Dolphin, PCSX2 and PPSSPP versions?

Does anyone know the standalone versions these cores represent?

PPSSPP must be a recent version since i saw some recent fixes as well. Is it up-to-date with the standalone?

Dolphin must be very old, judging from the graphics bugs is see. Or maybe it’s just core related bugs. But which version is it? Also, is there a github page for the core, specifically?

Yes, PPSSPP is up-to-date because it builds from the upstream repo.

Dolphin is indeed quite old at this point. The way to find out is go to the commit log and then go backwards until you stop seeing libretro commits and just see upstream ones. It’s a couple of years by now. And yes, the repo is https://github.com/libretro/dolphin.

2 Likes

2 years? That’s disappointing. I guess standalone it is then.

Any info about PCSX2?

No change on it in quite some time. You can just look at the commit log there. https://github.com/libretro/pcsx2

Thanks for the links.

If Dolphin is 2 years old it must be version 5.0.12XXX. Which is weird because the graphics bugs i’m getting in 1080 snowboarding (garbled shadows) don’t appear in versions around that time, in fact, i tested the game in a much older standalone version that’s 5+ years old and the graphics in this game are still displayed correctly.

So the core must also be broken on top of being old :crazy_face:

If your metric is “does 1080 snowboarding work?” then yes, core is broken.

i think the core is more or less a mixup or not comparable to any standalone version , it has really old bubs like you said but is has vulkan so its kinda strange , or since when had standalone vulkan ?.

still the core “works” for most game didn´t testet 1080 S …but i get rid of sunshines “pixel/square puddles” can boot up project M and also i got mega man 9/10 running saddly none other wiiware like castlevania rebirth ^^

and i must say i had less problems with paper mario ttyd with the core than with standalone fore some reason :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But… yeah it´s a mess what i ended up with , cuz i added some newer dolphin standalone files to the system folder myself and changed some off the configs

still 007 Nightfire , NFSU 2 and other EA games have buggy videos an update would be nice anyways for so many reasons

No idea what version it’s based on, but’s really called an alpha for a reason. There’s the known problem that exit isn’t properly working, apparently the internal resolution can be scaled but it’s fixed to one (640x448), the A.i. service doesn’t work with it (RA’s screenshot feature isn’t working for me, despite being listed in the docs). Probably some other bugs.

pcsx2 completely gave up on my end worked before didn´t has the standalone now vulkan ? i think i wait till this is added to the core before messing again with it.

it seems something happens with dolphin , they should really add changlogs to each core

Changelogs for the cores is a tricky subject. I think it’s best to just hunt info for each core yourself.

Pretty sure the Dolphin core commits are posted here:

I don’t think something major happened the last week or so. Core is still based on a pretty old 2y+ build and it still has core specific problems the standalone doesn’t have, like ubershaders not working as intended or additional graphics bugs. And then you have the Wii controls, which is pretty much impossible to configure properly in the core.

IMO, in Dolphin’s case (and PCSX2 obviously) it might be best to just stick with the standalones.

1 Like

yeah nothing major i read something about disc transfer has changed nothing more

dolphin core is fine for gamecube games , for most wii games lnot so much

and pcsx2 was running equal with path of neo even better than standalone

and now it dosn´t work for me and i read anywhere from many folks that they have have differnt problems with it :sweat_smile:

yabause is another one where i have problems with some games , some freeze at loading times …and others have glitching sprites

Yabause was never a good Saturn emulator IMO, even as a standalone. It was always SSF for me. And in RetroArch you can use Beetle Saturn instead, which is currently at a good state.

1 Like

oh i will try it never used one of the beetle cores

Beetle Saturn is great… that’s the one I use.

1 Like

yeah just testet it runs Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius , super turbo , radiant silvergun and sega ages outrun just fine they all had huge errors on yabause . thx for telling me that ^^

but now the real test

SEGA SATURN, SHIRO

1 Like

i found these two

:thinking: they are also old but when this still starts/uses the standalone version… and maybe the bash launcher is useful for more things

You better stick to pscx2 (nightly builds → contineously updates almost daily) …
I have found out the pcsx2 core in RA is realy obsolete and outdated :pleading_face: !

Plus, graphics on stand alone looks WAY MORE Crisp/sharp and clean 3x upscaled to 1080p :smirk: :ok_hand:

Believe me, compatibility is great too… Have completed an couple games in the meanwhile using pcsx2 stand alone…

Also, many options you can toy with in the stand alone versions.
Like the possibility to create pre-configurated settings per game very much like rpcs3 (ps3 emulator) :grin: :+1: … Very handy for “some” troublesome games (glitches / In-game progress) like BO2 (legacye of kain series) , wich i have completed 100 % btw :yum:

cheers TD

I’m surprised that Retroarch doesn’t make core updates more of a big deal, I would have thought that a core update would be something to celebrate and announce. There is little information when Retroarch updates a core and as far as I know no feed you can follow to get information on the latest core updates.

2 Likes

it doesn’t usually create a positive/rewarding experience for us, unfortunately.

We have hundreds of cores that get updates of varying importance at sporadic intervals, but any given user only uses a handful, so general update announcements are usually greeted with 1.) a yawn, 2.) complaints that we wasted time working on core X while core Y still has Z problem(s) or 3.) threads like this one where people get together and talk about how it doesn’t matter that we updated core X because nobody should use it anyway since standalone is so much better.

It only takes a few of those experiences to sour someone on the whole concept, not to mention it takes a lot of time and effort to collate and present that information for end-user consumption.

4 Likes