Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

All JAKKS Pacific TV games who’s working are marked green or yellow on the list below

You need the good set roms : all roms start by JAK_

you only need the info i posted earlier :

• Put the roms in folder with the others Mame roms
  • Launch game
  • Then F1 / options and enable "Boot from CLI (you don’t need to do this for each game, it save when you close Retroarch) The games need this option enable cuz they aren’t standard arcade cabinet games but TV plug and play games
  • Restart / reset game

Ex : JAK_CAPC Capcom 3-in-1 (1942, Commando, Ghosts’n Goblins) (JAKKS Pacific TV Game, Game-Key Ready)

1 Like

Okay, here we go like I’m a five yars old trying to solve JAKKS (more like Jackass) Pacific TV set up :innocent:

• STEP 01: I do have required MAME system files extracted from the latest MAME 0.239 standalone build.

RetroArch MAME Current core 0.239 system files (don’t mind 0.232 they just backups) :point_down:

RetroArch MAME current core 0.239 system files

• STEP 02: I did set up MAME Current 0.239 config file (MAME.opt). Required settings identified with blue bullet points next to them :point_down:

• STEP 03: For the sake of the step-by-step following, I do have Capcom 3-in-1 (1942, Commando, Ghosts’n Goblins) (JAKKS Pacific TV Game, Game-Key Ready) (29 MAR 2005 B) placed in rom folder :point_down:

Afterwards, I tried to load the jak_capc.zip with the MAME - Current 0.239 core but without success :tired_face:

And below, I tried to explain how I managed to run Spider-Man game from my experience.

I can run Spider-Man successfully within the folder called jakks_gamekey_mv. The exact look of the folder structure and what lies inside each of zip files are shown below consecutively.

This is bcatdoc.zip and what’s inside :point_down:

This is jak_spdm.zip and what’s inside :point_down:

And this is jak_spdmo sub folder which resides inside of jak_spdm.zip :point_down:

Also note that, without this exact folder structure, even Spider-Man doesn’t load. I had jakks_gamekey_mv.zip file from MAME 0239 Software List and obtained jak_spdm.zip file from MAME 208 Roms.

• Extracted jakks_gamekey_mv.zip file within a folder and this is what it’s resulted jakks_gamekey_mv > bcatdoc.zip

• I’ve put jak_spdm.zip file inside of jakks_gamekey_mv folder, next to the bcatdoc.zip file :point_down:

jak_spdm.zip file

Then fired up RetroArch and followed content load up procedure;

Main Menu > Load Content > jak_spdm.zip > Load Archive > Arcade (MAME - Current)

:drum: …and voila! :tada: :partying_face:

Sorry, @Duimon hope you excuse me for posting this here :innocent:

Rest assured, I have no intention to keep this topic going at this point. I gave up on this. Just wanted to leave my experience as a future reference for whoever might have find it useful somehow :wink:

2 Likes

I believe this is the issue. There should be no folder structure in the jak_spmn.zip. You are using a merged MAME romset. This will also change the MAME requirements. i.e. “boot from cli”.

In a non-merged set you will have three spiderman roms.

jak_spdm.zip
jak_spdmo.zip
jak_spdmoa.zip
5 Likes

Thanks guys. Ya’ll being specific helped me figure out how to run it. With the Spider-Man game, all I have is the jak_spdm.zip file with only the bin file.

Edit: I tried to load the jake_capc.zip and it worked. You might just have a bad copy of it.

3 Likes

If you have verbose logging on, and SL enabled, you will see the MAME core say the this is an unrecognized system.

As far as I can figure out, the folder name makes no difference, as long as SL is off.

2 Likes

As i can see with your folders structure, you’re using this method

My structure is simple :

RetroArch
    └ system
        └ mame
            └ cheat
            └ history
            └ ini
            └ plugins
            └ mame.ini
            └ plugin.ini

My mame.ini is directly linked to my mame install folder inluded roms folder

This is surely the reason why we have a misunderstanding

And this is my option in Retroarch :

• Soflists ENABLE
  • Soflists automatic media type ENABLE
  • Boot from CLI ENABLE

1 Like

The fact that you are using this, in combination with a front end, is the only reason this is working. The “enable” software lists settings aren’t doing anything.

