Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

It will take some editing on your end. You will need to change the reference shader in my presets to reference the Death to Pixels preset. SInce it is in the root shader folder you can use the :/ syntax for the RA root so (:/shaders/NameOfDeathToPixels.slangp)

Also keep in mind you need to use the presets designed for the base shader he is referencing, either ADV or STD.

On some systems it may be more complicated (i.e. LCD screens where I am using hidden fake sanlines.) but on most it should be pretty easy.

3 Likes

OK then.

My computer is going under the knife as of five minutes from now.

The surgery will take at least most of today.

Wish us luck. :grin:

3 Likes

@Aeoliza

I wanted to mention that the shader may be updated in the coming weeks. My presets, and probably @Cyber’s also, will undergo some changes.

You may want to hold off on any large scale conversions until the after the update, although getting a few to work now to get some practice, would be beneficial when the time comes.

5 Likes

Good luck on your build! I’ve been procrastinating a migration of an Intel Chipset RAID 0 array to an AMD Chipset RAID 0 array for the longest while and my OLED TV decided it wasn’t going to work on Saturday morning so I have to fix that as well.

3 Likes

I wanted to try out your PDP-1 overlay for spacewar - somehow i am not able to get the game centert within the bezel. retroarch 1.9.12 , mame current. pulling my hair over here :smile: need help :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think it now requires a new version of the shader. Be patient and all will be well.

3 Likes

oh i see … 1.9.13 seems to take away all the shaders

1 Like

That shouldn’t be the case. Can you elaborate?

I have to withdraw this statement. Everything fine and working ! My Retroarch settings have been overwritten when updating to 1.9.13 , yikes ! I am sorry, mea culpa.

3 Likes

So… my PC upgrade has not gone smoothly. :frowning_face:

The build was OK, and first boot brought me to the BIOS to auto setup the CPU. But subsequent boots I had no HDMI output on my discreet card… ANY discreet card. :hushed:

I can get output on the integrated card. :thinking:

I went through the usual steps, finally contacted ASUS, went through some steps with them, and no go.

I am RMA-ing the motherboard, a replacement is on the way already.

Here’s hoping that we are correct and I just got a bad MB.

I do have to say though, when it was running, it was very pretty. :grin:

I have installed my old hardware, with the exception of three of my HDDs, into a different case while I sort everything out.

6 Likes

Hi @Duimon, just want to thank you for the really cool presets that you have made! And it’s awesome that there are so many to choose from. They enhance that retro feel for sure.

6 Likes

I am about 5 minutes away from my first boot on the replacement motherboard.

Wish me luck. :wink:

7 Likes

Wow! That was quick! What CPU/Motherboard did you decide to go with?

Good luck!

1 Like

I don’t know if you saw my previous post about a lemon MB.

I am going with an ASUS Z590-A and an i9 11900K. Two 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 drives, and 64GB of G.Skill Trident memory. (Along with the hardware I am carrying over. 8 x 3.5 HDDs, a Gigabyte WiFi/BT 5.0 adapter, and a SIIG SC-SA0R11-S1 eSATA controller)

Build update: The replacement motherboard is not having the same issues as the first.

I am also building my first Ryzen system as a backup everyday box, since my old Intel system is slated to become the new HTPC. (Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS, and another 1 TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 drive.)

A little modest compared to the new i9 build but I wanted to get my feet wet in the Ryzen waters without risking too much money.

2 Likes

Yes, I have been following, these forums are like a new refuge for me. Lol

I thought you might have gone 12th gen seeing as you upgraded around this time. Nothing is wrong with 11th gen though, 12th gen has many caveats.

That’s a good start for Ryzen and I bet you got that 3600 for next to nothing. I would have recommended the 5600X over it though but I don’t know your budget. The 5600X would have traded blows with the 11900K in many benchmarks, especially in gaming due to better latency and IPC (than the 3600). At least it’s an option for the future or even something beefier like a 5800X or whatever last hurrar AMD is offering to AM4 users next year (possibly Zen 3 XT or Zen 3D).

Just a word of warning, Windows 11 is really a mixed bag. So far it seems like it’s more bad than good for me but it’s part of my livelihood to learn the new stuff.

Be sure to install the latest AMD drivers for your Ryzen system and also Ryzen Master to take advantage of literal 1 click overclocking of that 3600! Don’t even bother to try doing it from the BIOS/UEFI. Just go into Ryzen Master click on Auto OC and enjoy your free Ryzen 5 3600X upgrade!

What a prophetic statement this turned out to be! I had no clue I was going to overhaul my presets again so soon but it did happen! Are you sure you’re in the right line of work? Lol

1 Like

I was actually trying to build a Ryzen system that compared to my i7 6700K, not the new build. From what I’ve seen in benchmarks the 3600 ought to outperform the 6700K in some scenarios.

Since I am upgrading from a 6700K to an 11900K I think I will be fairly happy with the money I spent. The MB, CPU, M.2s, and memory collectively cost me less that my RTX 1070 Ti. :hushed:

I was hoping it handled 4K monitors better. Windows 10 just doesn’t have it together yet.

In any case I will give WIn11 a spin and if I hate it I can just wipe the drive and go with Win10.

3 Likes

I went in and changed my MB to a Gigabyte and the CPU to a 5600G. I’ll have a fairly beefy backup PC. :grin:

2 Likes

You can’t go wrong with that combination! The 5600G sacrifices some of the cache of the 5600X so it might perform slightly worse in many instances but certainly ahead of the 3600 and it’s higher latency 2 chiplet design.

Gigabyte boards are my usual go to as far as high quality motherboards at reasonable prices go. I rate their quality right up there with Asus even though their accompanying software can sometimes be hit or miss. I also highly rate MSI in recent times. These are my two primary brand choices for motherboards and graphics cards. I also use AsRock boards for clients who are on a budget.

If I would hazard a guess, I’m guessing you got that combo for more or less the same as the Asus Mobo/Ryzen 5 3600 CPU combo?

In general I would expect the Ryzen 5 3600 to run circles around the i7-6700K. So it’s more like in most to all scenarios. With the 5600G it’s an even larger leap. Remember this isn’t Zen1 or Zen+ we’re talking about here. In both cases you’re talking about a quad core 8 thread CPU going up against 6 core 12 thread CPUs with higher IPC and comparable clock speeds.

Word of note though. Don’t be alarmed at higher temperatures than you’re used to depending on the cooler you’re using. This is because Ryzen is designed to utilize the thermal headroom available in order to maximize single threaded performance. It’s called PBO and it works automagically.

And lastly, there’s no benefit to running your RAM over 3600 - 3733 MHz as that’s the maximum stable speed of the CPU’s external bus. Anything higher and it’ll downclock the infinity fabric which will increase latency and lead to less than optimal performance.

3 Likes

I didn’t do a combo deal. I picked the MB because it has built-in Wifi which gave me an extra PCIe slot.

You are correct though, that it cost about the same. (Which was what I was hoping for.)

I also purchased two additional cases, one to house my old system while I do R&D on the new HTPC, and one for an i7 x58 upgrade for my lovely wife. (Since I have spare matching backup hardware for my current HTPC.)

Combined with the two server cases I recently bought, (And the time it will take to get them up to speed.) I should have plenty to keep me busy in the coming months. :grin:

It is a good thing that I already bought my lovely wife, (And myself. :innocent:) a new 6.5 quart mixer. I won’t have much in the budget for another Xmas gift.

3 Likes

A happy wife = A happy life, so be sure to spoil her first whenever you get the chance!

3 Likes