Custom configs messed up after latest updates

Something is wrong after the latest updates, I have some games that uses custom resolution/ratio and some other custom configs, first the custom resolution width and height are messed up now, and if I try to fix it and save a new custom resolution RA says the new config was created/updated but it just reverts back to the messed up resolution/ratio that was otherwise correct.

I’ve been having the same problems since 1.6…

I like to set custom viewports for each core. When I ‘save core override’, it defaults back to a 960x720 resolution, and says ‘core override successfully saved’

If I open the .cfg that’s created, it’s not writing the 'custom_viewport_x" “custom_viewport_y”. I can manually enter the 2 lines and it’ll then work fine, but if I I go back and save core override in the menu, it deletes those 2 lines and reverts back to the default resolution/viewport.

I’f i revert back to 1.5, it doesn’t behave this way.

Yeah @Rick74, it’s clearly an issue with the latest builds, same things happening to you, me and anyone that try setting custom view-ports. It’s probably better to revert back to 1.5 for now until it’s solved.

I have been using Mame4droid on my shield tv. Has it been fixed? There’s a lot of work in moving back to retroarch.

you tell us. test it and find out. as far as we can tell, it’s fixed, but external verification is always nice.

I would if I wasn’t scraping over 33,000 mame roms right now in arc browser. All of I own of course. :grin:

I just tested it and it’s working fine now, thanks for fixing it so fast!

1 Like

Tried all these resolutions, still nothing. Hopefully this fixes soon

I having exactly this problem after updating from 1.5 to 1.8.2 just made a post here with complete details. Have this been solved?

https://forums.libretro.com/t/upgrading-from-ra-1-5-to-1-8-2-existing-config-issues-or-bug-in-ra/25748

While many of the config options are still valid after 2 yrs, there are likely some that aren’t, and those are probably what’s causing your issue. You’d be best off starting with a fresh config, I think.

What is the reason some will not be valid how can we avoid this? Since RA is a multi systems emulator once the configs/shaders/overlays been set it is very difficult to redo all over again since we have many many systems using RA in Hyperspin setup. Do I need to update all cores or use the old one with new RA + old configs?

The program has changed a lot in 2 yrs, with many new features and many old features revised to have more functionality or to work in a way that is more useful or user-friendly.

You can still use old cores with new RetroArch (some new cores won’t play nicely with old RetroArch, but many will), but I recommend updating anyway. The cores have also received many updates in 2 yrs.

Thank you hunterk. I will keep a backup of old and redo new version setup from scratch system by system. By the way do I still need to rename config files to system names as per Rocketlauncher setup for them to work with my settings in RA per systems? Or there is something new which I do not know and can save time of renaming?

Hmm, I’m trying to recall what we did that far back… Did you set your system up with an individual config file for each core and then point to that config file with the -c switch in your launcher? If so, it’s usually easier now to have one global config with most of your options and then use config overrides that just contain the handful of options you want to change per core.

Yes mate I have been using individual configs per system/core and I use rocketlauncher with setting inside under emulator RA Global module which I have pointed to RA/Config folder when launching that system.

Example if I have Nintendo Game Boy setup in RA /Shaders/Input I have saved as a new config previously and than renaming the config name to Nintendo Game Boy so that Rocketlauncher can send correct commands to RA to use which config file and it loads perfectly until ver 1.5.

That should still work for the most part. The only thing I can think of that won’t is the shader, which isn’t set in the cfg anymore. You can now declare a shader from the command line, though, with --set-shader /path/to/preset

I have no experience in how to use commands in RA. Do I have another option for shaders so that RA/RL can load my shaders accurately and rememeber them?

Maybe that is the reason new updates of RA above 1.7.6 or 1.7.7 is not saving my shader setting in config folder even though Rocketlauncher was point to config folder.

I don’t know anything about Rocket Launcher, specifically, but launchers typically work by invoking CLI commands to launch the programs with a series of arguments that integrate pre-defined variables (like %rom% to mean “the game you select from the fancy menu” etc.). That’s where you would typically do the -c /path/to/config.cfg. Just add in the shader argument in that same place.

I got your point now. Before I just point to config in RL and all done, but now I will need to point to shader preset as well for individual system to work in new updates. Thank you so much for your time.

Did anyone made a list of shaders/core for individual systems which emulate close to real hardwares?