Development Suggestions

Could you implement a import feature for music and videos? I watch old tv series with retroarch because of the CRT shaders and want a easy way of accessing my files with folders without opening them one by one, would also be cool if the next episode starts when the current one ends.

2 Likes
  1. Rumble support for dinput controllers without the need for an xinput wrapper (linking this thread, this one, and one of mine) ?

2. Savefile and / or ROM conversion functionality baked in to the RA menu (as provided by tools such as Memcardrex, chdman, etc.) ?

2 Likes

Maybe it can be called “Save (Overwrite)” or “Save and Replace” to be more in line with standard GUI nomenclature.

While “Modify Current Preset” or “Modifies Currently Loaded Preset” could be in the description text below the Menu Item.

1 Like

In Playlist an scroll bar in right side for user see what is the position and size of game list.

Two suggestions related to playlists:

1. I think it would be cool to have if RetroArch (the GUI) would list the latest added games to any playlist. I imagine an automatically created playlist like “History”, but let’s call it “New”. And off course it would be good to have an option to turn on and off whenever someone wants to mass import lot of games to create a new playlist in example.
  2. An option or other way to hide played games from playlists for viewing. Either a key to toggle on the fly (would be ideal) or a general option in the settings. Maybe a way to have this saved in a playlist too, so we could toggle this option per playlist basis (and on the View playlist files).

Just a few ideas. I am sure there are higher priorities than these, but thought why not post it here, as this thread is exactly the place to do so. Instead polluting the issue tracker with feature requests.

1 Like

Nested playlist.

I’m am using retroarch without any frontend (having a frontend feels redundant to me and would add an extra layer to manage and configure that I don’t feel the need of ) and one thing I wish retroarch had is nested playlists, this will unclutter the main menu and also add the possibility to have more playlist at hand.

Sorry for the horrible mock-up! :sweat_smile: but I hope the concept is clear enough!

What do you people think?

5 Likes

100% on board with you. I also use RetroArch without an additional frontend (besides my own CLI launcher). Before that I was using EmulationStation on RetroPie and really miss the subfolder structured view in the GUI. (BTW, love your organization on the NES, as I have basically the same structure on my hard drive [games, hacks, translations, homebrew] on many systems). The more playlists and live views one has (at the moment 126 for me and that’s even 1 playlist for all subfolders of each system into one single playlist), the more useful it becomes.

This feature could also be used to group all Arcade (MAME, FB Neo and all other custom Arcade playlists I have) in one mother group, maybe add in a few LiveView playlists (.lvw) too. And all Nintendo consoles could be grouped together or all handheld systems.

I see two methods of how this could be configured from user perspective: either a) through an additional reference in each playlist, to specify (relative or absolute path) it’s a child of xxx or b) actually recognize subfolders in playlists folder automatically without further playlist editing. Both methods would have their pros and cons and I would be happy with any solution.

1 Like

Yeah I feel this would be the best way, plus if there are no folder/sub folder it will just work the way it works now.

Yes this would opens up many possibilities and personalization: grouping by year, by systems, or also grouping different favorite playlists by genres.

At the moment I have only one playlist per system, 51 playlist total, and navigation is already kinda funky. So I keep all the other sub-folders (hacks, translations etc ect) out and load them via “load content”.

If I would group by “brand” for example (nintendo, sega, commodore, arcade…) that will mean I would have only 16 “Items” in the main menu: much better navigation and also have many more playlist ready, probably 3 or 4 times (I guess) my current number of playlist.

1 Like

For this, I import everything from these folders into a single giant playlist with the manual scanner. Most of them aren’t recognized by the automatic scanner anyway. Just make sure to set a Custom System Name. This way you have some of the playlist benefits (such as Favorites for hacks too) and you can also use a unified search (with “/”, I think that’s default?).

Still this is a mess, because I cannot limit the search to hacks only in example (unless you have a naming scheme for filenames or have the display name edited in the playlist, which could be automated with scripts BTW).

Or adding single files or entire directories can be done with drag and drop using Settings > Show Desktop Menu. I usually have my file explorer open and drag and drop the file from it into this UI, that comes with RetroArch (on my system).

