Development Suggestions

Ah, yeah I wondered if that might be the case. Would cranking up saturation at that point offset the effect, or just make a gushy mess out of the image?

you would get clipping before you could make a dent in it.

I was thinkingā€¦

What if it had a method to more easily and directly configure your Network Connection in the Settings Tab.

What if it also had the info for what the controls do in each tab on the bottom right while youā€™re in the API, the kind that says what each button does (like ā€œY = Back; B = Exit; X = Info; A = OKā€, or something like that (keyboard included)).

Maybe also an Internet Browser in the API itself based on Gecko for easier accessibility to the internet, and maybe a much more simple method to download and run ROMs instead of having to dig through your partition and directories every single time, like a much easier option to set the ā€œhome partitionā€ for every time you have new ROMs and need to run them the first time a lot faster than usualā€¦

But Iā€™m just suggesting, if you have any ideas/opinions that might improve my statement or reasons why itā€™s not possible/necessary, Iā€™m listeningā€¦

Speedrun-Modus

Cheating in speed-running is a big topic in there history. I did see the implementation of Retroachievement that disables save-state and verify the ROM. A moderator on Speedrun.com did tell me that 99% of the cheated emulator runs they found are a TAS playback. On real hardware it is more that cheater splice video parts together. I believe there could be many user that are happy to have a emulator that helps to verify that they donā€™t cheat. Moderators could be more relaxed since it will be hard to cheat after. This could also help the speedrun community grow and be taken more serious again. Here some Ideas how this feature could look like.

• Verify ROM reset the emulator. Showing a overlay with the ROM information, Speedrun-Modus and date after resetting.

• Load the core bare bone. Donā€™t allow save-state or some addon that could be used for cheating (so far this could be added to hardcore mode)

• Implement SpeedRunLive Spliter/auto-splitting support.

• Viewing the leader board and categories.

So Iā€™ve had this issue where, when using the hotkey enable button + the RetroArch menu toggle button to close the RetroArch menu in order to return to the game, hotkeys stop responding completely. Itā€™s taken me forever to figure out what the issue is, but today I finally did it. After switching to full screen, the RetroArch menu popped up with the Search menu open, so it became obvious that RetroArch stopped responding to hotkeys because the Search menu was open, even though the RetroArch menu was closed (I had the Menu Toggle assigned to my X button on my SF30 Pro, which is the same button for the search feature, also of note: Iā€™m using the Windows 10 version of RetroArch, tried on the latest nightly build).

The easy work around is to map your Menu Toggle button to something that the RetroArch menu doesnā€™t use (I switched it to Start), but I could see people not being aware of this, kind of like I was. The only suggestion I have to fix this is to have the Hotkey Enable button disable inputs for the RetroArch menu functions so that RetroArch only responds to the Hotkey, but I donā€™t know if thereā€™s unintended consequences to this.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just tried Ozone for the first time, and itā€™s a great addition for a desktop computer setup. I still prefer the xmb for my HTPC.

Suggestion to add some sort of welcome screen for first time users/first time installers, to ask them what they want Retroarch to look like (basically guiding them through the process). I think that would go a long way in removing some of the confusion a lot of people have with the default xmb menu structure.

I donā€™t know if this is the right place for this, but Iā€™ve always wondered why itā€™s necessary to toggle integer scale off/on when switching to a different core. If you donā€™t toggle, then it uses the integer scale from the previously loaded core. I suggest that the toggle should occur automatically, so youā€™re always getting the correct integer scale for each core without needing to toggle it off/on.

Is it necessary to have so many different options related to video rotation, in the cores and in the frontend?

Right now with FBA (for example) you have to do the following:

-Load a game. Oops, this is a vertical game.
-go to core options -> enable vertical mode
-load a different core/game
-reload the previous game 
-enable advanced user options
-go to video settings -> rotation -> 180 degrees (if your monitorā€™s stand doesnā€™t rotate in the other direction). 

This just seems overly cumbersome. Do we need all these different knobs/dials related to video rotation? Wouldnā€™t a single option in the frontend be sufficient for this?

Something that you could map to a hotkey sounds like itā€™d be super useful.

I love what you guys are doing. My suggestions would be adding a social network element to retroarch where one can create a username and add friends or chat.

Better netplay. I should be able to enter a lobby where I see who is online and playing and I can enter the game anytime i want, just like in the arcades.

Not sure if this has been suggested or not.

Would it be possible to add an option to RA to create desktop shortcuts of the currently running game and core? Or make shortcuts on Android/IOS with the same premise.

3 Likes

Biggest feature Iā€™d like see added is to have an option to scan and add every file within a folder regardless of it matching some elusive DAT file.

For example, with the move to FBNeo itā€™s been difficult/impossible to get roms to scan and add automatically (I had to make a manual playlist which lost me all the clean rom names and artwork). If there was just a way to force them to scan and add it would be perfection since all of the roms clearly still work.

I think it would be nice to have the option to blur the game image in the background when popping the Retroarch menu. It would be a nice eye candy effect. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know if you are on windows you can create a shortcut and then edit the command line to match the gameā€™s file and core. I donā€™t know of any way to do that from software or on android though. If you just need a few games though, that should get you desktop links.

I already made a python script to make bat shortcuts based on user choice. But thatā€™s only for Windows.

What I would like to see is a native option baked into RA to make shortcuts.

1 Like

I believe this has been a feature for some time now, but please make scanning a directory with the left facebutton ā€œsquare button on a DS4ā€ optional. This bugs me a lot. I might push the wrong button and then Retroarch scans the whole directory. Also I want to set up an idiot proof RA for my nephews, which is more or less ā€œset in stoneā€. I donā€™t want them to accidentily hit the square button, adding more playlists, and/or wonder why everything stutters (while RA scans the folder).

2 Likes

One thing i miss is a core backup function when updating.
Since older cores must be compiled by the user it would be neat to have a possibility in RA to backup before updating, so if something doesnā€™t work we can revert to the previous core.

(see the mame 0.212 - 0.214 problem this month)

1 Like

How about adding a cloud based synchronization feature that allows users to synchronize save states across multiple computers.:blush:

1 Like

I would like Dinput Vibration/Force Feedback support. The current implementation is hit or miss, and thatā€™s if youā€™re lucky. I just want vibration for my DualShock 1 pads :frowning:

2 Likes

Since we canā€™t customize onscreen notifications (except font size) if Menu Widgeds are enabled,
i would like to have Onscreen Notifications and Display Framerate separated,
as you canā€™t have both at the same time.

If Display Framerate is enabled, you wonā€™t see the rest of the notifications (e.g. fast foreward, load/save state, plugged in controller etc.)

Is it possible to make 2 separated entries for font/size/position/color/background/background color?

1 Like