Dolphin not working on 1.8.3 (stable, Win10)

Dolphin appears to have ceased working since I upgraded to latest (stable) version 1.8.3. (tried on 1.7.7 backup - works fine!). Windows 10, neither GameCube nor Wii titles start up.

Log console briefly gives this error before shutting down:

Exception code=0xc0000005 flags=0x0 at 0x00007FFE401D519A. Access violation - attempting to read data at address 0x00000000000230

Here’s the Retroarch start up log for when I tried to load Dolphin core and then New! Super Mario Bros. Wii

Can’t work out where the problem is. Dolphin standalone works just fine (<3 Dolphin) but when trying with RetroArch I get nuthin’.

Go to settings > core > allow cores to change the video driver OFF (if you don’t see settings > core submenu, go to settings > user interface > show advanced settings ON).

1 Like

Thank you @hunterk. It works now. I thought I’d tried that already after reading this post, but I must have not saved the configuration.

1 Like

I’ve searched forever for a fix. Thank you so much, it worked!!!

I’m fairly new to RetroArch so forgive me if I’m not familiar with some terms or things like that. I’ve had a similar error and I’ve tried everything suggested but it’s still crashing. I’ve been getting this error from the log console: Exception code=0xc0000005 flags=0x0 at 0x00007FFD72C68430. Access violation - attempting to read data at address 0x000000000000000C Dolphin on its own works great, but I can’t get it to work within RetroArch. Any help would be great! Thanks!

1 Like

Hello, same problem since the upgrade to RA 1.8.5. RA just crash with any Gamecube ROM. I try to uninstall / reinstalld dolphin without any change. Any suggestions ? Thanks !!

I’m getting the same error as @mike7883. I tried disabling allow cores to change the video driver but the error persists. Running RA 1.8.5 and latest dolphin core. I also made sure I installed the latest visual c++ runtime and directx from Microsoft.

Here is the log: https://github.com/ninjachamp/retroarchlog/blob/master/log.txt

I updated RA to 1.8.5 version and Dolphin works fine (Win10, D3D11).

@ninjachamp It seems you’re using the gl1 driver, which it’s not working anymore for Dolphin. Try Vulkan or D3D11.

1 Like

Thank you, but I tried both and get the same error. I wonder if it is a driver issue.

I ended up completely blowing away the retroarch folder and donwloaded the latest nightly and dolphin can run games without issue.

1 Like

I am seeing this issue on 1.8.4, 1.8.5, and April 3rd 2020 nightly. Happens on any video drivers and toggled “allow core to change video driver” does not help

Hi, i,ve got the same Problem. RetroArch crashes on starting any GameCube or Wii-Rom with an Access Violation. Here is my Solution:

I have to deactivate

Run-Ahead to Reduce Latency

under

Settings => Latency

The Video Settings can be changed to Vulkan, OpenGL and DirectX with Threaded Video enabled or disabled.

Hope this will help.

1 Like