all). My settings are SwitchRes 2560 with Integer Scaling set to ‘On’. I’ve tried fiddling with these and other Video settings (e.g. changing video drivers) with no luck.

Any ideas what to do? I’ve seen other users post here with the same issues. It seems like this is a fundamental bug with SwitchRes.

I’m happy to help document/diagnose anything to help other folks out there with the same issue, thanks!

Bumpity bump bump? @alphanu :slight_smile:

Same here…If my desktop is interlaced, switchres will work once to the correct progressive…

If I try another game without quitting RA I get an interlaced picture too.

I want an interlaced desktop because I run a front end on my CRT and the box art looks like crap on progressive and yes the text is eligible.

Yep same here. It’s hardly an improvement over not using switchres without being able to jump in from 448i on windows. It’s weird though retroarch’s gui has no problem switching from 448i to 240p, but as soon as I load a game it squishes it up into the upper right corner. Loading retroarch from 240p doesn’t show this problem

so which version of retroarch are you all using? Unfortunately @Alphanu is not active anymore, he merged the retroarch source for the last time in his own fork MME4CRT in january of this year, see https://github.com/alphanu1/MME4CRT. This is the version I’m still using. There was a time when all his changes would end up in Retroarchs own codebase, It would be great if that would happen because then we would not be stuck with alphanu’s version. Perhaps a new bounty for someone to further develop MME4CRT (a.k.a. CRTSwitchRes) would be an idea? Although I think it is great (understatement), it could still see improvement. For example, I still have a lot of screen flickering going on when switching between resolutions. Also, I think decent documentation is lacking. Alphanu has said that CRTSwitchRes only works well up until a certain 4.x kernel, but why exactly I don’t know. Also, it is said that some distro’s are better than others. Why? Which settings must be tweaked to get the best result? Must vsync be turned on or off? Et cetera.

MME4CRT is evolving. It is not DEAD. I cannot give a time line on the new project completion date. There are many other life events happening including family, work and studying that will change the pace of this project. However, I’ll give you a teaser…

Imagine running RetroArch on any device. Imagine you don’t have to setup any environment. All you need is a small USB device. No configuration required.

MME4CRT USB frame buffer.

https://mme4crt.alphanudesign.co.uk/

Neat! I look forward to checking it out :slight_smile: