Development Suggestions

Any testing or development on/for the Banana Pi M2 Berry?

Thanks!

:slight_smile:

Can you please add an option to save the current shader parameters to the active CGP.
As of now the only option is to ā€œSave Asā€ and retype the same name.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like more enhancements to netplay. The last time I used it, which was around a year a go, I wish there was an in game text chat feature to allow messaging during a session (like press T and type, then press enter to send). Not everyone who connects wants to voice chat, so being able to text chat anyone would be a big help for some games - especially if connecting through the lobby. And of course, an option to disable it if people wanted.

Itā€™d be nice to have password protected rooms as well, or just an option to lock the room so no one else can connect.

I also hope for just an overall better netplay session management system. I remember it being confusing when trying to switch controllers to other players using keyboard shortcuts. As the owner of the game session, itā€™d be nice to have a menu in Retroarch that you can access pressing F1 to manage everything. Like kicking players, banning players, locking rooms, setting passwords, etc.

Is it possible to add music files to the games you want to select. Like on ps3 when browsing games. That would be great.

And for the core of n64 to disable fog. I noticed that when you disable fog in some games on the mupen stand alone that run so much faster.

And one question can I run GameCube games on a dual-core 1.8 ghz and 8 gb ram?

Retroarch is working perfectly on Chrome OS with ARC, I just wanted to know if I do run into issues should I report them or is ARC not a supported platform?

Itā€™s not specifically supported, but feel free to report issues and weā€™ll fix them if we can.

I second this one. Itā€™s massively annoying especially if you mistype and donā€™t realize then everything is thrown off.

Not sure if this is possible already.
Idea: A good idea would be able to set a default timeout when in-game but still inactive. So after xxx minutes of inactivity (No input) the emulator/game exits (same as using hotkey + exit) so the game returns to Emulationstation where the screensaver will be able to run.
Why: I have made a arcade style cabinet that friends / families can use. Sometime when younger children play they leave the arcade with the game still running. So no screensaver is enabled making some burn-in to my old 4:3 screen.

The Netplay feature seems to be almost there, it will be nice to see it connects to other players without user-side configuration. Detecting hosts as second player automatically, no ports opening needed. Itā€™s not solid as it is right now, I managed to test UMK3 (SNES) in a Desktop as host and an Android device as player 2, it worked, but later, without messing with configuration, I tested again and it didnā€™t connect at all.

One development suggestion I like to point out is to at least optimize Retroarch to run full screen on Samsung Dex. Plus, add vibrations on Android and external controllers like Xbox 360 controller to function like force feedback vibrations from certain emulators on Retroarch like Playstation 1, Nintendo 64, etc.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s a suspend screensaver setting thatā€™s defaulted to on, if Iā€™m not mistaken. Have you tried disabling that?

Hey, Iā€™ve just switched over from MyBoy to Retroarch as my standard emulator for my gba games on my mobile phone. Iā€™ve used Retroarch on my MacBook and PC for over a year now and decided making the switch would be worth it on mobile. However, Iā€™m having a really hard time getting used to the controls. I did some exploring and found out that you can use a preset gba overlay for the controls however the L and R buttons at the top are too high for me to comfortably reach. What is the best way for me to edit this specific overlay so that I can lower the buttons down to a more comfortable position and use it in the app? Thank you in advance!

You can edit them in a text editor, but first youā€™ll need to get them somewhere user-writeable. To do that, make a new directory in your user-writeable RetroArch directory. Call it ā€˜overlaysā€™ or something similar. Then, go to settings > directory and change your overlay directory from the default location to the directory you just created. Then, go to the online updater and re-download the overlays. They should now be in a location where you can modify them.

You can move buttons my opening the cfg file for the desired overlay in a text editor and then changing the center-point coordinates: https://docs.libretro.com/specs/overlay/#coordinate-descriptors

So, find the button(s) you want to move and then change the first 2 numbers to match the coordinates you want.

I second this. I would love to be able to use Retroarch in full screen dex mode.

Same here. The only problem currently in Dex mode is completely zoomed and canā€™t be unzoomed.

I got a suggestion: Custom menu GUIs. For example, you donā€™t like the PS4-style menu so you change it to a Switch-style menu.

Hi. One thing is bothering me since I started to use Retroarch few years ago: when you are selecting a ROM to play, why the display area for file names is so short? Romsets have many different roms with long names. Itā€™s a pain to wait while the name scrolls horizontally to see that [!] or [T+Eng] or whatever information you want to learn from a long file name. On top of that, horizontal scroll is sooooo sloooooow.

Hereā€™s an example:

Why not use all that extra space to the right of files? So, hereā€™s my suggestion: use it in next versions. :grin: Thank you.

P.S. Other GUI themes do not have this problem. I use glui now for convinience, but would like to use xmb. )

Why not use all that extra space to the right of files?

Thatā€™s because the space is reserved for the thumbnail/screenshot/image/cover of the game whereas in glui, because its produced for lighter devices, has no area for those pictures.

Having said so, I would suggest that if the setting for thumbnails is disabled then automatically the area is no longer reserved and becomes available for full file/game names.

Suggestion a little tweak to the Glui/MaterialUi menu drivers for better recognition of the On/Off switches for the Shield palette.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/libretro/RetroArch/master/menu/drivers/materialui.c

if (texture_switch)
{
  /* This will be used instead of label_color if
   * texture_switch is 'off' icon */
  float pure_white[16]=  {
     1.00, 1.00, 1.00, 1.00,
     1.00, 1.00, 1.00, 1.00,
     1.00, 1.00, 1.00, 1.00,
     1.00, 1.00, 1.00, 1.00,
  };

materialui_draw_icon(video_info,
        mui->icon_size,
        (uintptr_t)texture_switch,
        width - mui->margin    - mui->icon_size,
        y + (scale_factor / 6) - mui->icon_size/2,
        width,
        height,
        switch_is_on ? &label_color[0] :  &pure_white[0]
        );

}

Because label_color is defaulted to white and also because if texture_switch is off, label colour is not used, then I suggest that the Shield menu colour theme have the following change.

Presently,

However, I propose the off switch to be coloured grey instead of white both when it is not highlighted and also when highlighted (selected).

The data pertaining to that grey is as follows.

Taken from:

Naturally, the devs or any other interested person may select a colour which matches the Nvidia Shield palette. That grey is just a suggestion as long as the off button itself has a differentiationā€¦

Thank you.

Suggestion Scan Directory & Scan File in glui menu driver having toggle on/off options in settings. This in order to have the playlists immediately available. My use case is that I code everything including the *.lpl files and so do not require those options visible at all. Naturally, they would be visible by default but toggleable.

For reference, I toggle off most options even on the home menu.

By comparison, in xmb menu driver the Show Import Content Tab (in menu) is toggleable and in my case is disabled.

Thank you.