1 Like

Yeah I thought about that but I think a single playlist will become too messy, I prefer to keep just the no-intro sets as a playlist (also have boxart and snaps) and using load content for the rest, also with the “load content” options you can search within the directory ( “S” is my hotkey, not sure what is the default one). To add favorites: once loaded a game if you go to history you can add that game to favs.

Yes, desktop menu is useful to create custom playlists or add items to existing one, but then again too many playlists will make navigation a nightmare :sob:

1 Like

An option to delete save states via the UI would be nice.

3 Likes

One of the few things I miss from regular emulators is the option to set button combinations. Could RetroArch actually have them or there’s some limitation to the frontend? I’ve noticed that some cores have button combinations, like FCEUmm and FBNeo, but not all cores implement it, and the user can’t choose freely what to map to each button.

2 Likes

If possible, please add a thumbnail scale factor for each playlist separately. Currently you can only enlarge or reduce all thumbails at the same time. However, not all thumbails on my playlists need to be reduced, only some (for example playstation and dremcast). I will add that I use thumbails 3D, not those from retroarch.

I would like to use overlays to create custom HUDs for games. In the case of Thunder Force 4 here, I would use it in combination with cropping the video output to adapt the game, at least the gameplay portion, to widescreen.

This would require an overlay function for copying rectangles from the video output with an option for transparent color or replace color. I didn’t find any documentation on such a function so I’m suggesting it here.

2 Likes

Interesting idea. Do I get it right, that you want in example mark an area of the playfield to be “custom” (like the highscores) and mirror them or cut out to another place on the screen? Like in an image editor, cutting out an area and place it somewhere else. And with a specific color to be transparent, it could be even used as an overlay in the middle of the screen.

So that is what I’m getting here and this is extremely intriguing to me. No idea how complicated this would be to implement, but if there is any chance, I am all for it too. If this was not what you meant, then well, then its my suggestion. :smiley:

Edit: Instead me making a new reply, I’ll edit here my thoughts.

This functionality would be actually modding, but for RetroArch. I especially like the idea to read out exact RAM address. RetroArch should have already such functionality builtin, as it has a Cheat system. I imagine downloadable mods for certain games or type of games or systems. Man this is wild! The potential is actually huge!

Only problem could be the different resolutions.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Another idea is displaying a value from a RAM address, which would allow showing internal info not visible to the player originally. Eventually not only as text but a meter or an icon so you could make a super-detailed M2 ShotTriggers type HUD if you wanted.

6 Likes

Suggestion: Automatic m3u-playlist creation when run with multiple games at once.

An option (preferrably through commandline option and/or a config setting) to automatically generate temporary .m3u files. The way how I imagine would work is when giving multiple ROM files over to RetroArch to run, then it will write a .m3u files with all the Rom paths/names in it. And instead play the .m3u file and maybe delete the file afterwards. On the commandline this could be an option like --m3u or explicitly named --m3u=FILE, when there is a more direct control needed without the file getting deleted automatically (for reuse).

Kind of similar in the idea of soft-patching .ips files. The idea is to run multiple disks as a single game. We can achieve this by manually writing a .m3u file already. I think this automation step would be nice to have.

2 Likes

Would be nice to have an option to disable the scan function in the file browser to avoid accidental scans.

By default the hotkey is a on a keyboard and Y button (left) on retropad.

1 Like

Suggestion: Import Playlist or Scan Playlist

We have the wonderful ability to easily create playlists. The problem is, we can’t easily share them in RetroArch, because of the file paths. At least with Roms known in the database (No-Intro set, Arcade sets and so on) this can still be automated using the RetroArch import Rom functionality on each Playlist entry.

The suggestion is to add a new import option called “Import Content” > “Scan Playlist”, which then goes over every game entry as if it was a directory and uses “Scan File” on it. It would then use the playlists original filename to determine to which playlist to add, instead putting it where it would go normally; meaning an imported Arcade game in example would not go to FBNeo or MAME, but to the imported playlist name.

1 Like

Suggestion: In playlist settings, an option to replace the “, The” in the entry’s name that follows the no-intro format, with a human-friendly looking "The " in the beginning of the name, automatically. Just like we have an option to “remove () and []” right now, it seems to be a very simple string manipulation. Thank you.