Upgrading from RA 1.5 to 1.8.2 (Existing Config Issues or Bug in RA?)

Happy New Year Friends.:wink:

Been a while using RA 1.5 so I thought is time to do some updates on emulator Jump started with RA stable build 1.8.2 (non installed pack 64bit) .

System : Win7 Pro

These are the steps I did to upgrade

1. Renamed my existing Retroarch folder
  2. Created new folder with same name as my existing RA folder
  3. Unpacked the new version (Tried both full download of Retroarch 200mb and also just retroarch.exe update package about 30mb
  4. Transferred files from my Config folder + retroarch.cfg + retroarch.core.cfg to new version
  5. Tested systems like (Nintendo Game Boy , Nintendo Game Boy Color , etc) , Result : RA build shaders are gone not same as what I set before.
  6. Redo the shader setting again saved configurations. Relaunched the game from Rocketlauncher and also outside & pity back without shaders again.
  7. Checked my folder policies are read/write permit. Do not understand why RA is not saving my settings.

I use hyperspin + rocketlauncher so all my Config files was renamed to system name as usual. I did not change anything. RA 1.5 works smoothly.

Yesterday I tried other versions below 1.8.2 and find out that 1.7.7 by just replacing RA.exe it works for some systems with old configs.

Is there a bug in RA above 1.7.7 ?

Anything important thing I missed above or did wrong which messed up my new RA?

Please give your valuable comments thank you so much my friends.

1 Like

Someone made a good tutorial about this in YouTube and it seems to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os6txWGIWUQ

1 Like

Global, per core, per content dir and per game shader presets aren’t saved in the .cfg files anymore. They are saved in shaders/presets. You can set them really easily via the Quick Menu, Shaders, Save menu after loading content in a core.

Since I am using Rocketlauncher with RA after I set NES / Inputs / Shaders / Overlays do I need to save preset or save core override something like this or just save the config on exit and that is?

Just save the preset in the Shaders, Save menu.

1 Like

I have now installed 1.8.2 again and started to test one system with fresh settings. I have loaded GB system and saved the shader as preset with name Nintendo Game Boy.cfg.

Inside Rocketlauncher I have pointed shader setting to above preset and also point to config file. But when I launch the game it wont load any of my presets nor configs. I have attached screen of module setting in RL

.1 2

Saving a global or per core/game/directory preset creates a slangp/glslp/cgp file in RetroArch/shaders/presets. If you don’t change any shader parameters, that file just points to whatever shader you set to use globally or per whatever. It sounds like you are trying to save them in a standard config, which doesn’t work anymore.

If you want to specify which shader to use from RocketLauncher, you can use the command line switch hunterk mentioned in the other topic.

Hi Thanks for so much information. I have now saved the shader as core preset and RA have created new folder with gambatte.cgp inside. I have edited my Rocketlauncher module and pointed the shader setting to gambatte.cgp and now it works. What I am worry is what if more then 1 system use Gambatte core, how will I have to do? Or I can save as another name and they will not conflict with each other?

You can save it as a directory override with a name like Nintendo Gameboy Color.cgp in the presets/Gambatte folder and it will auto load that shader when you load a game from a Nintendo Gameboy Color folder, for example.

If I save as directory override under shader preset it will save as a game name. Only works with that game and if renamed to system name it wont load at all. Am I doing something wrong?