DeSmuME hardware acceleration?


#1

Are there any plans to get the DeSmuME core to use hardware acceleration like the standalone client does? The LibRETRO core makes using DeSmuME much more enjoyable experience but its excruciatingly slow at anything higher than native resolution. The stand alone client is much, much faster, but has poor full screen support and you have to have an external program map the analog to stylus (and deal with the additional latency).


#2

It does have opengl acceleration and it’s up to date to upstream.


#3

I get a solid 60 FPS on the stand alone client and I struggle to get 35-45 FPS on the libretro core.

I will do more research and try and see what could be different between the two. The latest information that I could find says that the libretro core only has the SoftRasterizer for DeSmuME, so I assumed that this was still the case.


#4

Try to change the core options. The renderer should be opengl. Upscaling uses a lot of resources.


#5

I think I found the issue. Still trying it out; but at first glance it looks like the renderer is setup/labeled differently than I have seen it in any other emulator in RetroArch. It does not have a “renderer” option (where you can select hardware/software/opengl/etc…) instead it has a “OpenGL Rasterizer <on/off>” option that appears to be the hardware acceleration option.


#6

It’s not exactly the same as other emulators in RetroArch. It uses OpenGL to rasterize the 3D, but doesn’t use a completely OpenGL pipeline. The 3D elements are read back and combined with the 2D elements in software.


#7

Not sure if it still helps you but for me changing the Video Driver in RetroArch to “vulcan” solved the problem completely.


#8

Its been quite awhile since I made this topic, but the Vulcan driver in RetroArch is not very stable in my experience.