Launchbox is just running the game using the standard rom method.

If you disable the auto SL options, you can also disable the Boot to CLI, unless Launchbox requires it.

My instructions will allow these to be run as content in RA. Not everyone uses a front end.

And you forgot to mention turning on the read config option that allows the CLI to use the ini.

2 Likes

effectively, sometimes i’m using Launchbox also… but all my tests was without the frontend and was run as content in RA :thinking: All Jakk roms are working as intented from my mame playlist.

2 Likes

I should mention that Enable the Boot to CLI in options but save as Game Option or Directory. If you don’t do this than regular arcade games aren’t going to work. I found out the hard way.

1 Like

If you disable the CLI, it won’t work, If you leave it on and disable the SL settings it still does. The means that RA isn’t using the SL method. (Because there isn’t one for this system.)

What you are doing is running the content via command line. To do this with a SL using the “roms” folder, instead of the method you linked to, you would need to pass the SL internal name, and media, to the core also. (From the command line.) You could not run it as content.

I will do some more testing, but I never add a MAME machine that involves a complicated setup. It leads to lengthy support discussions like this one.

2 Likes

I am assuming this is because of the boot to CLI option, and the mame.ini.

I don’t want to create the need for two or three tutorials on getting MAME SL running. creating a mame.ini and using it is outside the scope of my support.

and you forgot a big headache :grin: (it work for me…I give up)

First of all thanks everyone for heads up :relaxed:

The issue for my case was because I was using marged romset like @Duimon suggested.

The problem was because I so used to set up other obscure systems with SL method and that fooled me quite a lot. Especially since Spider-Man was first game that was successfully ran I was too focused to make other roms work the same way :man_facepalming:

It was indeed more straightforward than SL method just like @Duimon mentioned from the beginning.

I set up core .opt file like this :point_down:

and put all the roms to the same folder and all games working now :partying_face:

2 Likes

Unless you are using the ini, because it defines the rom path.

Oh ok. I am just using Retroarch with the MAME core straight up.

Exactly. Simple, so I can support it. :grin:

2 Likes

Using the CLI can cause real issues with loading systems. The SL list method gets around these because the hash XML feeds MAME the requires media info. (Like a boot disc for running a non-bootable CD image.)

Here’s an example.

<description>Fujitsu Habitat V2.1L10</description>
		<year>1994</year>
		<publisher>富士通 (Fujitsu)</publisher>
		<info name="serial" value="HMB-183"/>
		<info name="alt_title" value="富士通 Habitat V2.1L10" />
		<info name="release" value="199405xx" />
		<info name="usage" value="Requires 2 MB RAM"/>
		<part name="flop1" interface="floppy_3_5">
			<dataarea name="flop" size="1261568">
				<rom name="habitatv2.1l10.hdm" size="1261568" crc="4dc2691b" sha1="a99ada487e1970240a284eb67f7420b13c45f265" />
			</dataarea>
		</part>
		<part name="cdrom" interface="fmt_cdrom">
			<diskarea name="cdrom">
				<disk name="fujitsu habitat v2.1l10 (japan)" sha1="5704f482ca0bb17e0a01f82bfc4ea272a7534bda" />
			</diskarea>
		</part>
	</software>

First the XML feeds MAME the floppy image, and then the CD image.

There is probably a way of doing this from the command line and skipping the SL method, but I am not even interested in learning it. (Let alone teaching 1000 new users how to do it 1000 times.)

1 Like

From my understanding the JAKKS is a little weird. It runs the games using the driver the original game ran on, not a JAKKS driver. So no SL folder.

I am not 100% sure my method gives the same experience as the real JAKKS devices did, but the games run, which is all I care about.

MAME is a strange beast.

4 Likes

Thanks to the newest features in the shader, I have updated my Vectrex presets.

Until now, the Gel over the screen was the same size as the game screen. In reality the Gel was larger. That has been fixed and the games now more accurately line up with the Gel details.

I also added night presets and made adjustments so the semi transparent Gel can still be seen in night mode. (It was too dark in the single existing night preset.)

8 Likes

I updated the Vectrex again. I thought the Gel was a bit too bright at night.

8 Likes