Development Suggestions

Please Add a function to remap multi button in one button. example : button A+B+C in L1, B+C+D in L2. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I have an idea for Android, possibly iOS too.

We already know from media players that they create a notification with controls in the notification bar when active.

Something like this would be a welcome improvement for RetroArch. The number of buttons on a hardware-gampad is limited and editing overlays for own actions is in the current state nothing for beginners or to do quickly in between. If you could instead define a certain number of buttons with custom actions for the notification (for me that would be for example: AI Service, Save, Load, Menu), you would still have room to maneuver if the joypad has too few buttons or you want to avoid editing overlays.

Thanks!

Please, why do not add an internal file manager to copy files to and from the media Lakka/Retroarch is installed? Would be super ultracool!

if I may suggest a couple.

1. A quick map option for the four (north, south, east, west) joypad buttons to be mapped to the right analogue stick. There is already an option for this with the d-pad and an analogue stick. This would be really useful for 1st person games on the PSP and N64 with both used those buttons like a d-pad in some games.

2. Some submenus in the Core Downloader option. Probably just one for Sega and Nintendo. This would make the ever growing list easier to navigate as the list is getting longer (better) all the time.

Thanks

Thanks to the “Menu Aspect Ratio” setting, rgui is highly compatible with bezel overlays. I find it allows for a nice transition between game and menu.

However, rgui is far from the most user-friendly menu available. I’d like to see a similar option in the other menus.

Perhaps this could be implemented in xmb in a similar fashion to the “Menu Layout” setting. I also like for there to be some sort of solution for ozone.

Actually, while wer’e on the topic of ozone… just more customization options… period. I don’t really care what they would be; we just need more of them.

HDR support, please.

A tag option for game completion and corresponding submenu would be a great QoL feature. Just like how Add to Favorite and Favorites functions.

I don’t know if it’s already suggested here but I think it should’ve been already a thing so far. Does anyone knows if there are any RetroArch addition for such feature at least? I really like this to be happen.

It seems the bsnes core does not support cheats, so that would be nice.

Currently the PCSX2 Core Info file accepts “CISO” but not “CSO”. Personally I’m not familiar with CISO, but CSO is supported. I’m not sure if it is a typo or simply another name for the same format? Anyway you have to manually add CSO it to the .cfg, which will become a recurrent issue everytime core info files are updated.

1 Like

For this thread, would it be appropriate to ask for stability to take priority over features? Extra gamepads being supported would be nice, there’s always new controllers but Im afraid they wont be supported in RA/Lakka.

We rely on users who own the pads to create and submit profiles. It’s not possible for us to purchase every pad that gets released just to create profiles for them.

About that how come you guys don’t have a way for us to give back to Lakka’s development in another way by donating money or shipping you new hardware such as new controllers.

Lakka and libretro’s development have gotten more closely integrated lately such that donations to the libretro patreon will go, in part, to funding Lakka, as well. If you want to ship controllers to someone, we can make that happen. It’s usually more expensive than it’s worth, though. That is, shipping internationally typically costs more than just donating money to buy it locally.

We used to do more hardware donations, but it was a big hassle all around.

I’ve heard Patreon has its share of controversies and takes a noticeable sum from donations. Do you also use LiberaPay?

I think we do, yeah, but most of the action happens on Patreon, since that’s the one everyone uses.

I think somethimg that would greatly improve the light gun (mouse/wiimote) experience is some way to improve or customize the crosshairs. Some cores use a crosshairs that are almost impossible to see and sadly my wife’s vision, even with glasses, means she can’t enjoy these games with me because she has no idea where she’s shooting.

If there was a way to import a large colored crosshairs though, it would be amazing.

Not sure how possible this is…

1 Like

Please make it, so it automatically installs to program files, or atleast have it automatically be in a folder named “RetroArch”. I installed it to D: because I usually have no storage on C:. I install it in a folder where I install all of my games, and I assumed it made a “RetroArch” folder. I wanted to uninstall it, because I saw that all of the files were scrambled in my games folder. Half of what I had in there was deleted, except for RetroArch.

I’ve been a libretro user for many years now. I love how comprehensive and flexible it is, even though it can be a bit hard to learn for non-techies. And I really like the more user friendly direction it is taking, with notifications, a simple quick menu and so on.

And on that note, I have a suggestion. I have set up a couple handheld systems for my young kids to play retro games, and for the most part this works fine. They rarely have to enter the libretro menus, which would most likely confuse them. But the complex save state functionality is keeping them from saving their games and investing time in longer gaming experiences. Right now it is too abstract for them, and if they understood all the key presses - they would need to memorize what each save slot stores which sounds a bit too much to ask even of an adult.

Have you considered creating a simple save screen similar to the mini consoles, with four screenshot boxes each holding a save state? A couple of the libretro emulators on my Vita feature those, and they are really great to use (CATSFC-libretro-vita is one example). So maybe this feature is in already?

Also, if there was a way to automatically save the game state at exit, and then load it back on game startup that would be great!

Cheers!

The XMB menu supports savestate thumbnails, which can help a little with your savestate issue. It doesn’t take you to a little submenu or anything, but it does show a screenshot from the moment you saved state as you cycle through the slots to make it easier to browse them.

There is an option to automatically take a savestate on exit and another to automatically load it when you start up. If it helps you find them, here’s an unrolled menu map for the XMB menu (Ozone and RGUI are identical for most things with a few cosmetic differences): https://github.com/libretro/docs/blob/master/docs/guides/xmb-menu-map.md

Thanks! XMB is the PS3-ish interface, right? I am setting up on an Odroid Go Advance for my daughter, using a Batocera build. Batocera comes with a really easy to understand default EmulationStation theme, and I’m not sure if I want to replace that with an XMB interface. But I will play around and see :slight_smile: