Dolphin Core Crashes When Starting Any Wii Game

Hi, I’m running Retroarch 1.6.7. Any time I try to start a Wii game, RetroArch crashes. I’ve tried at least 6 games and those same games start up fine using the Dolphin standalone emulator. I can also start all GameCube games with the Dolphin core just fine.

Here is a log file: https://pastebin.com/Dkwf5Dmu

I expect it has something to do with these lines:

SetupWiiMemory: Can't create setting.txt file
Unable to resolve read address 80004000 PC 0
Unable to resolve read address 80004004 PC 0
Unable to resolve read address 80004008 PC 0

I trimmed out a number of the “Unable to resolve read address” lines from the log file because there were hundreds of thousands of them. How can I resolve this?

1 Like

A lot of Wii games straight-up won’t work. I’ve only tried a handful, but I know demon blade muramasa works, at least, so it’s not strictly an “all wii games are broken” situation, just an “almost all wii games are broken” one :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hmm, I just tried Muramasa: The Demon Blade and I’m getting the same result with the same error in the log file.

I know our roms could be different, but I question that there isn’t something else going on for me.

What happens you try to launch a Wii game that doesn’t work? For me, the RetroArch UI minimizes like it’s going to switch to the game, but then after a few seconds I get the windows error pop up that says

RetroArch.exe has stopped working.

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.

I just tried New Super Mario Bros Wii and it fired right up, too. So, yeah, there may be something amiss with your specific setup. I’m using Linux 64-bit, for reference.

Hi Hunterk,

When I try to load Muramasa, I have the message “Could not access to wii memory” What is the problem ?

Thanks

Anyone able to help with this further?

If I do a completely clean install of retroarch without modifying any settings, download the Dolphin core, update the Dolphin core, and then try to load any Wii game, I still get this error in the log and retroarch crashes.

SetupWiiMemory: Can't create setting.txt file.

I was able to get it to work by manually updating NANDRootPath within the Dolphin.ini file in the …\RetroArch\saves\User\Config\ folder.

I set it to this directory:

NANDRootPath = C:\Users\Brucey\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii

1 Like

Thanks a lot Your trick is working !!!

Hey. I’m having this exact same issue, but renaming manually adding the NANDRootPath to the .ini file still isn’t resolving the issue. Any ideas?

I have the same issue. None of my Wii games work with the same exception in a debug window as mentioned in the first post. While all my games work just find in standalone Dolphin version.

same for me (see my post. I tried it also with a completely new installation of retroarch with default configuration.

Is there anything else I can provide?

I am confused, so did you just make an empty folder called Dolphin Emulator\Wii? Did you actually install Dolphin proper and then link to it’s directory? If neither of those, then what exactly?

I’m not 100%, but I’m fairly sure that I actually installed the standalone dolphin emulator which created the Dolphin Emulator\Wii folder within my Documents folder and then I linked to its directory.