Dolphin Core - GC Analog-Triggers not working

Hey everyone,

I’ve just played Double Dash and I noticed I can’t drift. I don’t remember, but I think this issue has not existed before.

Everything works great on standalone Dolphin, so I’m sure it’s not my controller setup.

It seems that the dolphin core won’t recognize the Analog Triggers. In Retroarch Control options, the L and R Triggers are set to L and R Analog. However, when I remap the L and R Triggers to just L and R (not Analog) drifting works.

Other games, such as Smash Bros Melee work with the default settings (L and R Triggers bring up the shield)

Does anone know what I am missing here?

I think I know what’s going on now, but I don’t know how to fix this:

In standalone Dolphin, borth L/R and L-Analog/R-Analog nare automatically mapped to the triggers (as it should be), so games that do and don’t utilize Analog Triggers can be conrolled.

However, in Retroarch, one can only map either L/R or L-Analog/R-Analog to the triggers. By default, retroarch maps L-Analog/R-Analog to the triggers and L/R to the Stick press (L3 and R3). This breaks games that don’t use L-Analog/R-Analog, since you’d have to poress L3/R3 to activate L/R.

I’ve tested this with Mario Kart Double Dash and indeed L3/R3 lets me drift.

So my question is: Is there a way to make retroarch behave like standalone dolphin? Can I somehow map both L/R AND L-Analog/R-Analog to my Xbox Triggers?

The only other solution I see is finding out all the games that actualy use L-Analog/R-Analog and creating custom remap files for all of those games, which is not ideal at all.

OK, problem solved, I guess. It turns out that the labelling in Retroarch is just unclear. The triggers should be set to “L” and “R” and if you use a controller that has Analog Triggers, everything will work fine.

I think you only need “L-Analog” and “R-Analog” if you use a controller without analog triggers.

2 Likes

oh, could that be a weird name for the ‘analog half-press’ that’s needed for some stuff on Mario Sunshine?

1 Like

Hm… now I want to play some Mario Sunshine.

1 Like