DooM and it's variants

Okay recently I came into possession of the old DooM Games, and was able to extract the wad files and such, DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, HERETIC.WAD, HEXENDD.WAD, HEXEN.WAD, etc. Now what sort of setup is required for these games to work using Lakka? would a mouse and keyboard be advisable? what is with the prboom.wad that is listed in the bios section of the FAQ? Finally what can I expect using a raspberry pi 3 with these games on Lakka 2.0.

Note: these are the full versions, not shareware.

Our core doesn’t support Hexen or Heretic AFAIK, but you should be able to run the doom and doom2 wads. I also don’t think mouse control works with our core, which is intended for gamepad control.

The prboom.wad is like a BIOS for the core. It contains things that are necessary for the engine to function.

RPi3 should be able to run them fine, I think.

Okay then so I can go to hell but I can’t play with magic, got it.

Joking aside, I guess that makes sense. Is there any cores that do support Heretic (or Hexen)? Maybe not in the Lakka specific sets, but within retroarch that can be added to Lakka or would I be better off just jumping into Raspbian and going for it that way at this time?

There are no other RetroArch cores for Doom, but yeah, anything like chocolate doom or whatever should be doable via Raspbian, and you should be able to get RetroArch either from RetroPie or using the ARM packages from the libretro PPA.

Alright, thanks for the advice hunterk. I’ll get the compiling engines going and go that path.

Update: Well curiosity got the better of me and I threw my doom wads into a folder in my roms storage and added the prboom.wad to the system folder and low and behold, failed to load. I doubt there was a problem with the files as they still matched the checksums before and after retrieving them, did I mess up the positioning of the files or are my files corrupt (doubt the last one as they scanned just fine even Heretic and Hexen since I dropped them in by accident)?

try putting a copy of the prboom.wad in the same directory as your Doom wads. If it still fails, get us a log and we can see if it’s anything obvious.

understood, trying it now. will update this post when I have results (and a log if things go poorly)

Edit: Works now, controls are about what I expected though… dreadful to anybody that came from keyboard and mouse but playable.

Those games can be played in DosBox too. I don’t know if a Pi is powerful enough to run them though.

Playing them in dosbox is not a fun experience, from control glitches to random slowdowns. It’s a far better experience to run from source ports. That and the source ports also tend to have bugs and glitches fixed that were in the original releases.

Isn’t doom supposed to have music? The sound works fine, but I dont hear any music. I adjusted the music setting but no effect.

You need the music in mp3 format in the same directory as your wad files (or so it seems, based on my installation)

where do you get the music?

I recall it was just floating around the internets. I probably searched for ‘doom music mp3’ or something like that.

Hi to everyone, is there a way to install ZDoom or GZDoom in lakka? I want to run Brutal Doom but I prefer lakka over RetroPie. Thanks in advance.

No, we only have the prboom core. ZDoom or GZDoom would need to be ported over to libretro.

So RetroPie isn’t Libretro based?

RetroPie isn’t Libretro based?

RetroPie uses RetroArch/libretro for a lot of things, but they also have some standalone programs/emulators that they can call on. Lakka is 100% RetroArch/libretro.

Thanks for the infos! So I will use RetroPie only for Doom because I prefer lakka. Changing SD cards will give me e better retrogaming experience :wink: