What are the Potato presets? Are they just presets for people with slower pcs?
Thanks everybody. I went ahead and tried a couple things, which I was able to fix the problem. I just turned Interlacing and Fake Scanlines Trigger Res down and set Fake Scanlines opacity to 70.
Yes, they are essentially an overlay. They use a bare minimum of the Mega Bezel features, like screen scaling, black edge line width, curvature, etc. They only have one image layer and no reflection or generated bezel. They do support the dual screen feature, which is one of the many reasons they are superior to overlays.
They have a number of base presets to choose from for the reference shader.
I am using GDV-MINI and LCD-GRID.
Speaking of overlays. As previously stated, the 4K overlays my Potato graphics are based on are in my Retroarch-Overlays/Logo repo.
Eventually I will do sample configs that can be used as an override template, along with coordinates in a readme. The coordinates can be used to convert the overlays for use in MAME and Rocketlauncher.
I also plan on doing a visual guide to using the “Render for Simplified Presets” parameters in the shader, which is what I used to create the graphics.
Yeah, the semi transparent screen gels add a lot of colors to the count, which is what makes the file size so large.
Yeah this helps with the Moire, because the fake scanlines are not curved by default, so if you are happy with the look it’s a good solution, I may put in an option to so it could automatically match the core resolution.
Well if you’re going to put out commits that size for me to grab when I get home from Scout meetings, I’m going to have to attend more meetings, haha!
It turned out to be only 2.53 GB of overlays. I replaced all the old “Logo” overlays with a complete set of overlays that match the Mega Bezel presets, (i.e. Bezel, Custom_Bezel_001, Monitor, PVM20 etc.) and consolidated the night into the same folder.
The naming convention is following my graphics for the potato presets. Now that I think of it, I may change that. (Or not. )
Thanks for these YouTube export settings Cyb, it’s really really interesting!
I’ll give them a try as soon as I start to produce videos again to promote my next iteration of Mega Bezels with some extra Death to Pixel flavour
Now I am going to have to try the overlays out. I honestly didn’t know you created overlays of the Mega Bezel presets.
This is only the first time I have used this method. In the past I composited all the layers in Photoshop and used a vector bezel clone I created in Illustrator. It took a lot of time, trial, and error to figure out how to accurately change the color of the bezels.
For the Night and LED layers I used the same blending modes I did for the Mega Bezel presets before @HyperspaceMadness created the additional image layers. I am still using these methods for the Batocera decorations.
This new method is much easier and produces results identical to the Mega Bezel presets.
Of course, taking 1500+ screenshots still takes a bit of time. (Day, night, and at least one mask of each preset.)
I did create a few Photoshop actions to automate applying the masks and renaming/reorganizing the layers. I even wasted a full morning on developing a command-line script to automatically export the PNGs, until I realized the 3rd party tool it wasn’t applying the masks.
I figured this was most likely the way you was doing the Potato presets.
So the method is in experimentation mode and if all goes well, mind as well just use it from now on. Which ever way is the easiest on the creator because I have been there myself with web development.
The main caveat is that the results are 72dpi instead of the 300dpi I have in my mission statement. That is acceptable for Potato presets and overlays, but not for the Mega Bezel graphics. It deserves more.
Yeah I meant just for the overlays. The method definitely wouldn’t work for the customization of the STD and ADV shaders.
If you are interested in taking a look at my old method, the source for the old overlays is still in my source repo.
I know the first set were my custom settings but it’s you who actually showed me Google’s recommended settings if I recall correctly which one can use to avoid reencoding.
Infact, I was referring to these custom ones. Using the standard YouTube profiles will end up in some pixel crushing even at highest bitrate, we operate in a very difficult context because of the micro-details from loving shadow masks!
I was toying around with the Virtual Boy potato, trying to get a good look from one of the potato base presets, and stumble across an EASYMODE setting that I liked. I liked it so much I tried it on the 3DS.
It uses mask 3 at minimum size, with no scanlines. The mask also doesn’t change with internal resolution. Here it is at 10x.
The new Potato presets have been added to the repo.
There are a few things that don’t look like they are intended to.
The vignette is dark. (For some reason it is being applied twice)
The backgrounds aren’t over the screen in the Palm, and Vectrex.
Everything is playable though.
I have kept my intended settings so when the bugs are squashed I shouldn’t have to change anything.
Now that they are out of the way I can get back to my FM7 graphic.