Development Suggestions

Talking about the explore menu, would be nice to be able to list results matching playlist entries and not just database, when searching by name. At the moment not all games from a set are present so some roms are not showing up.

1 Like

A shortcut who allow the player to swap between 2 controllers would be nice. I have 2 controls, a Xbox 360 and a Logitech F710 as a secondary. Sometimes I want to use the F710 as Player 1, but its a pain to swap quickly.

The Snes9x have this option by pressing 6. Would be nice to see this option working in the whole system.

2 Likes

@McCloud yes, I second this, I have a similar situation but with a F310 (controller) and a Hori RAP V (arcade stick), and having an hotkey solution to swap ports would be great to avoid doing:

Open Menu -> Settings -> Input -> Port 1 -> change device -> Go back -> Port 2 -> change device -> back to the game

1 Like

Maybe this feature could come handy when tuning existing (simple) presets.

Namely an option to just overwrite the parameter settings in the preset without using the “Save As” option and inputing the presets name.

Something like a new “Modify Current Preset” option in the shaders Save menu.

7 Likes
  1. NetPlay: Display the list of players and signal which are spectators and which are players and what is the control number, if possible come up with some way to reorder the list when there is a change of players to help know who will be next to play
  • It could be something like when there is a change in the joystick, update the list instantly, more to prevent the list from being updated by mistake, it could restore the original position of the player who does not keep the joystick connected for a certain time
  1. Input: Make it possible to link the control configuration whether it be game, core, directory to the specific control. Like I have a PS3 controller and an arcade controller and there is always a need to reconfigure the game, it is possible to set the arcade layout to be similar to the ps3 joystick but this does not seem to be a good practice and it is not possible to disable the macros when playing with the arcade stick this way

2. Game focus Mode: If the player has configured the keyboard as a joystick and enable Game focus keep only the keys that control the joystick enabled

Allow Configure webhook for when starting an online game with this it would be possible to notify other players without the need to enter the retroarch using Telegram/Discord/Website for this Allow choosing a minimum time for the game to remain before sending the request, send all possible parameters nameGame/system/versionRetroarch/number of Players, always send a new request when there is any change, change of game/change of number of players/game closure

Would it be possible to add 21:9 as an aspect ratio for rgui? I’d be down to work on this if possible I just don’t know where to start

Implementation of AMD FSR 3 - Frame Duplication for 3d games

1 Like

Could you implement a import feature for music and videos? I watch old tv series with retroarch because of the CRT shaders and want a easy way of accessing my files with folders without opening them one by one, would also be cool if the next episode starts when the current one ends.

2 Likes
  1. Rumble support for dinput controllers without the need for an xinput wrapper (linking this thread, this one, and one of mine) ?

2. Savefile and / or ROM conversion functionality baked in to the RA menu (as provided by tools such as Memcardrex, chdman, etc.) ?

2 Likes

Maybe it can be called “Save (Overwrite)” or “Save and Replace” to be more in line with standard GUI nomenclature.

While “Modify Current Preset” or “Modifies Currently Loaded Preset” could be in the description text below the Menu Item.

1 Like

In Playlist an scroll bar in right side for user see what is the position and size of game list.

Two suggestions related to playlists:

1. I think it would be cool to have if RetroArch (the GUI) would list the latest added games to any playlist. I imagine an automatically created playlist like “History”, but let’s call it “New”. And off course it would be good to have an option to turn on and off whenever someone wants to mass import lot of games to create a new playlist in example.
  2. An option or other way to hide played games from playlists for viewing. Either a key to toggle on the fly (would be ideal) or a general option in the settings. Maybe a way to have this saved in a playlist too, so we could toggle this option per playlist basis (and on the View playlist files).

Just a few ideas. I am sure there are higher priorities than these, but thought why not post it here, as this thread is exactly the place to do so. Instead polluting the issue tracker with feature requests.

1 Like

Nested playlist.

I’m am using retroarch without any frontend (having a frontend feels redundant to me and would add an extra layer to manage and configure that I don’t feel the need of ) and one thing I wish retroarch had is nested playlists, this will unclutter the main menu and also add the possibility to have more playlist at hand.

Sorry for the horrible mock-up! :sweat_smile: but I hope the concept is clear enough!

What do you people think?

5 Likes

100% on board with you. I also use RetroArch without an additional frontend (besides my own CLI launcher). Before that I was using EmulationStation on RetroPie and really miss the subfolder structured view in the GUI. (BTW, love your organization on the NES, as I have basically the same structure on my hard drive [games, hacks, translations, homebrew] on many systems). The more playlists and live views one has (at the moment 126 for me and that’s even 1 playlist for all subfolders of each system into one single playlist), the more useful it becomes.

This feature could also be used to group all Arcade (MAME, FB Neo and all other custom Arcade playlists I have) in one mother group, maybe add in a few LiveView playlists (.lvw) too. And all Nintendo consoles could be grouped together or all handheld systems.

I see two methods of how this could be configured from user perspective: either a) through an additional reference in each playlist, to specify (relative or absolute path) it’s a child of xxx or b) actually recognize subfolders in playlists folder automatically without further playlist editing. Both methods would have their pros and cons and I would be happy with any solution.

1 Like

Yeah I feel this would be the best way, plus if there are no folder/sub folder it will just work the way it works now.

Yes this would opens up many possibilities and personalization: grouping by year, by systems, or also grouping different favorite playlists by genres.

At the moment I have only one playlist per system, 51 playlist total, and navigation is already kinda funky. So I keep all the other sub-folders (hacks, translations etc ect) out and load them via “load content”.

If I would group by “brand” for example (nintendo, sega, commodore, arcade…) that will mean I would have only 16 “Items” in the main menu: much better navigation and also have many more playlist ready, probably 3 or 4 times (I guess) my current number of playlist.

1 Like

For this, I import everything from these folders into a single giant playlist with the manual scanner. Most of them aren’t recognized by the automatic scanner anyway. Just make sure to set a Custom System Name. This way you have some of the playlist benefits (such as Favorites for hacks too) and you can also use a unified search (with “/”, I think that’s default?).

Still this is a mess, because I cannot limit the search to hacks only in example (unless you have a naming scheme for filenames or have the display name edited in the playlist, which could be automated with scripts BTW).

Or adding single files or entire directories can be done with drag and drop using Settings > Show Desktop Menu. I usually have my file explorer open and drag and drop the file from it into this UI, that comes with RetroArch (on my system).

1 Like

Yeah I thought about that but I think a single playlist will become too messy, I prefer to keep just the no-intro sets as a playlist (also have boxart and snaps) and using load content for the rest, also with the “load content” options you can search within the directory ( “S” is my hotkey, not sure what is the default one). To add favorites: once loaded a game if you go to history you can add that game to favs.

Yes, desktop menu is useful to create custom playlists or add items to existing one, but then again too many playlists will make navigation a nightmare :sob:

1 Like

An option to delete save states via the UI would be nice.

2 Likes

One of the few things I miss from regular emulators is the option to set button combinations. Could RetroArch actually have them or there’s some limitation to the frontend? I’ve noticed that some cores have button combinations, like FCEUmm and FBNeo, but not all cores implement it, and the user can’t choose freely what to map to each button.

If possible, please add a thumbnail scale factor for each playlist separately. Currently you can only enlarge or reduce all thumbails at the same time. However, not all thumbails on my playlists need to be reduced, only some (for example playstation and dremcast). I will add that I use thumbails 3D, not those from retroarch.