Development Suggestions

if someone wanted to give us a PR for this, we’d probably merge it, but we haven’t had the greatest experience with doing stuff like this for Android. That is, when we added intents in the first place, it just enabled a bunch of non-free/adware launchers to pop up around us with no benefit to us.

Hi there, best program for emulation by far, only minor issues I’ve had so far, for example, I use technicolor video filter, but the vignette added to it causes glitches in some roms, like shadows and reduces viewable area of gamespace, I’ve managed to fix this on pc, but on android my phone is rooted and can’t modify settings, tried making a custom shader but an error is shown when loading it since not official because there’s a reason why I can’t disable the vignette in the shader parameters, please it’d help If you can make just one more shader in technicolor but without that vignette, I can send you screenshots If you want to further investigate this issue, and again thanks for this best software in emulation ever.

Some kind of crash protection would be nice to have. I know that some people have said before that crashes should be eliminated by coding better cores, but that isn’t likely to happen soon. On Lakka, RetroArch is an essential part of the OS and a core crash will essentially bring down the whole system. Ideally, a core crash should result in an error message and the user getting thrown back into XMB.

I’m not following this. There’s a shader parameter for disabling the vignetting. You’re saying it doesn’t work?

It does work, the problem comes with non-rooted smartphones like mine, an LG K10 I haven’t found a reliable way to root it, just making the .glslp obtainable from the downloable content tab (which is around 2KB) would solve the issue entirely. For me that’s the perfect shader I don’t ask for more. Don’t miss a chance to thank developers, they really did it with this software.

I still don’t quite understand what you’re lacking/wanting. If you want to get the shaders somewhere user-writeable, go to settings > directory and change your shader directory to somewhere user-writeable and then go to the online updater and ‘update glsl shaders’.

Well that’s what I did, set the directory, tried loading shader from there, still no luck with it, it says “error saving shader preset”. Hence the reason I came up with this suggestion.

Ok, the directions I gave in the last post should allow you to save shader presets. However, make sure you’re using internal storage for the directory.

As a new user to RA, I find the custom control setup per core to be frustrating.

When setting up a custom controller mapping for say… Genesis/MegaDrive we know that there are 6 action buttons, start, mode and D-Pad. How about a simple option to reconfigure controls for this core and go through a rebind procedure that asks the user to press whatever button for a,b,c,x,y,z,start,mode etc?

Only the buttons on the real pad should be offered to remap during the rebind procedure.

LOL as if it was so simple. People wanted customizability, now they have customizability.

There isn’t a single way to make a gui to accomodate everything you people ask for (remapping analogs to digital, digital to analog, unmap buttons, bind buttons n to 1, bind 1 button to multiple actions.

I know it can be done better but I will certainly not do it.

The ability to monitor folders and when a new rom is added to a folder, the playlist is automatically updated.

I’m really missing a feature about time I’ve played a game as in minutes… would be nice I think

Wifi direct netplay within RetroArch would be awesome, no internet required to play, imagine going on vacation and everyone can play via a wifi direct connection with their phones without wasting phone data.

A way to auto convert codes to the new cheat format.

This is the Never Bleed code, 011A39BE 000000000, from Illbleed v1.002 (US) which converted to the new format looks like the:

cheat0_address = “1718718” cheat0_address_bit_position = “255” cheat0_big_endian = “false” cheat0_cheat_type = “1” cheat0_desc = “no bleeding” cheat0_enable = “true” cheat0_handler = “1” cheat0_memory_search_size = “4” cheat0_rumble_port = “0” cheat0_rumble_primary_duration = “0” cheat0_rumble_primary_strength = “0” cheat0_rumble_secondary_duration = “0” cheat0_rumble_secondary_strength = “0” cheat0_rumble_type = “0” cheat0_rumble_value = “0” cheat0_value = “0”

I’d like a feature that automatically converts the code.

I’d like an easy way to play CD based systems (i.e, PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast) while using the bin/cue files.

You load the cue, how easier can it get?

I wanted to ask if it is possible to create a second framebuffer object. I suppose you could add a callback that lets a core output a partial framebuffer to specific regions using the shader pipeline, disabling the global shader pipeline. The reason is for all the second screen cores. Like dreamcast VMU, DS, Gamecube/GBA , maybe wiiu in the future. So upscaling and displaying the partial framebuffer would be helpful

Example:

I have an idea:

How about for games without box art, how about we add them with images from desktop if we have them?

With recent announcement about making Retroarch more user friendly in the coming months, I would like to see a revamp of the control input mapping interface. The one we have right now is just so confusing. Buttons are in a arbitrary order, it’s hard to keep track of which button is which, especially with xinput nomenclature on top of the Retroarch nomenclature that doesnt usually fit the core’s controller it’s emulating. I mean, I just want to use “left” and “down” buttons for “B” and “A” on NES, and call me dumb, I always mess up.

Maybe they could add a diagram of the controller and highlight it to show which button is actually being mapped? That would definitly avoid any confusion. The hardest part would be supporting multiple controller diagrams.