Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

@Duimon DOSBOX Pure was updated to version 0.9.5, which is able to run Windows 95/98, have you thought in making some late 90’s monitor bezel? Or you don’t have plans to do something like that?

2 Likes

i have nothing against it. :grin:

4 Likes

The Acorn Atom is in the repo.

Some shots.

Not a lot of games for this system but I’m sure compatibility will improve. :grin:

I’m doing the Acorn Electron next and there are a great many games for that one.

8 Likes

The new Mega Bezel update will allow me to do some new things with the night mode. Specifically I can use a night background and adjust the Ambient Lighting Layer separately.

Here is a possible example.

Old…

New…

I’ll have to play with it a bit, experiment with the new Add mode, and maybe render a couple new Night images.

Exciting stuff! :grin:

7 Likes

Looks really good!, it helps to separate from the background.

If we wanted to be really fancy we could add a second ambient image and allow the user to choose which one to use for each layer…

3 Likes

@Duimon with which emulator in Retroarch runs Acorn Archimides and Atom

2 Likes

The MAME (current) core.

The atom needs some special help. If you really want to get it up and running I can fill you in. (It needs to NOT use the software lists and requires running from the command line with an autoboot switch.)

MAME can be kind of tricky with the more obscure tape and floppy systems.

Or you can just run Batocera Linux. They have done all the hard work for you. :grin:

4 Likes

Here is a new one.

The Acorn Electron! :grin:

This is another tricky one to get working. :frowning_face:

The graphic is pretty simple, (So was the machine.) I will eventually add the cassette data recorder as an optional layer. (Probably not until after I finish my list.)

This should be in the repo tonight. (Unless I do some kind of monitor for it.)

6 Likes

I will probably do the Sanyo DMC8500.

4 Likes

hi again, i am trying to run the archimedes system have got it running but getting broken path error when clicking, disk in bottom left corner, also seems to be using the oldest bios, i have folder as “aa310” how do i make it use risc os bios ? have tried renaming folder but cant get it right thanks for any help you can give me again :+1:

1 Like

Hi Duimon,

Would you like to share your autoboot switch for retroarch using mame?

I’ve been trying tons of variations without any luck “atom -rp “L:\LaunchBox\Games\Acorn Atom” -autoboot_command “???” -flop1 “%romfile%””

2 Likes

I am using “aa4401” make sure to have the mame aa4401.zip rom in the folder.

2 Likes

You need to make sure to have an atom.opt in your config/mame/ folder. mine looks like this…

mame_alternate_renderer = "disabled"
mame_altres = "640x480"
mame_auto_save = "disabled"
mame_boot_from_cli = "enabled"
mame_boot_to_bios = "disabled"
mame_boot_to_osd = "disabled"
mame_buttons_profiles = "enabled"
mame_cheats_enable = "disabled"
mame_cpu_overclock = "default"
mame_lightgun_mode = "none"
mame_mame_4way_enable = "disabled"
mame_mame_paths_enable = "disabled"
mame_media_type = "rom"
mame_mouse_enable = "enabled"
mame_read_config = "disabled"
mame_saves = "game"
mame_softlists_auto_media = "disabled"
mame_softlists_enable = "disabled"
mame_throttle = "disabled"
mame_write_config = "disabled"

My command line looks like this…

E:\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L "E:\RetroArch\cores\mame_libretro.dll" "atom -rompath "E:\Temp\atom" -flop1 "E:\Temp\atom\galxians.zip" -autoboot_delay "2" -autoboot_command "*dos\n*dir\n*cat\n*run"galaxi"\n`

the non-paired quote before the driver name "atom is needed in all of my command lines… I have no idea why. You can try it without and see if it works for you. I get a failed path error in my verbose log when I do.

The last part…

*run"galaxi"

can be found in the system/mame/hash/atom_flop.xml

it is diferrent for each game.

After you get it to run this way then, in your atom.opt…

if you use…

mame_read_config = “enabled”

and temporarily have…

mame_write_config = “enabled”

It will write the rompath to an ini file. Turn off write config once you verify the ini contents.

Now you can eliminate the rompath from your command line. :grin:

There is a method used on Android where you strip the command line down to…

atom -rompath "E:\Temp\atom" -flop1 "E:\Temp\atom\galxians.zip" -autoboot_delay "2" -autoboot_command "*dos\n*dir\n*cat\n*run"galaxi"\n`

and use it as the contents of a *.cmd. (In this case I would name it galxians.cmd)

This can be loaded as content by the MAME core like a rom. I have gotten the method to work with the Alice32 and bbcb but I have been having issues with other systems. It may just not work well on Windows.

2 Likes

thanks again for the help, my current up to date mame set doesn’t have this aa4401.zip file but have found it in another place. have it up and running now thanks for the help and all that you do :+1:

2 Likes

hey again, is there a way to just download the changes to your repo, currently i download as zip and just extract to the folder overwriting what’s there incase there’s been any changes ?

thanks

2 Likes

Yes. Use the Git installation method.

The instructions are at the end of the second post.

3 Likes

Here is the Electron “Monitor” WIP.

I have no idea if anyone actually used the Sanyo DMC8500 with the Electron, but it was available at the time and had the needed inputs. :grin:

10 Likes

It doesn’t matter, at least to me, that people used the monitor with the Electron just if it was actually possible. The Sanyo does look really good with it, having a similar color style.

5 Likes

I’m not sure it did. Every shot I can find, and there aren’t many, are damaged and yellow.

That’s one of the cool things about creating my own art… I can make it any color I want. :grin:

All of the BBC computers will use the same base color profile, which is in turn based on my Amiga 500 graphic.

This really makes my life easier. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for your elaborate answer. And it works!!! Only thing I need to figure out is how to get launchbox to handle the last part of the auto_command. Cause indeed for instance the… “run"galaxi”…it is different for each game Launching it with a different cmd file does not work sadly. Nonetheless…I can experiment now. Hopefully in the future, mame and retroarch will remove these kinds of barriers and make it more user friendly.

2 Likes